Whilst every man and his dog is turning down the Celtic job, and bearing in mind that none of these names are even A-List are we still to believe that Celtic are some mythical, magical club, held in high esteem the world over? Martinez, Moyes, Coyle. None of these names seem enamoured with the prospect of the vacant hot-seat.

Their current predicament got me to thinking; we often have the draw of their club over-hyped and the pull of the Rangers undersold. However, what does reality tell us?

In the past decade or so, at management level we have attracted Dick Advocaat to Ibrox. He was assistant manager of Holland before succeeding Rinus Michels as manager, leading them to the quarter-finals of the World Cup. He also guided PSV to a domestic cup triumph and a league title prior to becoming manager at Rangers in 1998. A big name in football, out with the parochial Scottish game that struggles to look anywhere but within as the European game flourishes and continues without us.

The manager who preceded the current incumbent, whilst not the roaring success that was hoped and expected was never the less, at the time, an extraordinary coup. Many of our ever impartial press laughed off suggestions of luring the precocious talent of Paul Le Guen to Govan. A man who had won 3 Ligue 1 titles on the bounce would be headed off to the likes of Real Madrid and was pie in the sky for Rangers fans. And yet, at the beginning of the 2006-07 season PLG was over-seeing the beginning of his Rangers tenure.

Such is the extraordinary success throughout Rangers history, built upon managerial stability, that there have only been two other managers in our recent history. Alex McLeish and Walter Smith. Two successful Scottish managers. Smith is a big name in football, but as a Rangers man at heart, as with McLeish (who at the time had only the Hibs and Motherwell jobs to bolster his c.v.) it would be churlish to describe attracting either as a testament to our global pulling power for the biggest names in the game. A man who already has Rangers in his heart takes little persuasion.

Moving on to the playing staff. Walter Smith brought the delights of Brian Laudrup and Paul Gascoigne to Ibrox. Laudrup was a member of Denmark's European Championship winning team. He played for some of Europe's greatest club's; Bayern Munich, AC Milan, Fiorentina and then Rangers. He is a great player in every sense of the word. The greatest foreign player to ply his trade in the Scottish game.

Paul Gascoigne was a prodigious talent. The most naturally gifted British player of his generation? His exceptional skill and exciting ability to leave defenders in his trail, showcased for Newcastle, Spurs, Lazio helped build his profile. It was, however, his tears at a booking received in the World Cup Semi Final at Italia 90, an iconic football image, that the game's fans will remember him for. An undoubted star player of his generation.

The impressive list goes on and on. Andrei Kanchelskis. A Russian international who won the double at Manchester United.

Arthur Numan starred for a successful PSV side winning domestic honours and representing the Dutch in an impressive showing at France 98 (Numan started every group game), before losing to eventual finalists Brazil. One of the games top left backs at the time he came to Rangers.

Stefan Klos was a two team player. With his first club, Borussia Dortmund, he won league titles and the Champions League before continuing his success with Rangers. The fact he was never capped is down to the legendary Oliver Khan and yet is still one of the most perplexing statistics of the last couple of decades.

Ronald De Boer, a legend of Dutch football, who starred most notably for two of European football's great sides in Ajax and Barcelona, made it 3 when he became a Rangers player. He was subsequently followed to the South side of Glasgow by his twin brother Frank during Alex McLeish's reign.

The quality of cult hero Dado Prso was late to be recognised, until the Croatian was plucked from obscurity to star for French club AS Monaco. Prso has the distinction of being one of only 4 players to score 4 goals in a single Champions League game along with the likes of Dutch legend Marco Van Basten.

Even the current team, built more on defensive solidity and a good team ethic rather than multi-million pound signings and individual brilliance, can boast former Premiership stars in Steve Davis and another Champions League winner in Pedro Mendes (His Porto side defeated Prso's Monaco in the final).

The above examples show what an enormous draw Rangers have for the game's elite. From the passion of the fans, the history of the club to the majesty of the Archibald Leitch designed Main stand. Advocaat's legacy of ensuring the completion of the multi-million pound training facility at Auchenowie only serves to enhance this reputation and sell a wonderful club to potential employees. And I haven't even spoken of the heyday of English football in the 80's when Graeme Souness brought their brightest talents, such as England captain Terry Butcher, over the border.

Now cast an eye across the city to the poorer relation. The "new" stadium. Made of mechano and falls apart under a light breeze. The budget built version of our impressive Murray Park. Look at the uninspiring names distancing themselves from the Celtic manager's job. Look back through the same recent history at Parkhead and try and identify a Brian Laudrup, a Paul Gascoigne. Even a Dado Prso.

The only name in their recent history that may jump out is Larsson. However, he was a man who forged his name at that club. Celtic just does not seem to hold the same appeal to the global stars of the World's greatest game. No bias, no blue tinted specs. Unlike our parochial media my assertion is based in a look at the facts and not my own misguided prejudice.

It was with great mirth I read the recent comments of a Burnley fan responding to one of the bitter persuasion's assertion that Owen Coyle would certainly give up a chance at Premiership football to oversee the talents of Paddy McCourt or Darren O'Dea at such a big team.

"You're not even the biggest club in your own city!"

Edited by Super_Ally

Awesome read there mate! (interview prep must be going well :thup:)

You can even point out "premiership class" players like pedro mendes and steve davis as recent coups!

Also if you have a look at the stature of "Rangers Men" within the game it is pretty clear who is the more dominant force...

At the recent OF game at ibrox you had (albeit scottish) heavyweight managers Walter Smith and Alex McLeish and Graeme Souness (perhaps more reknowned for his playing days?). Then there is possibly the greatest manager of all time in the world of football: Sir Alex Ferguson.

Even looking at ex-players doing their punditry/commentating jobs... former celtic players include Charlie Nicholas (relatively high profile, also recognisable in England) but who else? Andy Walker? John Hartson? Please! Amaturish biased reporting within the selfcontained world of scottish football...

... While Sky hosts the likes of the effluent, witty and insightful views of Souness, Nigel Spackman, Ray Wilkins...

We truely are the people :rfc:

Awesome read there mate! (interview prep must be going well :thup:)

You can even point out "premiership class" players like pedro mendes and steve davis as recent coups!

Also if you have a look at the stature of "Rangers Men" within the game it is pretty clear who is the more dominant force...

At the recent OF game at ibrox you had (albeit scottish) heavyweight managers Walter Smith and Alex McLeish and Graeme Souness (perhaps more reknowned for his playing days?). Then there is possibly the greatest manager of all time in the world of football: Sir Alex Ferguson.

Even looking at ex-players doing their punditry/commentating jobs... former celtic players include Charlie Nicholas (relatively high profile, also recognisable in England) but who else? Andy Walker? John Hartson? Please! Amaturish biased reporting within the selfcontained world of scottish football...

... While Sky hosts the likes of the effluent, witty and insightful views of Souness, Nigel Spackman, Ray Wilkins...

We truely are the people :rfc:

All excellent points. I should definitely have included CL winner and EPL quality Mendes and another EPL quality young player in Davis.

Your point on the leanings of those in the media and how they come across is pertinent as well. The only high profile tim is Nicholas and there is a reason he is more commonly referred to as Charlie Ridiculous, whilst the articulate, insightful and well respected talents of Souness, Wilkins and even Andy Gray are Rangers men.

Should have made this a joint peice and included some excellent points there.

(Re: interview prep, you know me. Everything's last minute. The only way I work. Can't focus til near the dealine. Though in ranting and raving about Rangers I seem to be able to keep my mind on the job. :confused: Would the Rangers News pay me for this? :fish: Ha ha).

Great post mate! Will keep this for next week as I'm having an early night tonight then away on a golf outing all weekend!

If you want to make any changes, try and do them before Monday!

Great post mate! Will keep this for next week as I'm having an early night tonight then away on a golf outing all weekend!

If you want to make any changes, try and do them before Monday!

Every now and than, in amongst all the nonsense, I pop up with a good one. :D

Will maybe try and have a look over it over the weekend.

As I was forming the idea of the post I had meant to try and include some of the fantastic quotes from foreign players (ours and our opponents) over a similar period of the game. Though as I got caught up in my meandering rant it somehow got forgotten about. So will see if I can work that in somewhere and also see if I can include Andy's points on the media representatives (though whilst related I am now not entirely sure it fits with the main thrust of the argument in the post). Will add in Mendes certainly and possibly Davis into the list of players. (Can't not include a CL winner).