Standing areas are a non-starter. The polis will be dead against it.[/QUOTE]

Don't think there is any legal obstacle to us doing this, so how can the police stop it? in any case, we're only talking about a few thousand, perhaps not a whole stand a la Dortmund.

They'll stop it by refusing to grant a safety certificate. Whether they would actually do that or not I don't know.

They'll stop it by refusing to grant a safety certificate. Whether they would actually do that or not I don't know.

Ah! Still, whenever someone comes up with a good idea to do with Rangers, there's always someone else ready to shoot it down in flames. Call it the Jeremiah syndrome if you like, but I'm waiting for an injection of some positivity.:(

Ah! Still, whenever someone comes up with a good idea to do with Rangers, there's always someone else ready to shoot it down in flames. Call it the Jeremiah syndrome if you like, but I'm waiting for an injection of some positivity.:(

It's not pessimism. I'd love to see two things - standing at footy matches and an end to the deafening music they play. But we know there are reasons for these things and I've never yet in my lifetime seen the authorities give up any means of control once they had it. The police think they need to know who is sitting in every seat for identification purpose and they will never risk the thought of the free assembly of people at a public football match, which standing would allow. I think you'll find the police are the Jeremiahs here.

It's already been discussed a few times [as has alcohol sales within football grounds] at the Scottish Police Federation conferences. Shot down every time.

Their members are responsible for policing events and with the polis having only recently come under the umbrella of Health and Safety at Work legislation there's no way the Police Authorities will expose themselves to legal action if cops get hurt at a football match.

Believe me. It's a non-starter.

It's not pessimism. I'd love to see two things - standing at footy matches and an end to the deafening music they play. But we know there are reasons for these things and I've never yet in my lifetime seen the authorities give up any means of control once they had it. The police think they need to know who is sitting in every seat for identification purpose and they will never risk the thought of the free assembly of people at a public football match, which standing would allow. I think you'll find the police are the Jeremiahs here.

Wasn't calling you a Jeremiah actually, though it could have seemed that way. Just referring to the general malaise enveloping us right now. On the surveilance issue, the UK has the most spy cameras anywhere in Europe.

Wasn't calling you a Jeremiah actually, though it could have seemed that way. Just referring to the general malaise enveloping us right now. On the surveilance issue, the UK has the most spy cameras anywhere in Europe.

My mistake, sorry. You're right though, everywhere you look there is someone looking at you and deciding what you should or shouldn't do. My father's generation wouldn't have accepted this - mind you they wouldn't have done it either.

It's worth taking a minute to consider the mentality that has to have excessively loud music at football matches in case people communicate with each other. People from other countries think it's beyond belief when you tell them.

Edited by maineflyer

I posted this on a reply to that spanner , spanner , It was Duffy who contacted king and gave him the heads up on this proposal and that king could quote him on it , he would give no more details only saying more details would come out in the next few weeks , this was in the form of a phone call at approx 4 pm friday , now given that the deadline for the evening times and herald is 6.30 it didn't leave them much time to get the story written properly as the two papers had to be completly rejigged the final copy only going to Cambuslang at 7.30pm, I will know more next week but this is far from a done deal , what is certain is that Murray is playing no part in this anymore , he is totally perifferal

Mr. Duffy must be forgetting the SPL Membership Criteria which stipulates that standing areas of stadiums cannot be used in SPL matches. The Membership criteria for 2010/2011 was sent in a letter to all SPL and First Division clubs in August 2009 & the rule regarding standing areas is clearly stated in it :-

Clubs and prospective Candidate Clubs are reminded of the continuing requirements of Rules H6.2 to H6.5 (inclusive) which require:-

> non-seated areas of a ground may not be utilised in a Match in the Scottish Premier League;

Here is the pdf version of the letter sent to all clubs in August - SPL Membership Criteria 2010-11

So, the bottom line is that clubs are only required to have 6000 individually numbered seats under cover, but standing/non-seated areas are not allowed to be used for SPL matches. IMO, that rule is highly unlikely to be changed when the SPL are actively trying to make football more of an attraction to families.

Bummer.