From the guy who first broke the Rothen story on FF last night:

Hi guys, thanks for some of the pm's I've had since last night.

I have always tried to pass on info on here as best I can, even if sometimes your patience can be stretched when people start having a go -suppose that is part and parcel.

Anyway, I thought I would post the latest info I got today now that the dust has settled on the transfer window.

Firstly, the bank

Our new bankers asked for debts to be reduced, as everyone is well aware, more or less at the turn of the year an the instant quick fix was to try and shift someone for hard cash - ir Boyd for �£3.5m to Birmingham, but that collapsed.

My understanding is that they then wanted between �£6m and �£8m from player sales and or wages before this window shut, to be taken in so that the overall day to say running costs are down.

Ferguson - brought in a huge �£2.5m in a combined fee and last year of his wages.

That - plus the other departures for money - Gow and Adam at 700k fee - and all the wages from Dailly, Hemdani, Smith, Webster, Velicka satisfied them on their target figures.

Basically, I have been told that the wage bill is down by around 100k a week, and that just under �£2m was raised in hard cash.

So, for that part, they are happy.

The bank, as I have said all along, had refused to sanction any new contracts until this was met.

Davie Weir, despite what people have not been understanding on here, was playing without a contract, but was getting his wages under a 'gentelman's agreement' with the club.

There was no press conference to announce he had signed an extension, in fact not even a confirmation on the club website - all down to the fact that this gentleman's agreement was in place and attention was not being drawn.

His contract has now been signed off.

Over the weekend, Rangers were told they could look at a loan signing, in the region of �£15k in wages after it became clear there would be extra revenue GUARANTEED from Celtic going out of Champs League, ie the full TV pot, and the UEFA starting fees being more than anticipated.

They looked at Martin Petrov, Royston Drenthe and other options in Europe.

But, even with the respective clubs weighing in part of the wages, these guys were out of reach.

Rothen wasn't, the wages in France a market Rangers have been able to compete in regularly, and that is why the deal was done.

To conclude, the bank got what they wanted this summer.

Wage bill and running costs down, whilst a big chunk of the incoming European money will go towards the overdraft.

Rangers wage bill is as low as it ever has been for years, with Mendes and Davis at 20k a week basic, and McGregor at 17k the only real high earners.

Going forward, the target of 20 pros plus kids has been hit, the debts are down.

Whilst everyone would have loved to have seen two or three signings made, the stark reality is that the money from CLGE has to go to the bank debts, and the full impact of this - and this summer - will be seen in next years accounts.

As always, I hope some of this helps.

Cheers lads.

Thanks for that SA.

From what he is saying, the bank are happy and so are Rangers. We've been able to reduce the wage bill and bring in a player on a loan deal.

Fingers crossed we can qualify for the last 16 of the CL and earn a wee bit more money that can go towards the debts.

I for one, am happy with the squad we have and think we can win the league with or without a new centre half but only if Boogie doesn't break a leg.

Overall good news I guess.

Reduced day to day running costs. Hardly, if at all, reduced quality of the first XI, though the squad is weaker in quantity and perhaps slightly in quality.

Have we got the balance between finances and on-field matters right? I hope so.

Should prob add I believe his source is Darryl King.

Edited by Super_Ally
Lazy English

Very interesting and encouraging read that. Two things that stood out - firstly we have the bheasts to thank for our new French acquisition. Secondly, I'm more convinced than ever after reading that that if the club wanted to punt another player for cash in the summer, it should have been McGregor.

Yep, at 17k a week Mcgregor is definitely expendable in my opinion, especially as we could command a fee for him.

I would rather we sold McGregor, banked some of the fee and used some of his salary to get a back-up for Alexander and use some more of his salary to offer Boyd a new contract.

If it is the case, as has been rumoured, that the club can't offer anyone new contracts due to finances, surely this recent cull should mean that the club can offer new contracts to players just so long as they are not going to be on improved terms ?

Given the state of the economy in general I would expect some of them to accept extended contracts but on the same, if not slightly worse, terms than they currently are on ?

Overall good news I guess.

Reduced day to day running costs. Hardly, if at all, reduced quality of the first XI, though the squad is weaker in quantity and perhaps slightly in quality.

Have we got the balance between finances and on-field matters right? I hope so.

Should prob add I believe his source is Darryl King.

IS he Darryl King?