We Need A Settled XI

Anyone else think we're suffering from this?

Had a quick glance at our lineups this season and unless I'm missing something.. we've had 12 games so far this season and not once have we named the same starting XI up front.

Our goalkeeper and back 4 pretty much picks itself without injury or suspension creeping in.

It's from then on we get problems. We've got 3 decent central midfielders on their day in Mendes, Davis and Thomson, not including Edu when he returns.

As for the wide positions.. Naismith isn't a natural there, nor is Novo, but both have been played there. The position they are both naturals for is where the problem comes in for me.

We need to select any 2 (or 1..) from a pool of Miller, Boyd, Naismith, Lafferty (and people say our squad is too small..)

Our inability to select a strike partnership is a huge hinderance which no one is picking up on. For a while last season it looked like Boyd/Miller.. but now it's different every week. The constant change makes it nigh-on impossible for a partnership and understanding to grow and from the individuals standpoint takes away the chance to go on a run of 3-4 games of getting goals consistently, thus breeding confidence.

I think it's time to play 2 up top consistently, and for Walter to decide which is his best partnership and stick with it for 4-5 games and let the understanding grow.. if that happens, I think we'll see a huge benefit.

It's from then on we get problems. We've got 3 decent central midfielders on their day in Mendes, Davis and Thomson, not including Edu when he returns.

Which day is this? I only know Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday? :confused:

Seriously though, I think you make a good point.

Unfortunately neither of the 3 mentioned seem to be having many good days at the minute..

Had to laugh tonight. From my viewpoint.. our opener was a mediocre effort from Mendes which took a huge deflection which the keeper possibly should of done better than yet it brings around a chorus of 'Do Do Do Do.. Pedro Mendes' which is all well and good in the spirit of going ahead but from the individuals point of view, papering over cracks came to mind..

We need our team to play good football through the players playing to the best of their abilities. We need the best players for every position playing in that position whenever possible. We have major problems in defense that haven't been addressed. We're playing guys that aren't even defenders in defense? You're having a laugh! McCulloch should never have been allowed near the central defense at all. Weir has been brilliant in seasons gone by, but there's a time to retire - or be asked to retire. Bougherra & Papac are the only 2 players from our regular starters in defense that I'd entertain. Whittaker, if we keep him, can be a back up full back for either side & Weir can coach defenders.

I'm leaving it at the defense because I've got some food to eat here.

Agree with Beattie, we chop and change far too much, and its not just the players, its the system - or the lack of it. Thats just asking for inconsistancy.

The only things we are consistant with is chopping and changing and playing players out of position.

I agree.

I also think we need to play players in their actual positions and when players don't play well, replace and/or drop them from the team.

It's not rocket science yet in a game we lost 1-4 at home, we only made 2 subs. Explain that if you will.

I agree.

I also think we need to play players in their actual positions and when players don't play well, replace and/or drop them from the team.

It's not rocket science yet in a game we lost 1-4 at home, we only made 2 subs. Explain that if you will.

Nail on Head.

Rothen was woeful in the 1st half yet still appeared for the 2nd. We bought him to play wide left yet he turned up on the right. At this stage I think Charlie Adam would have offered more than Jerome. Whittaker, although poor, couldn't get forward because Rothen wasn't providing cover.

Mendes was crying out for the defence to move up for most of the first half becuase they were too detached from the midfield but this didn't change either.

Too many players lacked any urgency last night and we really should have kicked on after scoring a very fortunate opening goal. Playing a lone striker at home against the weakest team in the group (which we are now) was criminal.

The really disheartening thing is even when the likes of Edu return I don't see us getting any better as it will just give Walter more options for tinkering between Thomson, Mendes, Davis, Rothen and Edu.

Adam is twice the player Rothen is... Rothen wasn't getting a game at PSG as his legs had gone and his attitude with it. When he signed, I thought he could get away with that in the SPL but clearly this loan deal is a gamble that isn't working.

But he's not the only player not delivering and at least he has the (very slight) excuse of lack of sharpness and a new club.

What is Davis' excuse for hiding constantly this season? Kevin Thomson may have been injured but he has been nothing short of diabolical since he returned. Mendes went off last night but does little in most games. That's almost our whole midfield - no wonder we can't win games.

Last night we lost as a team and we're playing poorly as a team throughout the season so far. Nonetheless it is difficult not to start blaming individuals who are offering next to nothing - not just in terms of quality (which can be hard to find understandably sometimes) but in terms of commitment (which should be the one staple in our team - especially the midfield).