Haven’t looked in here for a while as it seemed to grind to a screeching halt after my last post.

BTW Craig, I agree with SA that you seem to be doing a lot of exercises. I personally find it more beneficial to stick to fewer compound exercises with low reps and heavy weights. It seems to work and if nothing else means you can focus more easily and get the workout over and done without it seeming like an eternity.

I’m pretty frustrated at the moment and won’t be doing chin ups for a while - unless they are one handed… Not much chance of that!

I started cycling short distances last week, which is actually much easier than walking as there’s not much weight bearing on by bad leg. I’m hoping that will get my cardiovascular system going again as I’ve been doing very little for over four months.

I’ve slowly been putting on a bit of weight which is obviously not muscle and have gone from 11st 9 to 12st 2 – that’s where I was before my accident, but with a lot more muscle and a narrower waist.

Christmas eating hasn’t helped and I was starting to resent the pressure to eat crap all the time from other people who don’t watch what they eat. Surely we can celebrate while offering everyone some healthy food?

You can see why we’re a fat country when you look at most food on offer which is mostly brown carb-ridden stuff pumped with something fatty.

I’m back in control of my food and returned to a high protein, reduced carb regime and starting to feel better and less bloated already and my goal now is to try and hover around the 12st mark while gaining a bit of muscle. Hopefully the cycling will help my legs and I might start going to the gym soon and seeing what I can work with.

I’m seeing the fracture clinic tomorrow for x-rays and hopefully they’ll be able to tell me that I don’t need the crutches anymore – I’m really bored with them but needed them in December due to the cold. This week I don’t feel like I need them anymore.

I’ll be booking in with the physio soon and I’m sure he’ll want me in the pool.

So my aims are to start walking properly without crutches, increase my cycling and start doing some light weights while being careful with my diet to prevent fat gain.

As a new years resolution I've started to do some press-ups and sit-ups in the house. Not huge amounts just about 3 times a day before my breakfast, lunch and dinner. I'm doing 3 x 20 of each. Trying to get rid of my belly which is slowly expanding.

So, to all the gym experts, is that enough to get the belly away?

I'm finding motivation a huge problem though.

I would say slimming your belly is something like 70% diet, 30% exercise.

15 minutes of moderate exercise will burn about 115 calories. Not eating a Big Mac, fries and shake will cut out about 1150 calories... A Mars bar is about 280 calories.

By eating 100 calories more than you burn every day could make you 10lbs fatter every year.

The eating and burning calorie margins for being fat or slim can be less than 10%...