Roy Keane revealed his aim to take Ipswich back into the Barclays Premier League in one season as he declared: "It's good to be back."

The former Manchester United captain, who has been out of work since leaving Sunderland in December, was confirmed as the new manager of the Tractor Boys after signing a two-year deal.

Ipswich were last in the top flight in 2002 and previous manager Jim Magilton paid the price for not reaching the Coca-Cola Championship play-offs when he was sacked on Wednesday.

Keane, who revealed he had received other offers, said: "It's a massive challenge trying to get the club back in the Premier League.

"I'm excited and looking forward to it. I've had a good break. It's good to be back.

"Three or four weeks ago I thought, if the opportunity came up, I was ready for it. I've signed a two-year contract but I'd like to try and do it (get promotion) in one year.

"If I wasn't up for challenges I'd be out walking my dogs today. I think my dogs need a break."

Keane insisted he would need time to take stock before beginning the process of shaping the team.

"Nothing will be happening over the next week or two, we've got to take stock and take it from there," he said.

He hinted at the possibility of major changes by adding: "There are a lot of players on long-term injuries and players whose contracts are up, so that might suit me.

"But it would be unfair to say to players whose contracts are up 'You've got two games to prove yourself'."

Keane was asked how his first meeting with the players at training had gone, and was his usual no-nonsense self in his response.

"I had a chat with the players, I put demands on the players and they look up for it," he said.

"All I've asked of any player as a manager is that they turn up for training on time and give 100%, and that's all I'm asking of the Ipswich players. If they're okay with that they will enjoy working with me, if not it will be a very brief relationship."

Keane admitted the two-year contract could increase the pressure to turn things around quickly at Portman Road but added: "I'm very comfortable with the two years, if that means I'm putting myself under pressure - so what?

"It's all about the challenge, when I took over at Sunderland I knew that was a big club and I could turn it around and it's the same here."

Keane hopes some of the qualities he galvanised in his players while at Sunderland will again be in evidence at Portman Road.

"We had a very good spirit and never-say-die attitude," he said of his time at the Stadium of Light.

"We scored a lot of late goals and had great desire.

"I always felt we would go to the end and I want that from Ipswich players. That's up to me to get into the players.

"I'm convinced the players will enjoy working with me."

He added the vision for the future laid out by the Ipswich board had played a major part in his decision to join the club.

He said: "I enjoy working with ambitious people. There's enough people out there with no ambitions who are happy to go through the motions in life.

"It's going to be very difficult, looking at the teams that will come down [from the Premier League].

"It's a massive challenge, but hopefully we will be in the mix. At the moment we are 26 points behind Wolves, so that's a big, big gap to make up."

Asked why he had decided to take the job, Keane added: "My gut feeling, the ambition of the club, the history of the club.

"It's a proper football club. I think I've been very lucky with the clubs I've been involved with and I'm very lucky to get this job."

Chief executive Simon Clegg, who himself was only appointed this week, is confident Town have the right man to achieve their ambitions.

He said: "It's an exciting and dynamic new era. It further demonstrates the aspirations and ambitions of this club and its owner, Marcus Evans.

"I'm convinced, with Roy Keane as manager, we can build on the club's rich heritage and he will lead us back to Premier League football."

Roy Keane Factfile

1971: Born Cork, August 10.

1987: Joins semi-professional League of Ireland club Cobh Ramblers after building reputation with Cork junior club Rockmount.

1990: Signed by Brian Clough for Nottingham Forest for �£10,000.

1991: Makes Republic of Ireland debut in 1-1 draw with Chile in Dublin.

1992: Arrested after rowdy scenes outside a Nottingham nightclub, but released without charge.

1993: January - Thrown out of another nightclub after being caught up in a brawl.

July - Joins Manchester United for then British transfer record �£3.75million after 154 matches and 33 goals for Forest.

1994: Marks first season with United by helping club complete their first League and FA Cup double.

1995: Sent off for first time in career for stamping on Crystal Palace's Gareth Southgate during FA Cup semi-final replay. Later fined �£5,000.

Two more red cards follow in first three months of 1995-96 campaign, at Blackburn in August and at home to Middlesbrough in October.

1996: March - Sent off on his 30th appearance for the Republic of Ireland against Russia in Mick McCarthy's first match as manager.

May - Helps United clinch historic second double with 1-0 FA Cup final win over Liverpool. Fails to report for McCarthy's testimonial and Republic training after going on holiday to Italy, is denied Republic captaincy and left out for six matches by the national boss.

1997: April - Misses penalty for Republic against Romania and escapes without punishment after being involved in alleged scuffle.

August - Named United captain following Eric Cantona's departure.

September - Injures his knee trying to foul Leeds' Alf Inge Haaland at Elland Road. Misses rest of the season with cruciate ligament damage.

1999: April - Sent off against Arsenal in FA Cup semi-final replay for two bookable offences. Also booked in Champions League semi-final second leg against Juventus ruling him out of final against Bayern Munich.

November - Scores the goal which earns a 1-0 Toyota Cup victory over Palmeiras of Brazil. United are the first British club to lift the Inter-Continental Cup.

December - Signs a new four-year deal to stay at Old Trafford.

2000: May - Named PFA and Football Writers' Association player of the year before lifting another Premier League title.

August - Sent off in Charity Shield at Wembley for two bookings, the second for a cynical challenge from behind on Chelsea's Gustavo Poyet.

November - Criticises lack of atmosphere at Old Trafford accusing corporate spectators of being unable "to spell football never mind understand it" and only being interested in prawn sandwiches.

2001: April - Criticises United team-mates suggesting it may be time to break up the squad following their Champions League quarter-final defeat by Bayern Munich.

Sent off after pre-meditated lunge at Haaland in United's derby encounter with Manchester City.

September - Sent off for the ninth time in his United career after raising his hands at Newcastle's Alan Shearer.

2002: May - Keane is sent home from the World Cup after a row with Republic of Ireland manager Mick McCarthy.

August - Admits in his autobiography that his red-card tackle on Haaland was deliberate.

September - Sent off for elbowing Jason McAteer during Manchester United's 1-1 draw at Sunderland.

October - Banned for five matches and fined �£150,000 over Haaland incident.

2003: February - Despite the efforts of new Ireland manager Brian Kerr to tempt him back into the Republic's set-up, Keane announces his intention to retire from international football.

2004: February - Sent off as United lose in Porto in a Champions League last-16 clash.

April - Announces he will play for Republic of Ireland.

May - Makes first appearance for Ireland since McCarthy bust-up infriendly with Romania.

2005: February - Involved in tunnel row with Patrick Vieira before United's 4-2 win against Arsenal.

August - Sir Alex Ferguson admits he had a row with Keane at United's pre-season training camp in Portugal in July.

October - Announces his international retirement for a second time.

November - Leaves Manchester United by mutual consent.

December - Signs for Celtic in an 18-month deal.

2006: January - Makes Celtic debut in embarrassing Scottish Cup defeat to First Division Clyde.

May - Finishes the season at Celtic, who win the Bank of Scotland Premier League.

June - Announces his retirement from football.

August - Confirmed as new manager of Sunderland.

2007: April - Earns automatic promotion to the Premier League for Sunderland.

Team clinches Championship title the following week.

2008: May - Sunderland finish three points clear of relegation zone.

September - Says he will not "tolerate people abusing me" after fans react angrily to an unconvincing Carling Cup win over Northampton.

December 4 - Leaves Sunderland after crisis talks on Wearside.

2009: April 23 - Takes over at Championship side Ipswich on two-year contract.