Another interesting few thoughts on our manager for you to ponder from Andy....

http://www.gersnetonline.co.uk/2010/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=172:dr-jeykll-and-mr-smith&catid=1:articles&Itemid=67

Robert Louis Stevenson's short story of conflicted personality, "Jeykll and Hyde", continues to resonate in the Scottish soul well over a century since it was written. Just as his literary predecessor James Hogg observed in "Memoir of a Justified Sinner", the country and its' people are often faced with an unenviable position: making a choice when both choices are equally contentious. Be it over the rights of the established Church, over the desire to improve oneself or the desire to obliterate oneself in alcohol, the conflict (or lack of) between being Scottish or British, the pride in Scotland set against the despair felt when a ned gets on the bus: being Scottish has been and continues to be a whirlpool of contradictory currents, dragging one first this way then that.

And the Rangers fan can feel right at home in this tradition at present, as they watch their venerable and quasi-venerated manager Walter Smith preside over another season. The Glasgow club are two points behind rivals Celtic, but hold a game in hand over their smaller city neighbours, having lost their first league game of the season recently, the final team in the UK to lose a domestic unbeaten record. And yet, and yet...happiness is easy, sang 'Talk Talk', but the Rangers fan would no doubt disagree.

Poor performances, low scoring, and a lack of exciting football combine to leave the supporter slumped in his bucket seat, chin on chest, hands in pocket, curse on lips. The appalling weather which has seen an entire winter's amount of rain dumped upon Britain in two weeks of November seems a perfect metaphor for how the Ibrox faithful are feeling. Gloomy, damp, and with no sign of spring on the horizon.

Smith has come in for his share of criticism over this. Some over the top, some more constructive. But the interesting point for me is, how do I criticise a man who has led my team to title after title, Cup and Cup? It's easy to say the past is the past, football is a results business and a great record won't get you a single point this season. All true. But loyalty has to count for something! And, after all, this is the same manager who dragged the team kicking and screaming over the winning line only last May. Rangers didn't win the league due to superior players in season 08-09, and Smith must take great credit for instilling the belief that they needed to clinch the title. Add to that the praise he regularly receives from those within the game, and you see the problem:

We appear to have an experienced, respected coach, who is serving up dross.

I can't join in the chorus of disapproval. Loyalty to the man in the hotseat is a given from me, be he Paul Le Guen or even Berti Vogts. And mention of the last name should show that automatic loyalty is not always a good thing! I can appreciate that, even as I staunchly support Walter Smith on messageboards and in conversation. But overall, taking the lack of an alternative who knows the ropes, the financial situation at the club just now, and the history that Walter and I share (romantic and fanciful perhaps, but I feel a bond - Smith came into Rangers when I was 16, I'm now 39; he's been a part of my entire adult life!) Walter Smith will continue to have at least this bear's support.

On that point at least, I am not divided.

I doubt there are many Rangers fans who have a genuine bone to pick with Smith - he's a boss who commands a great deal of respect, even from that midden across the city.

The problem appears to be nothing more than his era coming to an end. 9IAR was a fantastic time and he worked miracles, domestically at least. And since returning, we peaked between seasons 07/08 and last season. Now we're declining thanks to many causes, Smith being one of them.

The team is poor, his team, the team he spent a fortune on - his tactics, chosen by him, are poor. The quality of football is scandalous at times, and he resembles a boss who is now merely steering the ship through icebergs rather than aiming for a destination.

Walter Smith is not the only thing going wrong at Ibrox, but he is one of them.

Sums it up well for me Danny.

Also, Andy's point about there arguably not being a better manager in charge while we undergo all this upheaval is a valid one which I agree with.

He is a steadying rudder, without doubt. If anyone thinks the manager during a time like this isn't that crucial, look at Liverpool and their troubles - I doubt too many of them feel safe with Benitez steering their ship.

Walter is steady and reliable, but, yet, even he has looked beleaguered in recent times - lacking his normal dignity and cracking a little under the pressure at times.

He is only human, but in terms of getting through this spell of difficulty, we could have worse.

Walter is steady and reliable, but, yet, even he has looked beleaguered in recent times - lacking his normal dignity and cracking a little under the pressure at times.

Those embarrassing home defeats in the CL absolutely devastated him & it was plain to see, but he'll be fine as long as he can somehow get this team back on track & into winning ways in the SPL.