Have not seen this elsewhere and just came across it on their website.

The link is here: http://www.thebluenose.co.uk/news/assembly-news/recent-media-articles-20091007240/

The cut and paste job is here;

Recent Media Articles

News - Assembly News

Two recent media articles have caused much concern for Rangers fans. The first was an article by Michael Walker in the Daily Mail on 2 October and the second was an article by Graham Spiers in The Times on 5 October.

Colleagues in the Rangers Supporters Trust have liaised with the Assembly and the action taken is fully supported by the Assembly.

In the case of the Daily Mail, there has been direct communication with Michael Walker to the effect that he has been "sussed" and Rangers fans will look elsewhere for objective reporting. Walker has responded stating he made efforts to contact the Assemby (no record of any contact) as well as Ally McCoist, The Police Service of Northern Ireland, Strathclyde Police, Nil by Mouth and a Celtic Supporters Group but only had responses from Souness and Strathclyde Police. He stated he did not get the balance right in his article and "..should have made reference to the tiresome and offensive nature of some of Celtic fans' chanting..". He stated he would be in touch if he returned to the same subject.

Doesn't excuse the tone of his article but at least he conceded he did not get it right!

In the case of Spiers, given his previous record, the matter has been referred directly to the Club with a strong plea that "enough is enough" with this individual. There seems little to be gained by going public and crawling over old ground - there is clear evidence that this guy is out to damage us.

Whatever happened to the notion that these guys are there to report on the match?

The Assembly Committee will continue to try and improve media handling as we recognise how important it is to many fans. Our aim is to have a positive media relationship and promote the many good things that our fans can be proud of but we will work together with fans to tackle negative media where appropriate.

A fairly good release from the Assembly, taking further thier commitment at the recent fans forum that they would, where appropriate, defend the fans more from media attack.

Thoughts??

Due to the fact that they are wrapped up in the club they have to be careful about how they phrase any press releases, but I feel this is to be applauded.

Ps. Please just ban the cunt! He gets free access to Ibrox to slander (or is it libel) our fans and some of us can't even afford to go. :ffs:

Thoughts??

It'll be interesting to see what (if anything) actually comes from it. Other than that, my main concern is hoping that it doesn't end up in petty & ill thought out tit for tat antics with people writing articles & protests about who did what, who said this & that, who threw the first stone, who called who a racist or bigoted word (yawn) etc etc... which often not only appear blatantly biased in their own right, but also rather childish. It's just such a difficult situation to approach correctly & possibly most importantly in a dignified manner(?), that it's very easy to slip into giving yourself, websites, the organisation/s & the club itself a bad name. Something does need to be done to stick up for the club & fans, but it's how it's approached that's a concern & something that shouldn't necessarily be thrashed out on public websites either.

A fairly good release from the Assembly, taking further thier commitment at the recent fans forum that they would, where appropriate, defend the fans more from media attack.

Thoughts??

I agree. It's an interesting development - the Assembly backing the Trust up, and issuing as statement challenging a specific journalist as well as standing behind the raising of the Spiers issue directly with the club. No doubt those calling for closer collaboration amongst Rangers fans' groups will be along to express their approval.

I do feel the Spiers issue is something worth raising - everybody can see what he's up to now, if there was ever much doubt.

It'll be interesting to see what unfolds; from Walker, Rangers and Spiers.

If ever Alistair Johnston could find the perfect opportunity to garner unfettered support from the support then dealing with both of these cretins would be the ideal opportunity for him to gain it and, at the same time, showing he will be a different type of chairman than his predecessor.

I hope he does, but am not convinced.

If ever Alistair Johnston could find the perfect opportunity to garner unfettered support from the support then dealing with both of these cretins would be the ideal opportunity for him to gain it and, at the same time, showing he will be a different type of chairman than his predecessor.

I'd love to think differently but I don't think you'll never hear it.

All the evidence suggests that Rangers' view is that, whatever people think, the often-hostile media is just one of those things. They have not been prepared to do anything so far so unless there is a change of direction, the same will happen here; nothing.

AJ talked last week about the benefits of being a long-distance Chairman - stating that it enabled him to be free of the minutiae and think both tactically and strategically. That being so, it would be reasonable to assume that the media issue is one which won't tempt him from the sidelines. He may actually not have the relationships in Scotland to have much influence anyway, although I obviously can't qualify that.

So it'll probably be down to Martin Bain to handle again. ... zzzzz....

But, hey, you never know. :whistle: