Rangers FC Agree to 'Setting the Standard' Debate

Spot on SA.

It is of course accurate to suggest that the STS document would be of much greater use to a forward-thinking , progressive, new board, than the uninterested current chairman.

However, we as fans are unable to make that change happen without uit having a major impact on the team, so we have to deal with the current chairman, and that is what the STS idea is all about.

If all these summer stories of takeovers turn out to be more accurate than anyone is giving credit for, then we have surely hit the jackpot, and the STS could be taken a lot further than I think it will.

TBH if even one of the suggestions included in the 50 page report is taken on by the club and implemented, it will have been a success.

Like others, I am waiting on the organisations who are supposed to be looking after our interests, coming up with something better.

The RST did produce a 14 point plan which was full of good ideas and presented it to the club a couple fo years ago, then sat back and didn't push it forward. STS can learn from those mistakes and ensure that either this project is supported, or the powers that be come up with something better. Either way, it is the club that surely wins and progresses as a result, and that at the end of the day is all we as fans want.

I am proud of my small part in the STS document, but if Rangers said no to the document in it's entirity but came up with something better themselves and took it through to it's conclusion that was a betterment for fans and the club, I would be delighted to have been involved in something that at least opened up the debate.

I say to those that criticise it exactly what the club said to them. Criticism is easy, solutions are harder. If you are going to criticise that is your right as a supporter, but it is better for all concerned if you have a solution to the problem you are complaining about.

And dont forget that STS was compiled by a handful of oridinary bears who wrote on subjects they felt passionate about. No funding from the club, no fancy fundraising dinners, no annual memberships.

To be honest, I'm at a loss as to what other strategy concerned supporters could employ at this stage?

We're all well aware of the apathy amongst the support for 'political' issues and that apathy will only have increased after winning the double. As such, I think it is much better to try and widen the debate via constructive contributions and suggestions as opposed to anything more aggressive. As Big_Spliff showed in his article, such protest has its place but now isn't that place IMO.

What suggestions and recommendations did you disagree with in the report, MF?

What suggestions and recommendations do you have? And how would you go about presenting them to the club and wider support?

Also, if the club do reject/shelve/patronise the STS report, how would you recommend the project moves forward? Obviously we have thought about the club not taking the report seriously and how we'd react, but we'd certainly welcome any other ideas therein.

TBH if even one of the suggestions included in the 50 page report is taken on by the club and implemented, it will have been a success.

A very important point that should not be overlooked should the STS report manage to effect even just one change.

Like others, I am waiting on the organisations who are supposed to be looking after our interests, coming up with something better.

Don't hold your breath. :D

I am proud of my small part in the STS document, but if Rangers said no to the document in it's entirity but came up with something better themselves and took it through to it's conclusion that was a betterment for fans and the club, I would be delighted to have been involved in something that at least opened up the debate.

I know of some others who should be taking that line. :whistle: It's about improving Rangers, and not taking the hump because it is not your idea specifically that is taken forward to change the club. As you say, if the club do go ahead and make changes, whether or not it is under the guise of the STS report it would be fair to suggest the report has been an instigating factor.

And dont forget that STS was compiled by a handful of oridinary bears who wrote on subjects they felt passionate about. No funding from the club, no fancy fundraising dinners, no annual memberships.

Perhaps that will serves as an eye opener to the club that whilst many of the fans are not captains of industry we still have a wealth of talent and skills within the support.

Even if nothing is directly achieved from the report, there is one thing that will definitely be achieved - and that is to show that criticism of the board is not just the domain of a minority of phone-in nuts.

It shows that there is significant body of intelligent fans who have a highly studied and professional approach to providing proper constructive criticism which suggests positive alternatives to move the club forward, rather than just loudly airing relatively unqualified grievances.

It totally debunks the misconception that the quiet majority support Murray and that his detractors are just mischief makers.

It shows there is a good reason to engage with the fans and to treat their opinions with respect and attempting proper dialogue rather than continuing to think we will fall for all the old bullshit.

I think it will at minimum, raise a few eyebrows on the Ibrox board.

That to me, is probably the most important success that the report will achieve - the fact that the critics of Murray and Bain will gain credibility and respectability.

The second thing it will achieve is to give a wealth of information to those fans who read the report. They will either be able to give their grievances a lot of thoughtful justification or will find their immovable support for Murray start to crumble with the home truths that the report provides.

It could help the support unite in looking for a better future for Rangers rather than dividing due to differences of opinion on short term goals which primarily seem to be only focused on regime change without thinking about the potential consequences.

In my opinion, it dramatically raises the level of debate about our club and the level of informed opinion among the fans.

It will definitely vastly increase the pressure on the board to make positive changes in the way the club is run.

Some great points there cal... :thup:

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, no-one associated with the project is naive enough to think the club will drop everything in amazement and/or implement everything before the next AGM.

However, we do hope the constructive approach will yield a reaction in kind from the club in terms of opening up the debate between the supporters and the board-room. Then we can examine the issues in the report in a more in-depth fashion and that is where ideas and suggestions can become something more tangible.

Of course that strategy will frustrate those of us who'd prefer a more vocal, more aggressive, more in-yer-face approach but we can't please everybody. That isn't to say such a strategy may not be utilised in the future if necessary...

:)

To be fair, the scepticism surrounding the club's potential reaction to the report is fair enough, and well-founded if the board's polite swatting away of We Deserve Better and every other well-intentioned fan-initiated idea is anything to go by.

In addition, it is a fact that truly long-lasting change will remain a forlorn hope while our current custodian and CEO are at the club. I would take any promises these two make with a dumper truck of salt.

But that's not to say no good can come of the report, nor that the creators should receive anything other than our thanks and admiration.

Often the biggest step is getting the debate underway, hopefully STS will contribute to that.

To be fair, the scepticism surrounding the club's potential reaction to the report is fair enough, and well-founded if the board's polite swatting away of We Deserve Better and every other well-intentioned fan-initiated idea is anything to go by.

In addition, it is a fact that truly long-lasting change will remain a forlorn hope while our current custodian and CEO are at the club. I would take any promises these two make with a dumper truck of salt.

But that's not to say no good can come of the report, nor that the creators should receive anything other than our thanks and admiration.

Often the biggest step is getting the debate underway, hopefully STS will contribute to that.

I don't think anyone has suggested that it is not a distinct possibility that the club may/will not act on the points raised in the report.

As you say that is no reason to dismiss the report, and the effort of those who contributed to it, out of hand completely.

Perfectly reasonable to be sceptical, but all the better if you can look at the bigger picture at the same time. :thup:

To be clear Norris, we're not looking for thanks or admiration anyway but simply want as many fans as possible to get involved so that the club can't swat this away easily. Indeed, so far it hasn't been the club that are trying to do the swatting but one or two fan organisations who seem extremely reluctant to comment.

To that end your final sentence is all we're looking for in many ways. As such, the fact the report will be discussed amongst the more 'politically active' fans in the support represented via the Assembly means a small first step has been taken.

Only after the club/fan reps have commented further can we decide whether or not how successful the project has been. But, as posted earlier, the hard work has only started IMO.

As always, we welcome ideas and suggestions for how to move forward.

Indeed, so far it hasn't been the club that are trying to do the swatting but one or two fan organisations who seem extremely reluctant to comment.

No prizes for guessing....

Murray will always be comfortable while the support is so divided.

Watch the fence doesn't do permanent damage Norris.:) I know that you know exactly what will happen to the STS report. It's got no chance.

But I think my original post was deliberately misunderstood. I've no problem with the effort that went into compilation of the report or many of the points made. My frustration is with the backslapping sense of achievement between members of this forum, when nothing has been or will be changed by this approach. By all means feel good about what you've done but when people like Calscot say

I think it will at minimum, raise a few eyebrows on the Ibrox board.

then it's clear you're drowning in smuggery and deluded beyond hope. Murray might raise an eyebrow in continued amusement at your feeble efforts but if you think he will be impressed at anything other than his own security then you need therapy.

Good try but no cigar.