Rangers Ordered To Axe Billy Boys

I think Cammy is right,if we persist with the tune some of the nobrainers will insert the banned words. Although I would hate to see the tune go (without the banned words)altogether.

I agree with you Davy. The bigots have killed off the song. We've been arguing for years about changing the lyrics but the idiots have ignored us and now we're too late.

People are blaming UEFA but it's the stupidity and maliciousness of our fans that are to blame.

People are blaming UEFA but it's the stupidity and maliciousness of our fans that are to blame.

Thats very harsh, You're acting like the warning signs were there and this was to be seen coming. Thats certainly not the case. Officially this is the only time this song has come into question. Sure theres been debate and the media are always on about it, but we as fans, have always fought our own corner, through our fanzines and websites.

With UEFA we couldnt do that ourselves and surprise, surprise, the club did fuck all.

This issue has certainly split our fanbase, you seem to be very bitter and angry towards other Rangers fans, calscot. Thats your perogative I guess, but Im sure you'd agree its a shame to want to attack a fellow Rangers fan, no matter who he is. It shows we need proper leadership to guide us on these issues and formulate a plan to remove the FTPing, whilst maintianing our identity.

I'm never going to like or tolerate a bigot just because he supports the same team as me.

The point is we're as guilty as hell, people dress up the excuses as much as they like but the fact is, if the gers fans weren't going out of their way to deliberately be offensive, there wouldn't be these songs, as there wouldn't be the motivation.

These Rangers fans actually ENJOY the bigotry and they are just crying foul as their being told not to play their favourite game.

Do you really think anyone gives a toss about a sash some guy's father wore?

I'd like to see how many Rangers fans on seeing a sash, exclaim, "Oh it's so beautiful!"

I'm not saying the song is bigotted, but the motivation to sing it is.

I'm never going to like or tolerate a bigot just because he supports the same team as me.

The point is we're as guilty as hell, people dress up the excuses as much as they like but the fact is, if the gers fans weren't going out of their way to deliberately be offensive, there wouldn't be these songs, as there wouldn't be the motivation.

These Rangers fans actually ENJOY the bigotry and they are just crying foul as their being told not to play their favourite game.

Do you really think anyone gives a toss about a sash some guy's father wore?

I'd like to see how many Rangers fans on seeing a sash, exclaim, "Oh it's so beautiful!"

I'm not saying the song is bigotted, but the motivation to sing it is.

Well, If I may say so, your attitude is shocking.

You seem like an educated person, and your posts reflect this. Please do not forget that not all our supporters are, most are from working class backgrounds and have not enjoyed the level of education of others. Some fans simply do not grasp that these songs are offensive, and will sing them to generate a good atmosphere without realising that they may be offending others.

I also think its inherently wrong to attack the beliefs and background of the other fans around you. To some, the Orange Order and the songs that surround are extremly important and have deep personal meaning. As Cammy says this has long been associated with our club, if you do not partake in this you must not chastize those tho chose to. It is not your place.

As I said, the fans groups must take a lead on this and maintain a balance of Rangers songs and our history.

Thats very harsh, You're acting like the warning signs were there and this was to be seen coming. Thats certainly not the case. Officially this is the only time this song has come into question. Sure theres been debate and the media are always on about it, but we as fans, have always fought our own corner, through our fanzines and websites.

With UEFA we couldnt do that ourselves and surprise, surprise, the club did fuck all.

This issue has certainly split our fanbase, you seem to be very bitter and angry towards other Rangers fans, calscot. Thats your perogative I guess, but Im sure you'd agree its a shame to want to attack a fellow Rangers fan, no matter who he is. It shows we need proper leadership to guide us on these issues and formulate a plan to remove the FTPing, whilst maintianing our identity.

But the warning signs should have been there for years, to anyone with half a brain-cell surely? Its not like we've all suddenly woken up one morning and realised that the songs were considered sectarian/bigoted/offensive just because UEFA told us. We've all known it, the club's known it and the media/general public have known it, as well as taken great delight in pointing it out to us. So of course the warning signs have been there.

Some fan sites on the web have openly talked about the need to change, some have been totally in opposition to it. But ultimately its because the club hasn't taken a strong enough line with this, that UEFA are now stepping in. And yes its a "fashionable" crusade for UEFA in these days of political correctness gone mad, but so what, it was bound to happen at some point. Maybe DM was waiting for this to happen so he wouldn't be seen to be the one who had to tell us to change our ways. That way he's not seen to be the bad guy in all of this.

But the warning signs should have been there for years, to anyone with half a brain-cell surely? Its not like we've all suddenly woken up one morning and realised that the songs were considered sectarian/bigoted/offensive just because UEFA told us. We've all known it, the club's known it and the media/general public have known it, as well as taken great delight in pointing it out to us. So of course the warning signs have been there.

Our songs were/are no worse than Celtics, nor are they worse than any songs about Munich, Hillsborough, Ibrox or Matthew Harding. Yet none of the clubs that indulge in these have been moved to change, so why should we have. UEFA arent going near these songs because they'll get a fight. DM has rolled over and allowed his tummy to be tickeled and shown he's a spineless twat who doesnt give a damn about us.

Some fan sites on the web have openly talked about the need to change, some have been totally in opposition to it. But ultimately its because the club hasn't taken a strong enough line with this, that UEFA are now stepping in. And yes its a "fashionable" crusade for UEFA in these days of political correctness gone mad, but so what, it was bound to happen at some point. Maybe DM was waiting for this to happen so he wouldn't be seen to be the one who had to tell us to change our ways. That way he's not seen to be the bad guy in all of this.

DM hasnt given two fucks about the situation. He put up no appeal and has doen nothing to stop the press writing whatever they want.Like I say there are other examples of offensive song sung by other fans, what DM could have said was "aye OK, but you have to take other clubs to task" we shouldnt have faced UEFA on our own.

Spik3d - I think we need to be careful here tho. Although the Orange Order has been linked with Rangers, the OO AREN'T bigoted and their pledge dictates that we should be tolerant of other religions and cultures. Singing FUCK THE POPE and Fenian Blood is being tolerant of other religions and cultures no matter what we think of them.

Our heritage has always been pro-Rangers, pro-Church Of Scotland (and pro-OO at a puch) and pro-Union. It has never been anti-anything. This is where we have to change. For some reason, our pro-stances have become anti-stances and we need to revert back to being pro-Rangers especially.

The world of football has moved on, it isn't the working mans game now - it is a global market in a very PC world and we need to adapt or face having no club to support.

Lets get back to supporting the team then maybe we can introduce pro-Unionist songs etc.

Cammy F

Our songs were/are no worse than Celtics, nor are they worse than any songs about Munich, Hillsborough, Ibrox or Matthew Harding. Yet none of the clubs that indulge in these have been moved to change, so why should we have. UEFA arent going near these songs because they'll get a fight. DM has rolled over and allowed his tummy to be tickeled and shown he's a spineless twat who doesnt give a damn about us.

DM hasnt given two fucks about the situation. He put up no appeal and has doen nothing to stop the press writing whatever they want.Like I say there are other examples of offensive song sung by other fans, what DM could have said was "aye OK, but you have to take other clubs to task" we shouldnt have faced UEFA on our own.

Yeah, but just because other songs are as bad/no worse, doesn't make it OK for us to continue. I don't think UEFA are avoiding tackling other clubs about songs and I don't think we've been targeted because of DM. I don't think this issue will go away, UEFA have opened a can of worms and you'll probably see this season that other clubs will be hit. Part of the problem they has is defining exactly what is offensive and I know we've gone through this ourselves before. I still don't think we've helped ourselves though and complaining that we've been stitched up or singled out doesn't excuse the fact that in this day and age we're singing songs which we really shouldn't be.

As for DM, like I said earlier, he's been put in a very difficult situation, where he'd have to bite the hand that feeds. Now UEFA are laying down the law, he doesn't have to, so he's probably got what he wanted.

Guest grovecot

Well I think you have to consider the other side of this.

Sure, some fans are pissed off at the loss of this song. Others, however, are mightily relieved.

There is a large number of potential Rangers fans who'd be keener supporters if the sectarianism was curbed.

There are also others who actively discourage their kids from supporting us because of our sectarian reputation.

Personally I'd like my kids to follow Rangers but no longer give a toss about Fenians or the Pope so FTP and 'Fenian blood' et al is anachronistic and demeaning.

For me it's definitely a move in the right direction and one which increases our potential support.