Hypocrisy: Diving in at the deep end

It's all them foreigners' fault! Coming over 'ere, beating our teams...and what about that Arsene Wenger, eh? He'd defend Adolf if 'e was wearing a Gunners shirt! Bleedin' Eduardo...

Disregarding the hypocritical bleating of former players - all, doubtless, keen to play up their own honesty at the expense of others - it has to be faced, players have been diving since the year dot. It's only the improved coverage from more, better cameras in the last 10-15 years that has seen the perpetrators of this heinous crime being caught.

Yes, that co-incided with the influx of foreign players into both SPL and EPL; but anyone who claims these greasy, garlic smelling dagos, wops and Krauts have initiated our honest Alf Tuppers into their evil mysteries is deluding themselves.

My memory is not what is was - but I can recall Kevin Drinkell hitting the deck against Anton Rogan years ago, just before the tackle came in, not that I was complaining. I can recall Roy Aitken, hilariously sporting both the captain's armband and the shirt of his country - explain that - flying throught the air with all the grace of an arthritic goose, while a bemused Eastern European looked on wondering why. There must have been countless other examples.

So come on you media types - let's have less of the patronising, mildly xenophobic finger pointing and address the matter honestly. There's nothing new in diving, but I suppose there's nothing new in hypocrisy either.

It's like goalkeepers. For years every commentator used to ridicule foreign goalies because they couldn't catch a high ball, like it was a genetic disability. Gordon Banks could never have been foreign!

As for divers, I've been watching them in the Scottish game for more than forty years and you're dead right about media hypocrisy.

The reaction to McGeady's cheating yesterday sums up the difference between us and them. When Lafferty went down like a sack of spuds against Aberdeen we were to a man completely embarrassed by it and unanimously condemned Lafferty for his actions. If last night's fan phone-ins and comments from players (Caldwell & Samaras) and pundits (Murdo MacLeod) are anything to go by then the bheasts are going to fight to the last to keep this one swept under the carpet.

They are not normal people.

Comparing the Lafferty incident to the McGeady one from yesterday is unusual. I'm not condoning what McGeady did but for me, the Lafferty incident was as bad, if not worse than the Rivaldo incident at the 2002 WC in Germany when he went down holding his head after a Turkish player looked at him.

McGeady should be charged for diving and banned just like Lafferty and Eduardo.

The scale of the media coverage is incredible. The talking point for the whole season is now set. It's here to stay for the season.

I don't know if anyone saw Mowbray on ESPN after the game. He was invited to look at the TV evidence and his response? "I don't need to, it was right in front of me." Reminded me of Lord Nelson: "Ships? I see no ships" said he, turning his blind eye to the telescope.

Fair play to Craig Burley though - he virtually called McGreedy a cheat, despite his C****c affiliations. Whereas Colin Hendry said "I wouldn't go as far as to say cheat." Well I would, Colin. And as for Killen - he could enter the Olympics, and I'm not talking football here.

I don't know if anyone saw Mowbray on ESPN after the game. He was invited to look at the TV evidence and his response? "I don't need to, it was right in front of me." Reminded me of Lord Nelson: "Ships? I see no ships" said he, turning his blind eye to the telescope.

Fair play to Craig Burley though - he virtually called McGreedy a cheat, despite his C****c affiliations. Whereas Colin Hendry said "I wouldn't go as far as to say cheat." Well I would, Colin. And as for Killen - he could enter the Olympics, and I'm not talking football here.

Did Hendry not say something like "it was a dive, but I wouldn't call him a cheat"? So he admitted it was a dive, and diving is cheating, but he's not a cheat? I'm confused. Much as I admired Hendry as a player, that is terrible punditry.

McGeady was trying to get a penalty Lafferty was blatantly trying to get a man sent off. Lafferty's was worse in my eyes but McGeady should certainly get banned. I Guess McGeady thought he was in the same class as Eduardo. His poor attempt was possibly another sign he may just not be as good.

McGeady was trying to get a penalty Lafferty was blatantly trying to get a man sent off. Lafferty's was worse in my eyes but McGeady should certainly get banned. I Guess McGeady thought he was in the same class as Eduardo. His poor attempt was possibly another sign he may just not be as good.

A free kick Pete, not a penalty. :thup: