Recommended films and TV

5 hours ago, the gunslinger said:

while i agree with you. These remakes do open up new younger audiences to westerns. The new True Grit was cracking. 

I think remakes are in the main utterly pointless, could never bring myself to endure the remakes of The Italian Job, The Day Of The Jackal or Get Carter etc.

The only argument I've seen with any merit in regards to a superior remake is perhaps Heat being superior to LA Takedown and that's streching it a bit.

Cape Fear is the only good remake that springs immediately to my mind.  I'm not sure about True Grit compared to the original because I generally avoid John Wayne films.

I haven't seen the original Scarface but surely it can't be any more ridiculous than De Palma's version.  I know it's highly entertaining but it's a very silly film (I'm sure they were racking them up whilst making it).  

The worst remakes are when Hollywood taken on foreign films, such as Oldboy and The Ring.  The originals were amazing but the US versions were crap.

44 minutes ago, forlanssister said:

I think remakes are in the main utterly pointless, could never bring myself to endure the remakes of The Italian Job, The Day Of The Jackal or Get Carter etc.

The only argument I've seen with any merit in regards to a superior remake is perhaps Heat being superior to LA Takedown and that's streching it a bit.

it's not about being superior as such. I prefer the original true grit but my kids have only seen the new one. they would simply never have watched the old one. They aren't made for fans of the old ones like us. 

4 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

I haven't seen the original Scarface but surely it can't be any more ridiculous than De Palma's version.  I know it's highly entertaining but it's a very silly film (I'm sure they were racking them up whilst making it).  

tumblr_lxd8l0ZWsW1qerukio4_250.gif

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've now seen No Time To Die.

Fairly unremarkable and similar to all the other Daniel Craig Bond efforts. 

Ana de Armas made it almost worthwhile though. 

Edited by Gonzo79

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2021 at 16:22, Franc Ergs said:

Watched six episodes of the multi award winning Ted Lasso, i can only assume that the awards were decided by under 16's.

Three hours of my life that i'll never get back again.

I must be under 16.  I think Ted Lasso is a great show