March 25th 1984 ââ?¬â?? My First Old Firm Cup Final

A day that will life long in my memory not only due to this being my first ever Old Firm Cup Final but due to the dramatic nature of our eventual victory. I had been lucky enough to have seen Rangers win this trophy previously (against DUFC in 1982) and was due to go to the final in 1983 which would have been my first OF final. Thankfully (sic) I was taken unwell and was in hospital with a bout of appendicitis and missed our 2-1 defeat at the hands of our bitter rivals.

The League Cup has been a very successful competition for Rangers over the years and last season penalty shoot-out success against Dundee United marked our 25th victory in the League Cup. Another amazing statistic is that over the years, we have only ever lost 6 League Cup Finals (out of 31) a truly staggering statistic. We also suffered an embarrassing final defeat but weââ?¬â?¢ll gloss over that at this juncture and itââ?¬â?¢s worth remembering that this result wasnââ?¬â?¢t the greatest OF victory, we defeated Celtc 8-1 ââ?¬â?? before anyone tells you that this game doesnââ?¬â?¢t ââ?¬Ë?countââ?¬â?¢, Celtc count their solitary goal from that game in their official club history. I believe weââ?¬â?¢ll all remember the titanic finals against Aberdeen in 1988 and 1989 (3-3 and 3-2 respectively) of the fantastic 4-3 victory over Hearts at Tynecastle. The victory over Ayr United in 2002 will also be well remembered for an outlandish piece of showboating from Andre Kanchelskis :

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQJtZF_6Fyc]YouTube - Kanchelskis stands on the ball[/ame]

And if like me, you attended that 1995 final at Hampden then you are entitled to claim this as a victory, well it was a moral victory in my eyes!

Anyway, I digress, back to the League Cup Final in 1984 a season that ranks as one of the most traumatic in our history. John Greig eventually bowed in increasing pressure and resigned as Rangers manager and was replaced by Jock Wallace. Due to our disastrous start in the league, the cup competitions were (once again) our only true hope for any silverware. The road to Hampden started with a convincing 8-1 aggregate win over Queen of The South and this was followed by impressive victories over Hearts (3-0 at Tynecastle) and St Mirren (5-0 at Ibrox). These results, coupled with return fixtures ensure that Rangers qualified for a two legged Semi-Final against Dundee United. A credible 1-1 draw at Tannidice saw Rangers entertain the tangerines at Ibrox with a place in the final in the balance. From what I remember of the home leg, Rangers played extremely well and won the game 2-0 with Ian Redford scoring the decisive goal with a beautiful chip over the onrushing Hamish McAlpine. Davie Mitchell scored in both legs of the semi-final but wouldn�t feature in the cup final itself.

In the run up to the final, Jock Wallace had made an immediate impact and Rangers would embark on a 16 game unbeaten run that would eventually come to an end when Dundee won a Scottish Cup replay 3-2 at Ibrox and ended our chances of a domestic cup double.

As this was my first OF Cup Final, I didn�t really know what to expect. Would it be just like the league encounters? I was soon to find out. I wouldn�t sleep the Saturday evening (evening forgoing the Boys Club Disco to ensure that I was match fit for the Sunday). The supporters bus was a buzz of excitement and the journey to Hampden seemed to fly past and before I knew it, I was climbing the stairs on the way to section J. It is impossible to describe the build of noise that this climb generate, or on how louder this gets, reaching a crescendo as you took your place on the terracing. What would stick in my mind that day was the huge gaps in the Celtc end (see you tube links below) and just how louder and mope passionate the Rangers fans were. I know it�s romantic to think this way, but in some perverse memory, it felt that we did contribute to our eventual victory as the Rangers fans were ferocious in their backing of the team that day as I had ever seen them.

Just like the journey to the game, the game itself flew by and if I�m honest, all I can really remember of the game is the goals, well our goals anyway. Referee for the day was our old friend Bob Valentine and he award three penalties in the game, two to Rangers and one to Celtc and all three were converted. Our first goal was scored from a penalty just before half-time nicely tucked away by Ally McCoist. Rangers scored their 2nd goal on the hour mark after Sandy Clark won a long ball from Peter McCloy and headed the ball into the path of McCoist who slipped home past the despairing Bonner. Celtc equalised and sent then game into extra time, but not before a show of petulance from the Celtc team as they protested a booking to Roy Aitken in an overtly provocative fashion. In fact, a senior Policeman had to intervene. Unsurprisingly, this incident wasn�t included in the referees report and the players went unpunished (some things never change).

Anyway, into extra-time we went and Rangers were awarded another penalty when Roy Aitken fouled Ally McCoist in the penalty area and the referee correctly pointed to the spot. Another booking for Aitken leading to a red card? You would have thought so, but no, Aitken escaped further punishment and after the dust had settled, Ally McCoist stepped up to face Pat Bonner. The keeper guessed correctly and parried McCoistââ?¬â?¢s kick back out onto the six yard line where Super Ally was awaiting to, at the 2nd attempt, deposit the ball into the net. This is where your mind starts playing tricks with you especially over the ravages of time. From my vantage point, it appeared that the Celtc fans had been celebrating for numerous seconds before Ally put their ââ?¬Ë?gas at a peepââ?¬â?¢. In reality, they had barely the time to jump for joy before Ally reduced them to tears.

Well, that was it, bedlam, delirium, ecstasy et al ensued in the Rangers end and I remember being shunted about 10 stairs down and about 20 foot to my right in the celebrations. In fact, one of my friends that I was at the game with lost a trainer in the celebrations but decided that it was a price worth paying! The final whistle sparked further celebrations on and off the pitch and John McClelland led his troops up the famous Hampden stairs to receive the trophy. A huge cheer greeted him as he showed the glittering prize to the rank and file supporters. We had won the cup and my first OF final couldn�t have gone better.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih0JoTykCqY&feature=related]YouTube - Rangers vrs Celtic Hampden 83/84 part 1[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG1KwL7P1U0&feature=related]YouTube - Rangers vrs Celtic Hampden 83/84 part2[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGXIeCC0O0k&feature=related]YouTube - Rangers vrs Celtic Hampden 83/84 part3[/ame]

http://www.napit.co.uk/viewus/infobank/football/scottishleaguecup.php

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/old-firm/classicmatchreports/2009/02/10/league-cup-final-rangers-3-celtic-2-march-25-1984-86908-21112643/

Cammy F - :rfc: