I fear every goal I score will be my last

HE lifted his shirt and showed off his torso.

But what was hidden deep inside was that Kris Boyd's stomach was churning.

The Rangers No 9 had just netted against Falkirk to notch yet another remarkable career landmark - 150 goals in the SPL.

But the magnificent feeling of personal achievement was quickly swept aside... by FEAR.

Boyd is at the club of his dreams, but with January looming large the living nightmare for him is now fast approaching.

Rangers did their best to sell their prized asset 12 months ago and the hitman is wary that the same thing could happen again.

Which is why the country's most prolific striker can't help celebrate every Gers goal without thinking it could be his LAST.

Boyd, who went on to make it 151 against Bairns, said: "I don't think I can look too far ahead at this precise moment.

"Right now I'm proud to pull on that jersey and run out for Rangers. It means everything to me.

"But looking ahead long-term is something I simply can't do.

"I do wonder whenever I score if that'll be my last Rangers goal.

"I hope it's not the case and I believe I have plenty more Rangers goals in me. But that's the reality.

"The January transfer window is fast approaching. I aim to add to my tally but I take every game one at a time these days. The club tried to sell me once, so who is to say it won't happen again?

"You never know what's around the corner. It's the same for everyone at the club. From the manager down, nobody knows what's happening behind the scenes.

"It's actually something which makes me really appreciate getting to 150 league goals in the SPL. It's a good achievement for me."

Boyd shrugs off defenders easily, but his critics are harder to get rid of. Despite those 151 SPL goals, he still divides opinion like few other players in the country.

The accusation is that he can't hack it against bigger and better teams at home and in Europe.

The missed chance against Stuttgart in the last Champions League defeat gave them ammunition.

But Boyd added: "To be brutally honest I feel I was written off even before I was given a chance.

"Everyone seemed to have an opinion about me. It's like when people say I can't perform in the big games. Why can't I?

Advertisement

"Sure, I've missed chances when we've played in Europe and against Celtic, but for me that proves nothing.

"If I was walking off these games without getting those chances, I'd be worried.

"But it's basically been bad finishing that's stopped the goals coming in the bigger games. I know I can score goals at any level, it's not a problem for me.

"Stuttgart, Seville, Celtic - I've had chances against them all. Going right back to the beginning, I missed one against Villarreal.

"I might have missed when it's mattered, but I can handle that. Getting the opportunities proves to me I can handle it at that level.

"On another night I could have scored twice against Stuttgart. I just don't think of the missed chances, I think of the chances I get on the end of."

There is no doubt Boyd has improved his all-round game in recent months. His hold-up play is ten times better, with the striker now not just satisfied when he's scoring goals.

He added: "Since I've come here my scoring record has been good. I've had my ups and downs like everyone else, but I feel that I've started to find some decent form.

"I'm enjoying my football and really feel as though I'm helping the team out a lot more.

"I believe I've grown up a lot in the last few months.

"Maybe there was a time when I felt goals were enough, but that's not the way it is. The most important thing is the team winning and being a team player.

"Maybe completing my coaching badges helped me in that regard.

"Maybe I've got away with it in the past because I've scored the amount of goals I have - but I really don't think some of the criticism has been fair.

"The way football is in this country there are so many people out there with an opinion looking to make a name for themselves.

"When it comes from ex-players it's disappointing.

"One person says I can't play up front on my own, for instance, and then another person jumps on that. All of a sudden it's public opinion.

"That's the way Scotland is these days. People write you off before you're given a proper chance.

"The fact is I've never doubted I could handle playing at the highest level - it was just about working harder to show that."

Boyd's 17th minute strike against Falkirk, his 150th in the SPL, seems a long time since he netted his first for Kilmarnock back in November 2001 against Motherwell. He added: "Getting that first goal was a big thing for me.

"I'm sure Alan Mahood played a ball down the line and someone cut it back for me to score.

"There is nothing better than walking off the park having helped the team win by scoring a goal or two.

"It's no different from the way the fans feel. Whenever I score at Ibrox I look up and know I've made 50,000 feel happy. That's a great thing to be able to do."

Now Boyd's next target is Henrik Larsson's record 158 SPL goals.

He added: "I want to be the top goalscorer in the SPL. I want to beat Larsson's record.

"He was a tremendous player, a talent everyone admired. There's no doubt he was one of the greatest ever to play in Scotland.

"If I could beat his tally, it'd be something special for me."

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/2760431/I-fear-every-goal-I-score-will-be-my-last.html

Starting at the end of December he can go sign for any club that wants him, that is the scary thought !!

yeh but that only for next season. if someone wants him now they have to pay some compensation.