Rangers V Hiberian Match Report & Player Ratings

In the continued absence or 'Faither Frankie', I thought that I'd grasp the mantle and post a match report and players ratings..... :)

Rangers rolled into Easter Road on the back of three consecutive SPL wins and the confidence that this feat would have undoubtedly given the players was evident as we raced into an early lead thanks to a wonderful strike from Whittiker. The former Hibee defender controlled a loose ball, steadied himself and fired a swerving and dipping volley into the net via the cross-bar. Instead of using this fantastic start as a platform, Rangers reverted to type and allowed the home side to grow in confidence and dictate the game. Neil Alexander ensured that our lead continued to be in tact as he pulled of a couple of saves, but couldn't stop the inevitable equaliser. A simple cross into our box wasn't defended properly and Fletcher lost Weir and planted a header into our net. Hibs tried to crank up the pressure but thankfully Rangers held out without conceding further until half-time.

The weaknesses in our play were evident in the first half again. Failing to use a fantastic start as a springboard, sitting back on a lead and allowing the opposition back into the game. Our midfield was fragmented so our strikers were starved of decent service. The massed Rangers fans, who were once again a credit to their club were demanding an improved 2nd half performance and were hoping for some changes after the break. This looked a distinct possibility as Kenny Miller went through a lengthy warm-up during the break.

The 2nd half started quite evenly with neither Rangers nor host Hiberian creating any notable chances. Rangers regained the lead with another well taken goal. Whittiker found Velicka with a wonderful pass into the channel. The former Hearts striker latched onto this pass and blasted the ball into the net. This happened just as it looked like Velicka was about to be subbed. This goal was well received by the travelling blue and white army, but sickened the Hibees. 2-1 down and goals scored by one of their ex heroes and ex Jambo! Rangers started to control the game at this point and this control was cemented when Kenny Miller replaced Velicka. Miller's pace and directness was what had been missing and he caused the home defence problems. They were happy with the physical battle against Boyd and Velicka, but Miller's pace certainly worried them. This was borne out with the third goal when Miller latched onto a Mendes pass, turned two defenders and drew a great save from the keeper. From the resulting corner, Boggie nodded the ball goal-wards and the ball rebounded back to the defender. Instead of settling for another corner, Boogie hooked the ball back across the six yard line. Miller met the cutback in acrobatic style and his volley was somehow cleared off the line. However, it was met by the lurking Edu who prodded the ball high into the net.

The game should have been over, and we continued to create opportunities. Once again, Miller's pace and directness almost brought a forth goal when he managed to get between two defenders and surprised the keeper with a shot which was smothered round the post. Hibs throw themselves a lifeline when Rankin scored a thundering volley in the closing minutes, but Rangers held out without any problems to secure another vital away win and ensure that the destination of the title is still in out own hands. We should be helped with the news that most of our injured players are on the mend and they could contribute to the title run-in. Miller should today the benefit of having players with pace and directness, especially away from home against immobile defences like Hibs.

Player Ratings

Alexander - two or three notable saves and little chance with either goal - 6/10

SW - once again the best player on the pitch. Scored an early goal and set up the 2nd goal - one of only two players who starts who can beat an opponent with the ball - 8/10

Weir - apart from losing Fletcher at the goal did well - 6/10-

Boogie - like SW, the only one of two players who has the ability to take a player on - 7/10

Papac - struggled badly through-out and finally replaced due to injury - 4/10

Davis - MIA again - 3/10

Edu - growing in stature and still has a lot to learn - HOWEVER, doesn't hide (take note Davis) and tries his hardest - chipped in with a goal - 6/10

Mendes - frustrating again - when he's good, he's very good, when he's bad he is very bad. Flashes of genius aren't good enough - needs a consistent level of performance during a game - 6.5/10

Smith - rightly praised for his performance last week and rightly kept his place. However, like Papac struggled through-out - 5/10

Boyd - starved of service so we know that he'll not flourish in those situations. Change in attitude though as he didn't hide and seemed up for the challenge - still, not his greatest game - 6/10

Velicka - once chance, one glorious goal - 6.10

Miller - did more in his short time on the pitch than either Velicka and Boyd, pace and directness was exactly what we have been missing - 7/10

Dailly - replaced Papac and did well - not shy in getting forward and one brilliant cross that Boyd should have gotten on the end off - 6/10

Novo - not enough time to contribute.

Cammy F

Edited by CammyF

Cracking read Cammy.... but Velicka an "ex-hero" of the Hibs fans ? Not sure I agree with that one :devil:

Think he meant Whittaker :), however it was Weir that won the header from the corner,then Bougherra sent it back in for Edu's goal :)...........great read Cammy :cheers:

Can't disagree with too many of those ratings Cammy.

Agree whole-heartedly with your ratings of Keeper and defence (and just how sad is it that you are right when you saw Whittaker and Bougherra are the only two players we have capable of beating a man with the ball.....).

At one point in the first half when Whittaker whipped in a cracking cross I thought "Who is Alan Hutton ??" - I know that is high praise but, at times, Whittaker's play is as effective going forward as Hutton's is - only real difference being Hutton's pace. Whittaker needs to gain consistency to maintain the comparisons though.

As for the midfield I wouldn't give Davis as low as a 3 - I would say he played as poorly as Smith and would have given him a "5". That said, Mendes also would have only got a "5" for me too as he was no better than the other two. As I said in another thread, the only midfielder right now worthy of a starting slot is Edu. Not his best game but he got stuck in, didn't hide, got forward in support (should have had TWO goals instead of just the one) and at least TRIED. Sometimes he loses positional sense though.

Boyd and Velicka got no service but I was actually impressed with BOTH of their work-rates. Boyd seemed to do far more than usual - he was harrying and pressuring and dropping back to help out. Velicks did likewise and I was impressed with the way he didnt hide after the treatment he was getting (just how did Rob Jones last as long as he did without a yellow card ?).

Miller definitely gave us something different when he came on and looked far more confident than he did pre-injury. The two chances he had he hit the target and, but for some very decent keeping, would have had a brace.

Think he meant Whittaker :), however it was Weir that won the header from the corner,then Bougherra sent it back in for Edu's goal :)...........great read Cammy :cheers:

Ahhhhh, got ya Ian. Sorry Cammy..... too early in the morning !

At one point in the first half when Whittaker whipped in a cracking cross I thought "Who is Alan Hutton ??" - I know that is high praise but, at times, Whittaker's play is as effective going forward as Hutton's is - only real difference being Hutton's pace. Whittaker needs to gain consistency to maintain the comparisons though.

Agree with that but would add that Hutton reads the game far better defensively. He knows the right back role well and is always looking for him or a team mate to cover any overlapping runners down the wing. Usually it's his teammates that let him down and sometimes make him look bad - like in the recent Scotland game.

Whittaker was oblivious to the overlapping left back but luckily he wasn't punished for it.

Agree with that but would add that Hutton reads the game far better defensively. He knows the right back role well and is always looking for him or a team mate to cover any overlapping runners down the wing. Usually it's his teammates that let him down and sometimes make him look bad - like in the recent Scotland game.

Whittaker was oblivious to the overlapping left back but luckily he wasn't punished for it.

Which is why I said "as effective going forward" ;)

Defensively I have ALWAYS said that Whittaker loses positional sense far too easily - first time I saw him was when I went to a Hibs season opener against Aberdeen - he played RB and going forward looked good, but defensively was very poor.

At least you got the MOTM spot on this time Cammy :rfc:

Spot on as well with most of the ratings IMO. It seems we are in the minority when it comes to Davis though.

Perhaps a wee bit generous to Miller who despite running directly at them, missed his two chances, especially the first one that he should have scored. I wouldn't have given him 7 for a 20 appearance, but then I struggled to give him 7 last time at Easter Road!!

While Miller often somehow makes a masterclass of missing, I think he also seems to lack a bit of luck, with three good efforts that were unlucky to put him on the scoresheet. His shot at the third goal for example was extremely well taken and a much better touch than the one that brought the goal itself, which was just a stab with the top of the foot.