Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez has ended speculation about his future by signing a new five-year contract.

Benitez's previous deal was due to expire at the end of the season and talks over an extension had stalled.

The Spaniard had turned down numerous offers from the club, but he has now agreed terms and put pen-to-paper, handing the club's fans a huge boost.

Benitez admitted he was 'delighted' to have committed his future to the Merseyside giants - who he joined in 2004.

"My heart is with Liverpool football club, so I'm delighted to sign this new deal," said Benitez.

Love

"I love the club, the fans and the city and with a club like this and supporters like this, I could never say no to staying. I always made clear I wanted to be here for a long time and when I complete my new contract it will mean I have spent over a decade in Liverpool.

"The club is greatly respected around the world due to its incredible history and tremendous heritage. It is my aim to uphold those values and help create a new chapter in our history.

"Throughout this process, I would like to thank the owners for their hard work in finalising the deal.

"All of us at the club want the same thing, which is to be successful by winning major trophies."

In a rare show of unity - Liverpool's co-chairman Tom Hicks and George Gillett both greeted the news that Benitez had finally agreed terms.

Unity

Hicks said: "It is wonderful news that Rafa has made a long-term commitment to the football club. Since he became Manager in 2004, he has been responsible for the great progress we have made. I know he will continue to build on his achievements as he has a tremendous hunger and desire to bring more success to the club - success our fans and everyone connected with the club deserves."

Gillett added: "With Rafa continuing to manage the team, we can look forward to more great football and success on the pitch. He has special abilities and qualities which are admired here at the club and around the world. Coming after our excellent wins over Real Madrid and Manchester United, this gives us great momentum going into the final stages of the season."

Benitez has signed his deal just days after one of the most successful weeks in the club's history as they firstly hammered Real Madrid in the UEFA Champions League before travelling to rivals Manchester United on Saturday where they recorded a 4-1 triumph.

The Reds, who have not won a league title since 1990, are currently four points adrift of Premier League leaders United, whilst they are also in the last eight of the Champions League.

I know it's possibly his best season at Liverpool in terms of the league position and still in the CL, I can't help feeling someone else could do better though. I'd love Mourhino to take over but doesn't look like that will happen.

Can't fault Benitez's European record but a club like Liverpool need to be winning the league. Bad enough Manure may match their league winners record this season. 19 years for them is siomply far to long!

They can't be that bad a bet for the CL again this year Craig. Certainly wouldn't bet against it after 2 great results against arguably 2 of the best teams in the world in the space of a week.

Their downfall has been against the weaker teams in terms of the EPL which simply cant be accepted.

They are a decent bet for the CL, but certainly no better a bet than Man U, Barca or Chelsea. They NEEDED the win on Saturday whilst Man U didnt. Not saying Man U didnt try but I suspect we would see a different result in the CL.

I am not convinced I would say Real are one of the best teams in the world (depends on how far you go). Wouldnt take anything away from them though, they blew Real out the water.

But the only realistic chance they have of silverware is the CL, and they face some very stern competition for that.

Agree with that Craig but they do have the experience in that competition.

Chelsea seem a different team under Hiddink. Manu can never be counted out as is the same with Barca, I honestly believe though that it will be another all English final.

Liverpool blew the league this year in their best chance in the last 19 years by dropping so many stupid points. I blame Benitez as much as the players, but then I don't rate Benitez so am probably biased.

Agree with that Craig but they do have the experience in that competition.

Chelsea seem a different team under Hiddink. Manu can never be counted out as is the same with Barca, I honestly believe though that it will be another all English final.

Liverpool blew the league this year in their best chance in the last 19 years by dropping so many stupid points. I blame Benitez as much as the players, but then I don't rate Benitez so am probably biased.

Yes but Man U, Chelsea and Barca also have experience in that competition. In fact, it can easily be argued that Man U and Chelsea have better experience because they contested last years final with pretty much the same team as they have this year.

I think it will be an English final too - I just think Barca will come up against an English team who are hard to break down and they will lose a goal themselves. Skybet are offering 7/4 for an English winner. Sorely tempted.

Yeah, saw your other post on that bet. Would need to put a sizable amount to get a decent return though.

For what it's worth, I dont think Barca will win it. No offence but the best chance they have of progressing is getting Arsenal. I think the other teams are better equipped to avoid defeat. (Is Arshavin cup tied? he is a gem for Arsenal)

Depends on the draw I guess but I think it will be anyone from Chelsea, Liverpool or Manu who will prevail.

And by the way...... that Liverpool performance against Real was the best performance I have seen from any team this season (didnt see the Pool/Man U game so cant compare).

Performance against Real was better IMO. They played great against Manu but against Real they were phenomanal (sp)

Will say Liverpool out fought Manu and were by far the better team. NOt many teams will come away from Old Trafford saying that.

Yeah, saw your other post on that bet. Would need to put a sizable amount to get a decent return though.

For what it's worth, I dont think Barca will win it. No offence but the best chance they have of progressing is getting Arsenal. I think the other teams are better equipped to avoid defeat. (Is Arshavin cup tied? he is a gem for Arsenal)

Depends on the draw I guess but I think it will be anyone from Chelsea, Liverpool or Manu who will prevail.

100 quid nets you 175 profit. Not too shabby.

Barca would also comfortably take care of Villareal and Porto IMO. Arshavin is cup tied. To be honest I paid close attention to him at the Burnley game and he looked very unimpressive to me. No pace, not really interested in getting into the game, his touches werent great. Hopefully he is just trying to find his feet in the English game. At Zenit I thought he was an incredible player.

I can't see past Man U even given the result last weekend. That said, Bayern have to be a dark horse, a 12-1 aggregate win at this stage of the competition is VERY impressive, regardless of the opposition.