"Wonderkid" slips through the net.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1234021/Liverpool-boss-Rafa-Benitez-set-tie-deal-Icelandic-starlet-Kristjan-Gauti-Emilsson.html

So he was apparently on trial with us and we failed somehow to spot his potential. How come he's good enough for L'Pool and not us? Are our coaching staf really on the ball? I think we should be told.

I think you are being unfair Alex.

If you simply take the article at face value it doesnt say we didnt spot his potential at all. This kid likely was on back to back trials with us, Man U and Liverpool and the reality seems that as soon as Liverpool showed interest that was his preferred destination.

Even if we did offer a contract it is likely he would go to Liverpool to gauge interest prior to signing on the dotted line.

If anything.... I would actually argue it suggests that we did a GOOD job by noticing his talent alongside clubs of such stature - the sad reality is that we are, as Andy says, a backwater league where it is increasingly difficult to convince ambitious youngsters to come to our club.

Could be similar to Kenwynne Jones, who was on trial under McLeish but frankly didn't fancy playing in a backwater.

i'm sure he was also playing as a defender when he was on trial with us so maybe that didn't help him?

he is a natural striker then played as centre back for T&T then back to striker in the EPL..........

just because some players make it elsewhere doesn't mean our coaches are bad........

I think you are being unfair Alex.

If you simply take the article at face value it doesnt say we didnt spot his potential at all. This kid likely was on back to back trials with us, Man U and Liverpool and the reality seems that as soon as Liverpool showed interest that was his preferred destination.

Even if we did offer a contract it is likely he would go to Liverpool to gauge interest prior to signing on the dotted line.

If anything.... I would actually argue it suggests that we did a GOOD job by noticing his talent alongside clubs of such stature - the sad reality is that we are, as Andy says, a backwater league where it is increasingly difficult to convince ambitious youngsters to come to our club.

If that is the perception, then you wonder why they come here on trial in the first place? And we should be persuading them that they have a fantastic shop window here; that they would have a better chance of first team football with us (see D. Wilson) than the multi-million pound spending big four?

I'm happy that we had the lad along but we're always going to struggle to persuade genuine stars (young or old) to play for us ahead of the bigger teams in other leagues.

The uncertainty surrounding the club (and its manager) won't help any potential transfer either.

i'm sure he was also playing as a defender when he was on trial with us so maybe that didn't help him?

he is a natural striker then played as centre back for T&T then back to striker in the EPL..........

just because some players make it elsewhere doesn't mean our coaches are bad........

WS would've snapped Jones up if that was the case. :D

If that is the perception, then you wonder why they come here on trial in the first place? And we should be persuading them that they have a fantastic shop window here; that they would have a better chance of first team football with us (see D. Wilson) than the multi-million pound spending big four?

In case they dont get the contract offer from the EPL club ?