'Setting The Standard' Project Moves Forward

http://www.gersnetonline.co.uk/newsite/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=821&Itemid=2

Over the last month, the 'Setting the Standard' Project has been moving forward with regard to realising some of the aims and recommendations within the report.

Firstly, via positive dialogue with the Rangers Supporters Assembly, the STS contributors obtained the chance to take part in a recent Q&A session at Ibrox Stadium to discuss the Assembly and to highlight important issues for the organisation to work on, and most took up this opportunity, which resulted in a positive discussion

Secondly, the Assembly has now submitted a summary response regarding the issues within the STS report and is in broad agreement with its findings.

Therefore, the STS report and contributors are to take a full part in further Assembly debates as well as exploring methods for extending the forum format to more supporters.

From these open debates, the Assembly will take forward the agreed issues both with regard to its own activities and its dialogue with the club.

It is important to reiterate that from all the above we want to bring together supporters from a wide range of backgrounds to stimulate debate in an open, constructive environment. This, in turn, will enable more effective and representative communication with the club itself.

STS_newsletter_advert.jpg

:)

Edited by Frankie

Few points:

1) Are you able to give any specifics of the Q&A session?

2) Who was in attendance? RSA reps, STS contributors. Anyone else?

3) "The assembly are in broad agreement". Are there any specific issues they do not agree with from STS or they do not feel are realistic to tackle?

4) Is there a timetable for future debate.

5) I understand from the final paragraph or two more than STS and RSA reps will be attending these debates?

A few general observations on this:

1. The Assembly are keen to involve as many supporters as possible within their organisation.

2. To that end, they are looking to improve their own operations including: raising their profile, improving communication methods and outreach to supporters (online and offline).

3. In addition, to this they are going to examine their own constitution to enable more fans (such as season ticket holders) to be properly represented.

4. From these improvements and the Forum format they will look to take supporters issues and investigate/act upon them as is necessary (such as the various recommendations in the STS report).

5. These agreed issues will also be used to form an agenda for future club/Assembly meetings.

Now, I don't think anyone can suggest all the above is suddenly a watershed in terms of supporters representation or that all our problems will be addressed and fixed in the short-term.

They won't.

However, what we do have from the Assembly is a clear commitment to improvement on their part. And what we have from STS is a positive coming together of most fan-sites interested in working together for the common good. That is good news.

Obviously we're missing is the club's input at this stage. I'm confident enough that will come through time and exploration of the tentative work above.

Finally, it is important that every supporter gets involved if they so wish. Further news on initiatives to achieve that will be available soon.

Few points:

1) Are you able to give any specifics of the Q&A session?

2) Who was in attendance? RSA reps, STS contributors. Anyone else?

3) "The assembly are in broad agreement". Are there any specific issues they do not agree with from STS or they do not feel are realistic to tackle?

4) Is there a timetable for future debate.

5) I understand from the final paragraph or two more than STS and RSA reps will be attending these debates?

1. This took place a couple of weeks back (the day after the Falkirk game) at Ibrox Stadium.

The Q&A was primarily about the Assembly's operations but a positive discussion was had about a few important supporters issues as well (such as the ongoing media problems, match-day experience and museum exploration).

The event certainly showed that supporters can come together and enjoy a couple of hours of constructive debate. I'll post below what the Assembly have committed to in the first instance.

2. I believe the Assembly invited random season ticket holders as well as other people they selected - such as Assembly committee reps. There were several STS contributors whom I invited which included every website previously interested in taking part in STS.

3. There are one or two things they are happy with the club's actions on (such as scouting) but generally they agree further dialogue is required on a range of issues. However, they want to try and refine some of the STS content so we are not just dependent on the club acting (which as we all know may not happen!).

4. Not as yet. I've suggested quarterly Fans Forums though where a few main issues can form the agenda - as well as AOCB. I'd like the format extended so anyone can attend also - if possible logistically.

5. We had around 15 people at the Q&A and I'd like to think a large portion of that would want to attend future events. But, I'd also like to ensure we don't 'hog' the Forum so that as many people as possible can attend and be heard - even if we may share the same ideas and issues.

Edited by Frankie

Out of interest, which sites are involved?

The following fanzines/sites/people were invited to the Q&A via their contribution to STS (in alphabetical order):

Do the Bouncy/Vital Football

GersForum

Gersnet

No1 Fanzine

RangersMedia

STS Report Contributors

Vanguard Bears

Follow Follow was invited to join the project previously and didn't reply. That is disappointing but their decision.

The following fanzines/sites/people were invited to the Q&A via their contribution to STS (in alphabetical order):

Do the Bouncy/Vital Football

GersForum

Gersnet

No1 Fanzine

RangersMedia

STS Report Contributors

Vanguard Bears

Follow Follow was invited to join the project previously and didn't reply. That is disappointing but their decision.

Nice one. No surprise about FF though.

MIght it be easier to at least get club dialogue now that Murray has removed himself from the day-to-day ?

Hard to say mate.

The appointment of Johnston will certainly be interesting in terms of supporters representation though. I've no idea if he values our opinion more (or less) than SDM and, even if he does, what leeway does he have in terms of acting upon what we bring to the table? And where does Bain fit in?

However, this should certainly be seen as an opportunity for a fresh start rather than the firming of any barriers...

Hard to say mate.

The appointment of Johnston will certainly be interesting in terms of supporters representation though. I've no idea if he values our opinion more (or less) than SDM and, even if he does, what leeway does he have in terms of acting upon what we bring to the table? And where does Bain fit in?

However, this should certainly be seen as an opportunity for a fresh start rather than the firming of any barriers...

I would hope that Johnston, being a Ger, would recognise that the support have plenty of people who have something to offer, the STS Project and presentation being the perfect example. It is work being done, FREE OF CHARGE, by people who care about the club. If the club sanctioned a study on any of this stuff it would cost a small fortune.

Re your last sentence it very much depends on the individuals. Unfortunately the Chairman often is only the figurehead of the board and given there has been no board shake-up but only Murray removing himself from day-to-day it remains to be seen what, if any, change in attitude we see. Fingers crossed though.