Rangers Ordered To Axe Billy Boys

Rangers have been ordered to make a public announcement at all of their home games prohibiting the chanting of the song "Billy Boys".

The instruction comes from Uefa as one of a number of directives aimed at stamping out sectarianism.

Rangers were fined £13,000 for the sectarian behaviour of their fans at a recent Champions League match.

And Rangers chairman David Murray has already met with supporters groups to make sure their fans comply.

The Rangers Assembly, fanzine and website Follow Follow and the Supporters Trust were all represented at the Murray Park meeting on Thursday evening.

Murray said: "These supporters' groups represented should be applauded for coming forward in recognition of the importance of this issue. All parties are united in a bid to silence the minority that continue to tarnish the reputation of Rangers Football Club

Rangers statement

"I am delighted at the progress we made.

"Over the last two years, the club has strove fervently under the banner of 'Pride over Prejudice' working with the authorities to impose indefinite and lifetime bans.

"I look forward in the coming weeks to implementing some of the actions that were discussed.

"It is absolutely clear to all concerned that all supporters need to commit to silencing the minority."

The meeting followed receipt of Uefa's written grounds for fining Rangers following the tie against Villarreal.

Uefa also ordered Rangers to "anounce measurable targets in order to reduce sectarian behaviour amongst its supporters".

And it instructed the Glasgow club to prove the success of its measures through statistics communicated to the public.

Rangers have warned that their fans must comply to "avoid sanctions being imposed or expulsion from European competition altogether".

"A positive debate was held at Murray Park and all parties are united in a bid to silence the minority that continue to tarnish the reputation of Rangers Football Club," it was stated on the club website.

A joint committe has been formed between the club and supporters groups.

And a statement from the fans' bodies read: "The message now could not be clearer that the spotlight is upon the supporters and the club and it is their duty to work together to stamp out the minority who are damaging the reputations of all those connected with Rangers Football Club.

"Not only does this small minority tarnish the reputation of Rangers but of Scottish football and our society in general and hopefully anyone who is interested in Scottish football will work with us in assisting to eradicate this behaviour."

--------------------------------------------------

There you have it folks, backed by TBO, RST, Follow Follow, RSA - Murray is going to act on fans who continue to sing The Billy Boys.

Also, what else can't be clearer is if we continue to sing The Billy Boys UEFA will act and we will be BANNED from European touriments.

Cammy F

Rangers have been ordered to make a public announcement at all of their home games prohibiting the chanting of the song "Billy Boys".

The instruction comes from Uefa as one of a number of directives aimed at stamping out sectarianism.

Rangers were fined �£13,000 for the sectarian behaviour of their fans at a recent Champions League match.

And Rangers chairman David Murray has already met with supporters groups to make sure their fans comply.

The Rangers Assembly, fanzine and website Follow Follow and the Supporters Trust were all represented at the Murray Park meeting on Thursday evening.

Murray said: "These supporters' groups represented should be applauded for coming forward in recognition of the importance of this issue. All parties are united in a bid to silence the minority that continue to tarnish the reputation of Rangers Football Club

Rangers statement

"I am delighted at the progress we made.

"Over the last two years, the club has strove fervently under the banner of 'Pride over Prejudice' working with the authorities to impose indefinite and lifetime bans.

"I look forward in the coming weeks to implementing some of the actions that were discussed.

"It is absolutely clear to all concerned that all supporters need to commit to silencing the minority."

The meeting followed receipt of Uefa's written grounds for fining Rangers following the tie against Villarreal.

Uefa also ordered Rangers to "anounce measurable targets in order to reduce sectarian behaviour amongst its supporters".

And it instructed the Glasgow club to prove the success of its measures through statistics communicated to the public.

Rangers have warned that their fans must comply to "avoid sanctions being imposed or expulsion from European competition altogether".

"A positive debate was held at Murray Park and all parties are united in a bid to silence the minority that continue to tarnish the reputation of Rangers Football Club," it was stated on the club website.

A joint committe has been formed between the club and supporters groups.

And a statement from the fans' bodies read: "The message now could not be clearer that the spotlight is upon the supporters and the club and it is their duty to work together to stamp out the minority who are damaging the reputations of all those connected with Rangers Football Club.

"Not only does this small minority tarnish the reputation of Rangers but of Scottish football and our society in general and hopefully anyone who is interested in Scottish football will work with us in assisting to eradicate this behaviour."

--------------------------------------------------

There you have it folks, backed by TBO, RST, Follow Follow, RSA - Murray is going to act on fans who continue to sing The Billy Boys.

Also, what else can't be clearer is if we continue to sing The Billy Boys UEFA will act and we will be BANNED from European touriments.

Cammy F

Lets hope the minority now see they will be hurting the club by singing it, and now put it to rest. It has no place at Ibrox.

It still annoys me that we seem to be the only bad apple in the whole of Europe It always seems to be Rangers that examples have to be set.

I won't hold my breath waiting for another team to be repremanded.

I just hope every other team in Europe gets treated the same way as us. What about Liverpool - Munich disaster etc? UEFA have opened up a can of worms with this one. Every time Hearts and Celtic sing something that is offensive to us in the Champions League(if Hearts get there), of which there will be plenty from the green half at least, they better be prepared for numerous complaints. UEFA are going to create a world where there will be absolutely no singing at games whatsoever and we won't be able to shout, sing or show our support. imo it is a world gone mad:mad:

I just hope every other team in Europe gets treated the same way as us. What about Liverpool - Munich disaster etc? UEFA have opened up a can of worms with this one. Every time Hearts and Celtic sing something that is offensive to us in the Champions League(if Hearts get there), of which there will be plenty from the green half at least, they better be prepared for numerous complaints. UEFA are going to create a world where there will be absolutely no singing at games whatsoever and we won't be able to shout, sing or show our support. imo it is a world gone mad:mad:

Agreed! Every time that FC Twente play a big team they start making Firework noises in relation to the Firework disaster in Enschede. Against Louis van Gaal they sing your wife has died of cancer. I find these soort of things far worse than us singing the billy boys.

I appreciate that Rangers fans will be unhappy with what's happened; especially when one considers who made the UEFA complaints. It's pretty hard to be unfairly singled out. But there's no defence. None.

But, no matter. The line has been drawn. We have to abide by that line or face further punishment that could kill our club. We have to self-police and we have to educate the fans among us who don't realise the problems they are causing.

However, every other Scottish football fan and these so-called objective pundits and journalists should stand with us to help us rid Scottish football of the sectarian and other disgusting chants.

We might be the first team to be punished but if others don't send out the same message Rangers and our fans have done today, then we won't be the last. The people who reported Rangers to UEFA were warned they were opening a can of worms. The can is now opened. Just what else will we find in there? How far is this ruling to go? We've already seen debates and arguments on here about certain words.

The debate has now just started.

i just hope that the same baldy wee bassa who reported us is in the septic stands when they play their champions league games next season to see what vile pish spouts out from their mouths compared to our trivial wee song:mad:

A Joke!

Hullo Hullo is one of our trademark and makes people know who we are (im looking for a word here which has blanked me)

HULLO HULLO WE ARE THE BILLY BOYS....................

Over on FF they are imploding!! most of them are in so much despair they have got the club ''dying ''. The way some of them are talking you would think they are ready to commit suicide. I am glad this is coming to an end and we can start to sing Rangers songs