Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    World Class

Default Match Preview: Derby day in Glasgow - but not as we know it

Tomorrow we go into our first Glasgow derby of the season, but the Broomloan won't be full of green and white hoops, there won't be tonnes of extra police and there probably won't be the same level of hate either.

Ibrox will be the scene of what is pretty much known as the original Glasgow derby. Queen's Park come to town, the oldest club in Scotland who's home is and always has been the national stadium, so it should be a pretty short bus journey for them. When Rangers were first formed by Moses McNeil and company and playing on Flesher's Haugh going against Queen's Park was a dream, the first competitive game eventually came on the 22nd of March 1879 in the Scottish Cup quarter final at Hampden, Rangers winning 1-0.

Fairly regular meetings began to take place after the formation of the Scottish Football League, but eventually as we all know Rangers fortunes took a huge upturn while The Spiders stayed and remain to this day an amateur club, something they're proud of. Our demotion to the Third Division means this is the first league game between the two teams since the 1957/58 season. Since then there has only been three cup meetings, the most recent being the 20th of August 1991 in the League Cup second round at Ibrox, Rangers winning 6-0 thanks to four goals from Mo Johnston and another two shared between Ian Durrant and Nigel Spackman.

Back to the present day, we not only find ourselves in the same league as our old local rivals but also below them in the table, with Queen's leading the way at the top. Our horrendous away form which reached it's lowest ebb when we lost 1-0 away to bottom side Stirling Albion leaves us 4th in the table, but the match tomorrow presents a chance go above our opponents and perhaps even top depending on other results. It feels like a long time since that painful display and result at Stirling after an international break, coupled with some off the field issues which have arisen this week i'd say it'll be a relief to us all to get back to the football.

Our home form leaves little to grumble about, we've won all three of our home games in the league and won well. However, our Ramsden's Cup exit showed our failings can come into Ibrox as well so we have to do so much better than the last fixture. The best news in a while is that Andy Little, still our top goalscorer for the Third Division, is back in the squad although there must be doubt about him being ready to start after a lengthly absence. Despite the last result I can see Ally McCoist going with pretty much the same line up due to lack of options, perhaps with Barrie McKay thrown in, Kevin Kyle could also get a first start and Kal Naismith staked a claim when he scored the winner against Forres. Sadly we still can't call on our exciting winger David Templeton so hopefully the likes of Fraser Aird and Dean Shiels can give us the creativity we so badly need, as well as the full backs Anestis Argyriou and Lee Wallace, two of our better players in my opinion. McCoist's managerial ability and position at Rangers has been the subject of some debate after a run of four away games and no wins but Charles Green has given him his backing so this is a great opportunity for him to start to turn things around.

There's an element of romance about the match tomorrow but the cold hard fact of life is it's a massive game for Rangers as we try and get out of this league and one that nothing other than a win, a good win many would say, is acceptable.

Banned

Getting more and more pissed off I'm missing this one.

Anyway I've gave up trying to second guess Ally on team selection but I will go for a 3-1 Gers win.

RT @RFC_Rab: Less than 1000 tickets remaining (exc. restricted view seats).

Banned

If we get promotion in May I hope The Spiders come up with us for another round of games next season.

Btw..why is an amateur club allowed to play in the SFL?

Club Legend

Quote Originally Posted by 54andcounting View Post
    Btw..why is an amateur club allowed to play in the SFL?
    I think this is one of those backward questions that need to be turned around. Why should they not be allowed? They were founder member of the originally amateur SFL when ALL clubs were amateurs. What reason is there to kick them out now? They hold a special place in Scottish football and that's the reason they are allowed to play at Hampden instead of being bought out - which should really pay off for them this season.

Don't eat the yellow snow Zappa's Avatar

That's your preview published simplythebest. Many thanks!

Match Preview: Derby day in Glasgow - but not as we know it

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by calscot View Post
    I think this is one of those backward questions that need to be turned around. Why should they not be allowed? They were founder member of the originally amateur SFL when ALL clubs were amateurs. What reason is there to kick them out now? They hold a special place in Scottish football and that's the reason they are allowed to play at Hampden instead of being bought out - which should really pay off for them this season.
    No...I didn't mean kick them out, perish the thought, just wondered why they're not playing in an amateur league like every other amateur team.

If they were founder members of the amateur league then why are they playing in the professional league, just seems a strange one to me.

ALLY McCOIST reckons he’ll have to hit his players over the head with an AXE if they suffer any more horror shows.
    The Rangers gaffer insists he’s repeatedly hammered home that their shocking displays on the road are unacceptable.

The 1-0 defeat at Stirling Albion was the last straw for Coisty, who claims he doesn’t want any more excuses after showdown talks with his men.

And he joked the next step will be drastic measures with a firmer hand — like his old boss Jock Wallace.

McCoist said: “I believe we’re as thorough as we can be and, bar hitting them over the head with an axe and putting an envelope in, I’m not sure what more you can do.

“I’ve not tried it, but one or two of my previous managers have. I could name a couple — big Jock for example!

“I have total confidence in our players getting out of the Third Division but we can’t have any more wake-up calls. We’ve run out — going to places and saying we’re up against this or that, or that it’s not a very good ground.

“You’re sick of me saying it and you’re probably sick of bringing it up. So it’s time we did something about it.

“In terms of getting the message across to them, there is nothing different being done.

“We show them the opposition and previous games that have been played against them.

“But there has to be a time when the players have to register and accept responsibility.

“That’s not me passing the buck. Ultimately, the responsibility is mine and that will always be the case with the manager — but there is a time when the players have to take it on board.”

McCoist believes meetings with the squad during the international break have cleared the air.

He added: “We eyeballed each other. We had good discussions and I think that’s very healthy.

“Everyone doesn’t necessarily agree and everyone is entitled to their opinion but, effectively, I’m the man who has to make the decisions. They know that and they know I’ll stand by them.”

Gers welcome Queen’s Park to Govan today, with Ibrox close to a sell-out. McCoist has urged his players to man-up after finding life isn’t a bed of roses in the bottom tier.

He said: “I’m not going to sit here and say ‘give my players more protection’.

“If that’s the way the referee wants to officiate the game, I’m quite happy with it. It’s a man’s game — and it always has been.

“We have to match up to the physicality of it, that’s the bottom line. We don’t need to start rolling about and putting our hands up to the referee.

“We just have to start getting our sleeves rolled up and giving them the same back — fairly.

“The physical side of matches probably has come as a shock to one or two of the older ones.

“I don’t think the younger lads have been that surprised by it because it is all fresh and new.

“You have to match up to the opposition and be as physically aggressive as them within the laws of the game.

“And I would probably take the point that, to one or two of the older boys, it has been a little bit of a shock.

“But now’s the time — not next week or the week after — it’s now. So let’s get on with it.”

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...#ixzz29nAsvYZb

Banned

Refreshing words from Ally...but I prefer talking on the park.

Jock Wallace? How the hell did his name come up? Was he not before Ally's time?

Ach well, humping Queens Park shouldn't be too difficult, and when they kick us off the park then that's ok.

Edit: Sure Ally was there in his second spell, but we'd rather forget about that.
    Last edited by 54andcounting; 10-20-2012 at 01:19 AM.

I hope the international break hasnt made people forget about the last game. We've had 2 weeks to work hard in training. As its a home game we'll give a backlash of the Stirling result and a lot will paper over the cracks if its another 5-1 result.

We need to be very convincing today. If its a scrappy tight win or even worse then I fear for Ally.