Walters 'safety first' approach came back to bite his back side last night in a huge way. In a match that was an obvious must win he decided to go with a forward pairing who arent the most mobile to bother defenders plus a more solid looking flat midfield with no width.

Whilst the players do have to take a share of the blame for a poor 1st half showing, WS must take blame for the selection.

However WS was quick enough to realise this as soon as the half time whistle went he was the first up the tunnel - its just a shame it took a Hibs goal to wake him up.

I dont want to be over critical as we are still on our best run of form this season and are still in with an almost 50/50 shout of the title.

But this weekend there can be nothing else on the agenda apart from a convincing win at Ibrox.

So that means WS has to make huge selection decisions. He will have a dilemma of who to play on the left and who to play upfront along with the decision of what formation to go with.

I'll leave the team selections to the match preview thread.

WS must go with a gung-ho line-up and tactical setup against Aberdeen on Saturday. We need to score at least 4 goals. IMO, Novo and Lafferty need to start. I'd drop Velicka play Lafferty up top with Boyd and stick Novo on a wing, probably the left.

As i have said elsewhere Gribz, i remember the same situation last season when Rangers needed to improve their goal difference and Walter Smith said ' you cannot set out to beat a team by a set number of goals, it is disrespectful and naive. You have to set the side up to win the points first and then see after that.'

Now, maybe he has learned from last season AND from last nights debacle. I hope so, because a 4 3 3 formation is the only thing that is going to win us the league.

The way i see it, if at worst Celtic beat the HIVs 3-0, that puts them 5 ahead in goal difference PLUS they have the advantage of having scored more.

So, i would plan for that on saturday and go for 6. It does sound a bit ludicrous to plan to beat the sheep by 6. But going by the way we can play attacking if we want(when we know we need to)(i.e last 15 mins of last night) then we should set our stall out the way we did for that 15 mins. We will probably lose a couple at worst, but AT LEAST it would be seen as trying to do the right thing to win this league title.

So, if we can get an early goal, Aberdeen will be thinking their in for a pounding and their legs might go, and we might just get the 6 we need.

Edited by John Barr

ws must go with a gung-ho line-up and tactical setup against aberdeen on saturday. We need to score at least 4 goals. Imo, novo and lafferty need to start. I'd drop velicka play lafferty up top with boyd and stick novo on a wing, probably the left.

4-4-2?

4-3-3?

3-5-2?

3-3-4?

3-4-3?

4-2-4?

So, i would plan for that on saturday and go for 6. It does sound a bit ludicrous to plan to beat the sheep by 6. But going by the way we can play attacking if we want(when we know we need to)(i.e last 15 mins of last night) then we should set our stall out the way we did for that 15 mins. We will probably lose a couple at worst, but AT LEAST it would be seen as trying to do the right thing to win this league title.

So, if we can get an early goal, Aberdeen will be thinking their in for a pounding and their legs might go, and we might just get the 6 we need.

Id plan on going for 6 aswell John. Ok its tricky to score 6 but the aim should be to get as much as possible. If we win by 4 then we'd take that.

Its all about how we set up from the start.

I wouldnt go with Gav's 4-4-2, I think we need at least 3 upfront. Id even be tempted with a 4-2-4. Edu and Davis just sit then allow Lafferty, Novo, Miller and Boyd / Velicka to run at them.

Id plan on going for 6 aswell John. Ok its tricky to score 6 but the aim should be to get as much as possible. If we win by 4 then we'd take that.

Its all about how we set up from the start.

I wouldnt go with Gav's 4-4-2, I think we need at least 3 upfront. Id even be tempted with a 4-2-4. Edu and Davis just sit then allow Lafferty, Novo, Miller and Boyd / Velicka to run at them.

Yes, i see that working.

I think i'd go 4 3 3.

But with Weir and Bougherra sitting deep to cover for the others pushing away forward.

Whittaker and whoevers at left back pushing right up swinging crosses in.

3 in midfield Mendes, Edu and Davis but with a diamond in Midfield, Edu and Mendes behind Davis, who pushes right up and forces the Aberdeen defence back to the Penalty box. But with Mendes and Edu getting forward to pick up loose balls, to have shots from distance and forward for every set piece.

3 up front in Miller, Boyd and Lafferty, who should not leave the Aberdeen penalty box the whole game.

Novo and Fleck to come on wide if it's not working!

According to Walter last night "we just need to make sure we win our two games":sigh:

Dear Santa,

Please can I have a new manager for my football club...

Exactly the same comment he made at this stage last year Norris.:confused:

According to Walter last night "we just need to make sure we win our two games":sigh:

Dear Santa,

Please can I have a new manager for my football club...

Yes Son come sit on Santa's lap tell me all about it ;) lol