WALTER SMITH hints that Boyd could start against Stuttgart

There is going to have to come a point where we start to believe in Boyd , this will we wont we play him in big games does neither the club nor Boyd and favours , as it just gives our enemies ammunition to throw about whenever the subject of him playing comes up .

I believe in Boyd against crap opposition but he'd be completely useless tonight against Stuttgart unless he gets an easy chance or 2 laid on a plate in the box.

His all round play is shocking and he has no technique but he certainly can bury the chances against poor sides when its made easy for him

Boyd was pish when he last played upfront himself. He's certainly improved over the last few weeks, with Saturday being the best he has played all season, but I still can't see him working a top European defence if he's playing on his own.

Boyd hasn't been given the chance to play the lone striker position anywhere near enough times to make a judgment on whether he can or can't play there. You say Boyd was pish the last time he played there, but how many times has Miller played the lone striker role and been nothing short of completely gash? The answer is loads/a lot!

Who the fook is Cousin? :fish:

A very average player in the premiership who Boyd makes look like Henry. Our best striker by a mile who has shown himself at Hull to be a pretty average player. Tells us all you need to know about our squad and it's worse now too.

Boyd hasn't been given the chance to play the lone striker position anywhere near enough times to make a judgment on whether he can or can't play there. You say Boyd was pish the last time he played there, but how many times has Miller played the lone striker role and been nothing short of completely gash? The answer is loads/a lot!

That is complete nonsense. If you honestly think Boyd has the attributes to play on his own against a decent European side then you must be blind. Even against Celtic he's generally pish with someone next to him doing all the work.

McGregor

Whittaker

Weir

Wilson

Papac

Davis

McCulloch

Thomson

Lafferty

Miller

Boyd

From over there, apparently that's the team. Boyd right enough.. not holding my breath to see if this is true, mind.

Lafferty on the left wing would be a fcuking joke. He can't play there & there's at least 4 or 5 better options. Won't be pleased at all if Lafferty starts on the left. I'm speechless. How can you play your worst choice from half a dozen in a game like this? This better not be true or Walter will take another step down in my estimations.

The trouble is that argument is a bit like saying, someone hasn't played chicken enough times to see if they're any good at it...

We can't really risk important games by experimenting to try to confirm a negative result.

Most people would agree that Boyd doesn't have the characteristics to make a good lone front man; there's no logic in risking a load of results to try and see if he'll somehow acquire them and prove everyone wrong.

I've never seen Boyd play left wing either but I feel that I can make a judgement on his ability to play there. :fish:

He has shown no aptitude for any of the requirements for playing upfront on his own. Miller at least works the defence. The new improved Boyd that we saw on Saturday may suggest that he is learning these things but he has to show that he can do it against a defence that are better than the rank rotten showing by Killie. Hopefully the improvement will continue and we might see signs that he may be able to do it, but he is far more effective when playing alongside another striker.

Maybe I was watching a different game on Saturday but Miller was lazier than Boyd and chased very few lost causes.

I find it strange that Boyd can improve his play over the first half of the season, as he has done, and instead of "lets give him a chance because he has improved other parts of his game" we get "I think he wil go back to his old ways". Just what evidence is there that he will all of a sudden go back to his "old ways" ?

If we play with 1 up front then surely we need a goal threat. Kenny Miller is not much of a goal threat when playing with 1 OR 2 up top. Boyd is ALWAYS a goal threat.

How many has Miller bagged in Europe this season ? Genuine question.

How can Boyd prove whether he can perform at this level and in a 4-5-1 formation without being given a chance ?

Boyd for me, even if we play 4-5-1.

Ties in with what you were saying about McCulloch and fans perceptions of players on another thread.

Some fans will always say Miller has worked hard, Boyd was lazy and his touch was poor regardless of what actually happened in the game.