I wouldn't rule out a Barry Ferguson comeback yet

I wouldn't rule out a Barry Ferguson comeback yet, warns Rangers coach Ally McCoist

ALLY McCOIST last night insisted Barry Ferguson can still salvage a future for himself at Rangers.

McCoist spoke out as the deposed Ibrox skipper was coming to terms with the calf injury that has almost certainly brought his own personal rollercoaster of a campaign to an end.

But while it now seems sure that Ferguson will be shipped out of the club in the summer, McCoist insists he EXPECTS to see the 31-year-old back in a blue shirt again.

Walter Smith's right-hand man turned up at Forthbank Stadium in Stirling on Tuesday moments after Ferguson had hobbled off, 60 secondsinto a reserve team clash with Hearts. If, as anticipated, that was his last appearance for Rangers then it will go down as a desperate and sad ending to the player's long-lasting love affair with the club.

But even though Ferguson's relationship with Smith has broken down in the wake of the Boozegate scandal, McCoist remains adamant the midfielder will be back.

He said: "I don't think for a minute that's been his last appearance in a Rangers shirt.

"He has more than a year left on his contract and, that being the case, there is every chance he will play again.

"Absolutely, he can come back next season. All he has is a calf injury. He has everything to get fit for with a year on the contract.

"Unless something else happens, like he wishes to leave or a club comes in for him with an offer, then it is common sense he will be here next season.

"That is the way it looks from where I am sitting. If that is the case then fantastic."

Ferguson, in fact, has not given up hope of returning to action before the end of the season even though medics have said his injury will take six weeks to cure.

McCoist also doubts the player's ability to heal in time and said: "I spoke with him very briefly after the game at Stirling. He has had his scan and there is definitely a tear in it.

"He is thinking three weeks but I am thinking it may be longer than that - and no one had more calf tears than me. I hope that it is only three weeks for Barry."

And McCoist has not ruled out a possible top-team return for Ferguson's Boozegate accomplice, Allan McGregor, in tomorrow's Scottish Cup semi-final clash with St Mirren.

He said: "We have to move on. I wish I had a pound for every word that has been written over the past couple of weeks.

"It is in the past now. Barry made a mistake, Allan made a mistake but let's move on.

"McGregor will be considered and have a shout for selection - Barry would have too. You pick teams to win games."

Apr 24 2009 Keith Jackson

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/rangers/2009/04/24/i-wouldn-t-rule-out-a-barry-ferguson-comeback-yet-warns-rangers-coach-ally-mccoist-86908-21302577/

But even though Ferguson's relationship with Smith has broken down in the wake of the Boozegate scandal, McCoist remains adamant the midfielder will be back.

He said: "I don't think for a minute that's been his last appearance in a Rangers shirt.

Is McCoist going to be manager next year then? :whistle: