Rangers smiling while Celtic stew

It was a case of striking contrasts for the Old Firm yesterday. Rangers finally concluded the �£1.8 million signing of the Slovakian forward Filip Sebo from Austria Vienna, whereas Celtic could be without Scotland forwards Shaun Maloney and Kenny Miller for the foreseeable future.

Sebo, 22, arrives in Glasgow with the ambition of becoming the first player since Alexei Mikhailichenko to use the Scottish Premier League as the final part of a hat-trick of titles in different countries.

The striker finished in pole position with Artmedia Bratislava two seasons ago and won the Austrian championship last season. Mikhailichenko was successful with Dynamo Kiev (1990), Sampdoria (1991) and Rangers (1992).

Rangers supporters may be able to assess Sebo tomorrow if manager Paul Le Guen elects to include the player, who has signed a four-year contract, in the squad for the home match against Dundee United.

"I am fit and ready to play," Sebo said. "It would be fantastic to be involved in this game but I will wait to see what Mr Le Guen thinks. I am very happy. This move has been in my head for a very long time, and now I am a Rangers player I hope to be successful. I came here to score the goals."

Celtic have less to look forward to at the moment. Their 3-0 defeat by Yokohama Marinos yesterday was another setback.

Maloney, who did not travel to Japan, will be out for up to six weeks, courtesy of a double hernia, while Miller, who did travel, pulled a hamstring in training on Wednesday and did not play.

Miller is already doubtful for Sunday's match against Hearts at Tynecastle and could be out for longer. Manager Gordon Strachan was unhappy with that, but more concerned with the performance of his under-strength team.

"We now know we have a cast of 14 to 16 players that we can rely on," he said. "I'm afraid that's not enough for a club like Celtic."

The challenge match, which is unlikely to have done much to promote the Celtic brand, arose because of the presence in the Celtic side of Shunsuke Nakamura, the national team's playmaker.

He, too, was less than impressed by the club's performance in his home town. "I am ashamed with this result," he said. "But for my team-mates I felt rather sorry for them because they had to travel a long way, then play in the heat."

Absolutely loving it :D

Weel, it was a mostly fringe squad that played, but Strachan was fizzing tat how bad they were. Apparently the back four of Virgo, Varga, Camara and Lawson are all on their way out as he has had enough of them. Once they get injuries and suspensions, that's when it'll start to look good for us!