Rangers left with injury crisis in defence

Mar 21 2009 By Hugh Keevins

RANGERS face an injury crisis as Walter Smith's personnel problems mount.

Madjid Bougherra is definitely out of the crucial clash with Hearts at Ibrox today.

Kirk Broadfoot is highly unlikely to play against the Edinburgh side and Smith is not confident the defender will be fit to face Holland in Amsterdam next weekend.

That leaves Scotland boss George Burley with a major problem as Spurs' Allan Hutton fights to be fit for the vital World Cup qualifier.

Smith is running out of players and will have to field Lee McCulloch and Christian Dailly as his central-defensive partnership against Hearts. Davie Weir is suspended after his red card against Inverness while Bougherra has failed to respond to treatment on his calf injury.

And Rangers' forgotten man Andy Webster won't be facing his former club as his chronic injury problems go on.

Losing a second league game in arow at Ibrox simply isn't an option for Rangers or Smith. The fans will demand victory today in the wake of the Co-operative Insurance Cup defeat by Celtic last weekend.

But Smith last night defended his team against claims of a lack of character in the match with their oldest rivals at Hampden.

He said: "If you win these games you're great. If you lose them then you're the worst team in the world.

The whole team gets torn apart in the post-match analysis.

"I have to tread the middle line and keep the players focused.

"We have shown lots of character this season. But Hearts will be tough to break down.

"Csaba Laszlo has assessed what he's got and shown no fear while making Hearts steadier."

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/2009/03/21/rangers-left-with-injury-crisis-in-defence-86908-21215492/

Hopefully Boughy's just out for today. To lose him for the run-in is unthinkable. With Weir suspended as well I look forward to seeing what Water goes with in the backline.

You're right Pete - yet again our luck with injuries is atrocious. I'd love to see how the scum would cope without their best player for 7 months (McDonald/Brown?). The pessimist in me saw the title slip from our grasp when Thomson lay prostrate on the Rugby Park turf.