Super_Ally explores the wide-ranging implications of the now defunct Rangers TV channel and asks just how important this could be with European leagues again being mooted...

http://www.gersnetonline.co.uk/newsite/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=806&Itemid=1

Whilst all fans of the Bluenose persuasion revelled in the demise of the Irish Broadcaster Setanta with the knowledge we will no longer have to suffer a distinctly anti-Rangers agenda from what should be neutral coverage of the Scottish game, it does bring to the fore an important question. What now for Rangers TV?

Many of us will have ââ?¬Å?Sky+ââ?¬â?¢edââ?¬Â the RTV coverage of the 2008/9 Double Winners and their celebrations. Probably the defining moment of RTVââ?¬â?¢s short lived run was wee Nacho Novo serenading the lovely Lindsey Archibald with a rendition of ââ?¬Å?Ha ha Samarasââ?¬Â and performing "The Bouncy" on Ibrox Uncovered.

RTV took a lot of stick in the early seasons it broadcasted. Excessive repeats of the few programmes shown throughout the week, the same games from season�s past played again and again and again and various quality issues were often levelled at the channel. However, in recent seasons the programming did improve. There were still repeats of games, but this may well be put down to who owned the rights to show matches from various eras. Ms Archibald, taking over as the face of RTV from Ali Douglas, improved immeasurably over her tenure. Indeed, persons associated with the channel were committed to a project exploring the club's founders.

It is sad therefore that just as RTV really began to turn into a quality medium for Rangers fans to follow the club, the Tannadice/Ibrox celebrations and Rangers Mastermind being particular favourites, the demise of Setanta has led to uncertainty over the continuation of a Rangers dedicated TV channel.

Further confusion has arisen from the fact that the dedicated Liverpool and Arsenal channels are still broadcasting. It appears however, that there must be a difference in the deals struck between these clubs and Setanta that has allowed the Premiership sides to continue to run their own TV channel.

However, it begs the question, if these clubs can run their own club TV station, why can�t the mighty Glasgow Rangers. A club with an enormous global fan base; a World Record making and breaking history; and a majesty and mystique appealing to commercial broadcasters must surely be capable of a similar provision?

I can understand most fans holding this view point and so it is important that we realise that for many years MUTV, perhaps the fore-runner of Club Football TV, was run by Man United as a loss making venture. In this time of financial uncertainty across the globe and with the knowledge that Rangers are looking to reduce our costs, cut the wage bill and hopefully enhance profit margins, the club could not commit to a loss making project.

It is even more distressing then, that in viewing the Portsmouth FC website I came across a stream for PFC TV. Free on the website, I didn�t even need to subscribe (though having subscribed to the Rangers website sometimes gives you full access to other club�s pages as they use the same provider). Unlike the Rangers website and Rangers World, there was no fee and/or no monthly cost for this facility. They had an interview link with a former player. With the recent demise of Setanta and RTV I was intrigued and clicked the link. It was a perfect stream, good quality and no doubt highly informative to the Portsmouth fans.

With the knowledge of the free availability of PFC TV on their website I do wonder how a club the size of Rangers cannot produce an equivalent service. Sure, there are some fans that are never happy and will knock it whatever, but I am sure such a concept would be welcomed by many. Even the possibility of improving the Rangers World service (something I am ignorant of) and/or transferring the programmes from RTV to this medium should be explored. The feasibility of this could be ascertained by the club. Surely it is something that is worthy of investigation. I know from perusing various websites that whilst RTV was initially not well received, since the cessation of broadcasts many fans miss their daily fix of Rangers news and the behind the scenes insights that Rangers Uncovered allowed us, something hitherto unavailable.

With European Leagues again being mooted by the Spanish elite, Rangers should once again be ââ?¬Å?Setting the Standardââ?¬Â to emphasise our world-wide appeal by not just providing a valuable service to the clubââ?¬â?¢s loyal fans but by making the club instantly accessible to all via modern technology. The current economic climate across the world means more than ever our commercial and marketing ventures are crucial to our financial well-being. The replacement of Rangers TV and the upgrading of our club website/Rangers World would go some way to addressing that.

:rfc:

Like the re-write for the final paragraph. :cheers:

I really think that if Pompey can provide some sort of free-to-air service on their website we should be able of at least matching that.

With this season's double win there has been some classic RTV momments of which everyone has seen the youtube clips.

If we'd never had it in the first place I don't think anyone would miss it. But with the improving quality of programmes I would be disappointed if we didn't manage some kind of replacement.

Good Piece Ally.

To be honest Rangers could reach so many supporters over the satellite. If I could watch live games over the satellite i would be really interested in joining up. As long as they stay under a British (Sky\Setanta) umbrella They are losing valuable cash from ex-pats. I won't pay and cannot receive Sky or Setanata and then extra money for Rangers tv. For a reasonable price i would be interested in Rangers tv alone. If live games are shown.

Good Piece Ally.

To be honest Rangers could reach so many supporters over the satellite. If I could watch live games over the satellite i would be really interested in joining up. As long as they stay under a British (Sky\Setanta) umbrella They are losing valuable cash from ex-pats. I won't pay and cannot receive Sky or Setanata and then extra money for Rangers tv. For a reasonable price i would be interested in Rangers tv alone. If live games are shown.

I'm unsure about the broadcasting rights and legalities of it all, but for British based fans they broadcast the full game on the Monday usually (I think).However might they be able to set up something similar to Rangers World but with Rangers tv whereby they could broadcast the game live outside of Britain? Would solve the issue for yourself and bring in added revenue to the club from expats that would help fund RTV.

Perhaps someone else can explain the legality of it all.

I'm unsure about the broadcasting rights and legalities of it all, but for British based fans they broadcast the full game on the Monday usually (I think).However might they be able to set up something similar to Rangers World but with Rangers tv whereby they could broadcast the game live outside of Britain? Would solve the issue for yourself and bring in added revenue to the club from expats that would help fund RTV.

Perhaps someone else can explain the legality of it all.

The old firm game is normally sent out on Dutch and German sports channels but that is the only game they are interested in. sky used to be shown on the continent before it became the power it is now. They wanted one guilder per person per month from cable firms who refused to pay. that is when they pulled back to Britain.:(

some interesting points, and a subject worth keeping on top of! I'd say if the club were to go solo outside the UK, they would be cutting off exposure to non-rangers fans, as it would be easier to let other people access it through an established provider. That said, how much would non-gers fans miss out on? is there even a market there? what about if we signed another foreigner that had his own personal fan-base... I mean, how many supporters clubs have popped up because of players we have signed? e.g. Arthur Numan, Michael Mols...

I think the internet is definitely the way to go in terms of the foreign market, but the club is probably too short-sighted to see the potential. Even if they did go down that route it would probably be palmed off to a 3rd party, despite the fact that genuine Rangers fans have shown the drive, enthusiasm and know-how to practically do it themselves.

The old firm game is normally sent out on Dutch and German sports channels but that is the only game they are interested in. sky used to be shown on the continent before it became the power it is now. They wanted one guilder per person per month from cable firms who refused to pay. that is when they pulled back to Britain.:(

So typically greed from the broadcaster has seen the fans miss out.

But that is just another reason for the club to offer a service via the website.

(Will reply to the other guys later. Off out now.)

Good Piece Ally.

Pete, as you are outside the UK you can purchase almost all Rangers games from the official website - cost is a fiver a game.

The issue I have with it is that often the stream is slower than the pirated streams. If I am paying a fiver I expect a decent broadcast.