Kris Boyd: I'll know I've made it at Rangers when I start a Champions League match

THE hairs on the back of his neck will stand to attention. Blue blood will rush through his veins.

When he stares up at Ibrox's main stand and that famous Champions League tune booms out, Kris Boyd will know he has finally arrived.

At that moment he will be exactly where he wants to be.

There isn't a lot the Rangers striker hasn't achieved in his time at the club.

Top scorer every season, a clean sweep of domestic medals and 102 goals to his name at the age of 25.

But the one thing he hasn't done? Start a match for the club he loves on the biggest stage of all.

That's why Boyd will return to Murray Park on July 9 as hungry as ever - for a shot at Champions League glory.

The hitman rattled in 31 goals as Gers became SPL champions last term but is now desperate to make his mark on Europe's top club competition.

Rangers have been involved in eight Champions League games since Boyd's move from Kilmarnock in 2006 but he has only featured in two. And both those appearances came off the bench.

But the striker believes he is ready for the step up in class after adding a new dimension to his game last term.

He told MailSport: "I took massive strides in terms of becoming a regular starter last season. I've managed to change opinions and the Champions League is the next step.

"I've done just about everything I wanted to do in my Rangers career. I have won the title, cups, scored 100 goals and played for Scotland.

"But I haven't started a game in the Champions League and next season I want to be part of it. I want to stamp my authority on that tournament.

"I feel I'm ready and believe I can play at that level. If I'm lining up at Ibrox with that Champions League music on it will confirm I've matured in to the player I need to be.

"It will show I have grown in to the kind of man who can be successful at a club like Rangers. I want to build on that and show I deserve to be there.

"Not only have I matured as a player but I've also matured as a person in the last couple of years. I'm the first to admit I had a lot of daftness about me early on in my career.

"I was young and naive. I tended to follow other people and was influenced by them. But you have to grow up and realise what is right and wrong.

"You need to do it quickly at a club like Rangers if you want to succeed."

Boyd rarely passes up a chance in front of goal - as his 102 strikes in just 152 games for the club will testify. But one that did get away came in Gers' vital Champions League last-16 clash against Spanish cracks Villarreal in 2006.

With the game tied at 1-1 he came off the bench and missed a gilt-edged chance that might have taken Alex McLeish's men in to the last eight for the first time in Rangers' history.

But Boyd isn't haunted by it. Instead the memory of that wasted chance only drives him on to succeed at that level.

He said: "I remember the Villarreal game well. We felt we had a real chance of going through and came so close.

"I came off the bench in Spain and missed a chance late on - but I don't look back and worry about it.

"Of course I think 'what if?' It would have been great to score the goal that took us in to the last eight. But it didn't happen and I've moved on.

"If I worried about every chance I missed in my career it would drive me mad. These things happen and it's about how you come back from them.

"I'm just hoping this can be my year in the Champions League." Last season was a pivotal campaign in Boyd's career at Ibrox.

He came close to leaving in January as David Murray looked to recoup some of the cash lost by Gers' dismal Champions League exit to FBK Kaunas.

So it says a lot about Boyd's character that he came back from that stronger than ever - finishing the season as Walter Smith's first-choice striker and breaking the 100-goal barrier.

Now Kris wants to start this term the way he finished the last.

He said: "I want to be the SPL's top scorer again. I'm known for my goals but it isn't easy doing it every year.

"However, I would be disappointed if I didn't hit at least 20 every season.

"You get a lot of chances at a club like Rangers so that's the least the fans would expect.

"Most importantly it's about the team winning and we're determined to retain our title and win the cups.

"A lot of people had their doubts about me as a player but I have improved. It's difficult when you're not everyone's cup of tea.

"Everyone said I was reliant on my goals but I have gone a long way to proving them wrong by showing there's more to my game.

"When you keep hearing the same criticism it gets you down but it's about how you react. Last season I realised I had to do more and it ended with a championship medal.

"I like to think I'm more of a team player now. The most pleasing aspect is I haven't lost anything goal-wise.

"Everyone thought that would suffer but thankfully it hasn't."

http://www.sundaymail.co.uk/sport-news/scottish-football/spl/2009/06/28/kris-boyd-i-ll-know-i-ve-made-it-at-rangers-when-i-start-a-champions-league-match-78057-21478070/

He is saying all the right things.

His performances after the Scotland fiasco then towards the end of the season improved a lot as he was putting much more effort in.

Its all about consistancy. He needs to come back for pre-season fully fit and trim and keep it up.

Sounds like he is beginning to mature a bit aswell, the thought of being sold must have hit home that he was having it too easy at times so he dig in a bit.

However if we got a 3M offer for him id still grab it.

The key striker for me next season is Lafferty. If he can stay fit and is played upfront then he will be important. Who'd have thought that after his first 6 months at the club though!!!

However if we got a 3M offer for him id still grab it.

The key striker for me next season is Lafferty. If he can stay fit and is played upfront then he will be important. Who'd have thought that after his first 6 months at the club though!!!

If you'd sell Boyd for �£3m you're a sandwich short of a picnic mate. 102 goals in 152 appearances for us. There's no chance that Lafferty could match that if given the chance. I don't think Lafferty is capable of anywhere near that sort of goal to game ratio.

If you'd sell Boyd for �£3m you're a sandwich short of a picnic mate. 102 goals in 152 appearances for us. There's no chance that Lafferty could match that if given the chance. I don't think Lafferty is capable of anywhere near that sort of goal to game ratio.

Ok then, 2M?? :fish:

Individuals dont win titles (unless your Ronaldo, Maradona) - teams do!

I'll not doubt his scoring record overall, and i did say he is improving. But there was a couple of games last season where we were being held we went ahead once he came off so the argument that Boyds goals won us the title doesnt stick for me. It was a team contribution. Yes we needed Boyds goals but we needed the wins against Celtic (4-2), Hibs (3-0), Dundee utd (2-0) to name a few just as much.

Im not starting a Boyd debate here, my point is more so that we need consistancy. Im not expecting 38 awesome performances from any player but some players only give us maybe 1 in 3 games or a run of 6 good games then 6 bad. Ferguson for EG is 1 good game then 7 bad!

I'll not doubt his scoring record overall, and i did say he is improving. But there was a couple of games last season where we were being held we went ahead once he came off so the argument that Boyds goals won us the title doesnt stick for me. It was a team contribution. Yes we needed Boyds goals but we needed the wins against Celtic (4-2), Hibs (3-0), Dundee utd (2-0) to name a few just as much.

Those comments don't stand up to any scrutiny Gribz. The best strikers in the world have their off days (often many of them) & it may be against the poorer opponents occasionally, but it's regularly against the better ones as well. Just look at the performances of the best strikers in the world for their performances with club teams & country & you'll see what I'm getting at.

Those comments don't stand up to any scrutiny Gribz. The best strikers in the world have their off days (often many of them) & it may be against the poorer opponents occasionally, but it's regularly against the better ones as well. Just look at the performances of the best strikers in the world for their performances with club teams & country & you'll see what I'm getting at.

Absolutely agree that every striker in the world has his off days. Henry at Arsenal was a classic example. For 5 weeks he would be unplayable then he would have a shocker (although with Henry it seemed to be a mood thing).

My point about Boyd was merely he needs to get his percentage of off days down. Id say the same thing about a number of players. All they need to do is look at Davie Weir who at 39 was probably our most consistant player last season.

But have to say Boyd seemed to get his finger out at the turn of this year and has definatly improved his all round game.

Like you said though, it's a team game & to be fair, we can't rely on Boyd to win any game for us any more than Barca can rely on Henry or anyone else to win them a game. If the team are playing well enough as a unit & supplying the strikers throughout the game, there's no reason why the strikers shouln't be scoring, but sometimes fate/luck whatever you want to call it, doesn't go your way. Last season their were numerous games that we 'deserved' to win, but didn't & to blame that solely on your top goal scorer is just wrong imo.