WALTER SMITH hints that Boyd could start against Stuttgart

Btw, am I the only one thinking that Boyd should be given a chance even if we're playing a 4-5-1 against Stuttgart? I honestly don't think that Miller is a better option because despite Millers attributes, Boyd offers things that Miller doesn't. I'd be perfectly happy to see Boyd given the chance ahead of Miller.

Btw, am I the only one thinking that Boyd should be given a chance even if we're playing a 4-5-1 against Stuttgart? I honestly don't think that Miller is a better option because despite Millers attributes, Boyd offers things that Miller doesn't. I'd be perfectly happy to see Boyd given the chance ahead of Miller.

Miller is the man who chases a dead cause putting pressure under the defenders trying to force mistakes. Also he's ideal for the quick break (as long as he keeps the ball).

Boyd in Europe i think will go back to his old ways, slightest touch in the back from a defender and he will be down on his arse.

As much as i want him to take any chance he gets.... i just don't think hes the man just yet!

I'd agree with that mate. But then I cherish actual, tangible skills and rewards on a football field more than "hard work". :whistle:

On current form it's debatable any of the other forwards could offer more than Boyd even in a 4-5-1.

Miller is the man who chases a dead cause putting pressure under the defenders trying to force mistakes. Also he's ideal for the quick break (as long as he keeps the ball).

Boyd in Europe i think will go back to his old ways, slightest touch in the back from a defender and he will be down on his arse.

As much as i want him to take any chance he gets.... i just don't think hes the man just yet!

Maybe I was watching a different game on Saturday but Miller was lazier than Boyd and chased very few lost causes.

I find it strange that Boyd can improve his play over the first half of the season, as he has done, and instead of "lets give him a chance because he has improved other parts of his game" we get "I think he wil go back to his old ways". Just what evidence is there that he will all of a sudden go back to his "old ways" ?

If we play with 1 up front then surely we need a goal threat. Kenny Miller is not much of a goal threat when playing with 1 OR 2 up top. Boyd is ALWAYS a goal threat.

How many has Miller bagged in Europe this season ? Genuine question.

How can Boyd prove whether he can perform at this level and in a 4-5-1 formation without being given a chance ?

Boyd for me, even if we play 4-5-1.

Boyd is not only our best goalscorer and the country's best goalscorer; he's also been our best forward in terms of his general play this season.

As such, there is absolutely no reason why he shouldn't play tonight if he's fully fit.

FWIW, I think he's a certainty to start.

Maybe I was watching a different game on Saturday but Miller was lazier than Boyd and chased very few lost causes.

I find it strange that Boyd can improve his play over the first half of the season, as he has done, and instead of "lets give him a chance because he has improved other parts of his game" we get "I think he wil go back to his old ways". Just what evidence is there that he will all of a sudden go back to his "old ways" ?

If we play with 1 up front then surely we need a goal threat. Kenny Miller is not much of a goal threat when playing with 1 OR 2 up top. Boyd is ALWAYS a goal threat.

How many has Miller bagged in Europe this season ? Genuine question.

How can Boyd prove whether he can perform at this level and in a 4-5-1 formation without being given a chance ?

Boyd for me, even if we play 4-5-1.

I would agree with that mate. Boyd did more than miller in every department on saturday hands down. A Boyd who can play like that every week is no doubt the first name on the sheet for ANY game.

The effort is there now from boydy and its showing!

When you had Cousin playing well and winning matches in Europe, dropping Boyd was an option.

When we're continually getting beat or drawing games we should be winning, then dropping Boyd for impotent attackers is not an option.

I don't see how Walter can claim it is a game where he has to think about playing him or not. It's a no-brainer. At least it should be.

I think that's the big difference from two season's ago. Cousin and Darcheville were much better bets up front than Boyd and we really miss them.

This year we don't really have an alternative - unless Miller is playing out of his skin, and how often does that happen?

Boyd was pish when he last played upfront himself. He's certainly improved over the last few weeks, with Saturday being the best he has played all season, but I still can't see him working a top European defence if he's playing on his own.

Hopefully if he is playing then it will be as part of a front 2, but that then gives problems for our midfield.