Barry Ferguson

Doesn't matter. You don't ignore your duties as captain whilst you struggle to live up to your individual duties as a player.

Perhaps not but the effectiveness of your ranting at fellow players is very much diluted if you are playing as pish as they are.

BF is playing pish, decides to rant at others who are also playing pish.... you reckon they will say "sorry captain, will try harder" or "fuck you, you are playing worse than I am".

I will give credit, BF had balls as he wasnt afraid to get into them - but he needed to look at his own performances as much, if not more so, than those around him.

Doesn't matter. You don't ignore your duties as captain whilst you struggle to live up to your individual duties as a player.

By your definition of it not mattering if he's atrocious on the park then, by that logic, if it's his leadership skills you want then we'd be aswell offering him the managers position.. see what I mean?

Aye, dont get me wrong.... the way Mendes has played for us since he signed I would prefer to have BF back. I would even take a straight swap if I am being honest.

But in BF's 2nd stint he didnt live up to the standards he expected of a Rangers player. But at least he WANTED to play that well even if he didnt achieve it very often. And at least he wouldnt accept less than 100% commitment from everyone around him.

Aye, dont get me wrong.... the way Mendes has played for us since he signed I would prefer to have BF back. I would even take a straight swap if I am being honest.

But in BF's 2nd stint he didnt live up to the standards he expected of a Rangers player. But at least he WANTED to play that well even if he didnt achieve it very often. And at least he wouldnt accept less than 100% commitment from everyone around him.

We need at least one big character on the field demanding the same from his team mates.

I agree S_A but I would prefer that the person demanding better is actually playing better themselves. BF was capable of it but in his 2nd stint very, very rarely showed it. That makes it difficult for that player to actually drag more from those around him.

Someone like Souness in his prime :thup:

I agree S_A but I would prefer that the person demanding better is actually playing better themselves. BF was capable of it but in his 2nd stint very, very rarely showed it. That makes it difficult for that player to actually drag more from those around him.

Someone like Souness in his prime :thup:

Aye, sorry, the last comment meant to move it away from Barry and on to the current crop.

Who could do it?

I have no bother in shouting at people at football. I don't mean slagging them, but telling people what to do when they're not. So men who are far better at the game than me should be more than capable of talking to each other.

There is not ONE leader in our ranks - and sadly we have been that way for a while. We badly miss a Souness, Butcher, Gough et al for not just their ability but for their desire to win and leadership strength.

There is not ONE leader in our ranks - and sadly we have been that way for a while. We badly miss a Souness, Butcher, Gough et al for not just their ability but for their desire to win and leadership strength.

You do get leaders who lead by doing. Through the quality of their performance alone it inspires team mates.

2 problems.

1) We don't have that captain. No offence Weir.

2) I think that only works in a team where the rest of the players are top quality themselves.

At lower levels you need a player who shouts, cajoles, threatens and bullies his team into action. I'm not saying you need to bully. You can put an arm round the shoulder and drag a team mate or team through the game. But the leading through your own performance doesn't work. A more hands on or interactive approach is needed when your team mates are not of the very top level imo.

Edited by Super_Ally