Owen linked to shock Man Utd move

Manchester United have refused to be drawn on growing speculation they are about to sign striker Michael Owen.

The 29-year-old, who is out of contract, did not return for pre-season training with Newcastle after his deal with the Magpies ran out in June.

One bookmaker slashed their odds on Owen, who has also been linked with Everton, Aston Villa, Stoke and Hull, joining United from 20-1 to 5-2.

"We don't comment on transfer rumours," a United spokesman told BBC Sport.

Any deal for Owen would be subject to the striker passing a stringent medical, which could take place as early as Friday, given his frequent injury problems over the last few years.

I just question the injury scenario

Blackburn manager Sam Allardyce

The former Liverpool forward scored 10 goals in all competitions last season, although an ankle injury and groin operation severely disrupted his season.

His last league goal was on 10 January against West Ham.

Since losing the Champions League final to Barcelona at the end of May, the Premier League holders have sold forward Cristiano Ronaldo to Real Madrid for �£80m and failed to persuade striker Carlos Tevez to stay at Old Trafford.

The departure of those two players has left United manager Sir Alex Ferguson with a shortage of strikers, with Frazier Campbell also likely to be sold.

However, Ferguson did bring in winger Antonio Valencia from Wigan on Tuesday.

United were also reportedly keen on Lyon striker Karim Benzema, who is set to join Real, while Bayern Munich forward Franck Ribery has been linked with a move to the Madrid club rather than the English champions.

If Ferguson does capture Owen it would be reminiscent of his willingness to take a chance on players with either difficult reputations, such as Eric Cantona, or players that have suffered serious injury problems like Henrik Larsson.

Even so, the move for Owen represents something of a gamble for Ferguson, given Blackburn manager Sam Allardyce ruled out a move for the striker given his injury history.

"I just question the injury scenario," said Allardyce earlier this week.

"I need a striker that's going to be available for 30 games next season. That's not happened for Michael over the last four years."

After Newcastle were relegated to the Championship, Owen expressed his desire to remain in the Premier League.

The Wasserman Media Group (WMG), the management company that represents him, sent out a brochure to a number of clubs reminding them of the talent that resulted in the striker scoring 158 goals in about 300 games for Liverpool and 40 goals in 89 appearances for England.

606: DEBATE

If Fergie can get him firing again, (and if anybody can, the best man manager in the Premier League can) then we have got a real gem

ogni strada

No-one was available for comment at the WMG.

Owen was widely reported to be earning more than �£100,000-a-week at Newcastle after signing a four-year deal when he moved from Real Madrid in August 2005 for a club record fee of �£16m, though his wages are unlikely to be a problem for the Old Trafford club.

However, his time on Tyneside was plagued by injury problems, as he suffered a broken metatarsal bone, knee ligament damage sustained at the 2006 World Cup, as well as a double hernia operation and a thigh problem.

The forward has made 79 appearances for the Magpies and scored 30 goals in four seasons.

If Owen does move to Old Trafford it would revive the former Liverpool striker's hopes of resurrecting his international hopes and taking part in the 2010 World Cup.

Owen has been marginalised by England manager Fabio Capello and has won just one cap under the Italian, as a substitute in the 1-0 friendly defeat by France in Paris on 26 March, 2008.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/8131801.stm

I almost spat my coffee out this morning reading this on the BBC.

If there is 1 player who has lady luck on his side then its Owen. For the last 5 or 6 years he has been awful after losing his pace. Some of his goals are flukes and mis-hits but he gets classed as a World class striker still!! :confused:

At least Capello came straight in and dumped him for England knowing he wasnt a player.

But off the park he is worth a fortune for being so poor. Newcastle have had about 3 good games out of him in 4 years yet pay him 110k a week and now he is linked with Man U....

If you read his brochure you will find that, apparently, his goals:chance ratio at Newcastle last season was the highest in the EPL.

With a bunch more ahcnaces at a much better club he could be a workable, cheap otion for Man U.

I think he is very much on the decline myself though.

If you read his brochure you will find that, apparently, his goals:chance ratio at Newcastle last season was the highest in the EPL.

With a bunch more ahcnaces at a much better club he could be a workable, cheap otion for Man U.

I think he is very much on the decline myself though.

Were you typing with your forehead there? :P

I take Fergie was impressed by Owen's brochure? :D

Were you typing with your forehead there? :P

I take Fergie was impressed by Owen's brochure? :D

Wow, that was quite the word I managed there.

For a change, busy at work - have a booze cruise in less than 2 hours and the bassas expect some productivity before I go !

Wow, that was quite the word I managed there.

For a change, busy at work - have a booze cruise in less than 2 hours and the bassas expect some productivity before I go !

I knew what you meant. :devil:

Ha ha. Had to take the opportunity to get you back after my recent spate of typing the exact opposite of what I meant to (e.g feeling sorry Brazil instead of US in the confed cup final).

Enjoy the booze cruise. :thup:

I'll have to get that PR company to make up one of those brochures for me....

"Norris' reliance on alcohol is a media invention...."

A challenge for Gersnetters, produce the best Owen type brochure for yourself, :thup:

Cant believe Man U have signed this imposter! He is finshed!

Ronaldo and Tevez out.....Owen and Valencia In....Thats definatly weakened the team. Valencia is a good player but nothing like Ronaldo, and Tevez is far more effective than Owen.

Owen and Berbatov upfront wont scare any teams next season!!

Sir Awex likes a gamble but he going to have to go get someone else if he wants to retain the title.

The title is going to the Emirates!!! 8/1 is a steal!!