Very quiet on the Rangers news front right now, so thankfully we have Super_Ally showing us how the grandiose media coverage of the arrival of footballing God Tony Mowbray is somewhat flawed to say the least....

http://www.gersnetonline.co.uk/newsite/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=801&Itemid=2

With the arrival of Tony Mowbray at Celtic confirmed last week, we have been flooded with glowing tributes for the scintillating attacking football Moggaââ?¬â?¢s sideââ?¬â?¢s treat the viewing public to. Any right minded individual is fully aware that it was for reasons other than football that led to the Celtic fans revolt against Strachanââ?¬â?¢s tenure. The outgoing manager was more successful than the darling of the demonic hordes; Martin Oââ?¬â?¢Neill, whose Celtic team employed a long-ball brand of football reminiscent of Wimbledonââ?¬â?¢s Crazy Gang. So the talk of the ââ?¬Å?Celtic wayââ?¬Â of playing football does not wash with this bear. Not since the ultimately unsuccessful, eulogised and over-hyped days of Tommy Burns have Celtic played any kind of exciting passing football game.

One must remember it was Frank Rijkaard who first popularised the term ââ?¬Å?anti-footballââ?¬Â when referring to the tactics and game plan employed by Oââ?¬â?¢Neilââ?¬â?¢s charges campaigning in European footballââ?¬â?¢s second tournament. Fast forward a few years and another Barcelona employee (Lionel Messi) was levelling the same claim against Rangers. What the two games have in common is a positive result for the teams with the more meagre resources. Sour-grapes from the big spenders of Europeââ?¬â?¢s elite leagues?

It is the appointment of Celtic�s new manager, someone used to not winning in Celtic colours under Tommy Burns, which has again brought this issue into the media spotlight and onto the back pages of the newspapers. I watched a report on the BBC website with great interest yesterday. Whilst it was sadly lacking in substance and real in-depth reporting, it was none-the-less eye opening. Of the three Celtic fans they questioned (I guess the rest are in hiding after Rangers won the double) they were twice given the answer of entertainment as their main priority for the incoming manager.

With a distinctly British bias to the list, the names that spring to mind, when considering manager�s who have provided entertainment in recent season�s include Arsene Wenger, John Hughes, Pep Guardiola and of course Mowbray. Wenger�s Arsenal has not won anything for 4 years. Hughes� Falkirk narrowly avoided relegation and suffered the ignominy of conceding 7 goals in one league game playing a slick passing game. Mowbray of course refused to change his side�s style during last year�s Premiership campaign and whilst the other promoted team�s managers led their team through a creditable first season culminating in retaining their top flight status, Mowbray�s West Brom were sent back at the first attempt with barely a whimper.

Now I am not going to argue it is impossible to play an attractive game and win things. Barcelona played some of the best football in Europe in winning a La Liga and Champion�s League double this year. In some of their European fixtures the football was scintillating. Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, Henry, Eto�o. The passing and movement was mesmerising. When it came to the crunch, in the semi-final against Chelsea they were fortunate to see off the opposition thanks to questionable officiating and a late goal as the beautiful football deserted them. And again, with Europe�s two form teams meeting at Rome�s Stadio Olimpico, the much anticipated quality football deserted both teams.

So, yes, it is possible to play entertaining football and win. It�s just very rare. Sticking to a strict mantra of playing attractive football does seem to be certain of one thing though. Ultimately, disappointment when the prizes are handed out at the end the season. Just ask Messrs Wenger, Hughes and Mowbray.

Conversely, Ferguson, Mourinho and even Guardiola have shown flexibility. An aptitude to know when to sacrifice their footballing ideals to win the game. At a different level of competition, Walter Smith has shown the same pragmatism. Rangers battled valiant on four fronts 2 seasons ago. Competing for an unprecedented quadruple, we emerged with a creditable double. But not the two we wanted.

Rangers could not tolerate another season without the big one last season. Again Smith emerged victorious with a double. This time he got his hands on the one we all wanted: the SPL Championship.

Four trophies in 2 seasons, reaching the final match of every other competition competed for. That is the only measure of a manager and his abilities: silverware. History will look back far more favourably on Walter Smith than it will Tommy Burns. Mowbray would be better served aiming to emulate Burn�s nemesis than Burns himself. Hopefully, however, he will be fooled into believing the bewildering claims of the Celtic masses of preferring style over substance.

Another example to accentuate your point is Louis van Gaal and AZ. Two seasons ago when Louis took over he tried to play the attractive football as he did at Ajax and Barca. This resulted in AZ fighting for their lives at the bottom of the Dutch league and Louis almost losing his job. This season he adopted a more soak and break football and AZ walked away with the league, using almost all the same players.

:cheers: Frankie.

Another example to accentuate your point is Louis van Gaal and AZ. Two seasons ago when Louis took over he tried to play the attractive football as he did at Ajax and Barca. This resulted in AZ fighting for their lives at the bottom of the Dutch league and Louis almost losing his job. This season he adopted a more soak and break football and AZ walked away with the league, using almost all the same players.

I did wonder what happened to AZ falling off so badly. Assumed it was bigger team poaching their players or their luck running out. Something like that. Had no idea it was to do with the football employed by Van Gaal (no doubt just one of the causes). We don't really get much coverage of Dutch football and tbh I was lazy and made assumptions. If this most recent and more succesful season can, in part, be put down to a change of tactics from the manager it does indeed add weight to the arguement.

Of course, fans are right when they say we should be able to win and play better football. However, it isn't always so easy unless you have the best players in Europe like at Barca.

Come on S_A..... a wee bit more research eh ??? Barca won the treble....

They don't usually put much stock in winning the Cup on the continent so I didn't think it was worth mentioning. :whistle:

Na, forgot they also won the Copa Del Rey tbh. :o

Come on S_A..... a wee bit more research eh ??? Barca won the treble.... :thup:

Yeah but where was the silky football? Didn't see much in the CL final - very poor match and even our much maligned UEFA final was a better game to watch.

There was the odd bit of good play in the CL final but I think you'll always get that when you've got the best players in the world on the pitch...

:cheers: Frankie.

I did wonder what happened to AZ falling off so badly. Assumed it was bigger team poaching their players or their luck running out. Something like that. Had no idea it was to do with the football employed by Van Gaal (no doubt just one of the causes). We don't really get much coverage of Dutch football and tbh I was lazy and made assumptions. If this most recent and more succesful season can, in part, be put down to a change of tactics from the manager it does indeed add weight to the arguement.

Of course, fans are right when they say we should be able to win and play better football. However, it isn't always so easy unless you have the best players in Europe like at Barca.

They don't usually put much stock in winning the Cup on the continent so I didn't think it was worth mentioning. :whistle:

Na, forgot they also won the Copa Del Rey tbh. :o

The football AZ played this season was actually totally against Van Gaals principles. The season before last AZ played some fantastic football but kept getting caught with a sucker punch as they tried to play attacking football. This obviously also led to a huge loss of confidence.

The worst display was against NEC where they lost 6-1(i think) and the whole NEC support started singing let's all wave at Louis. They all started waving and van Gaal sunk deeper in his seat.

It is going to be interesting to see which tactics van Gaal will adopt at Bayern. Munich. Personally i think if he tries to play too attacking the other teams will rip Bayern apart.

It is going to be interesting to see which tactics van Gaal will adopt at Bayern. Munich. Personally i think if he tries to play too attacking the other teams will rip Bayern apart.

He can only benefit from the experience of having made mistakes. Learning the hard way is the best. I think you'll see that in how Bayern play. I bet they'll be a really well balanced side that's hard to break through & deadly on the break.

He can only benefit from the experience of having made mistakes. Learning the hard way is the best. I think you'll see that in how Bayern play. I bet they'll be a really well balanced side that's hard to break through & deadly on the break.

I am not so sure, it is totally against his principles to play that way and the players he has bought from Holland are very attacking minded. Admittedly he may have learned from his mistakes but van Gaal hates to admit he made mistakes, so he could revert back to his favourite system to try and prove a point.

The football AZ played this season was actually totally against Van Gaals principles. The season before last AZ played some fantastic football but kept getting caught with a sucker punch as they tried to play attacking football. This obviously also led to a huge loss of confidence.

The worst display was against NEC where they lost 6-1(i think) and the whole NEC support started singing let's all wave at Louis. They all started waving and van Gaal sunk deeper in his seat.

Well the changes he made worked just a bit eh? Barely seemed to drop points.

Will be very interesting to see what tactics he adopts this year and how effective he is. We could get them in the CL could we not?