News & Reports on Rangers Youth Teams

Pretty poor stuff yesterday, I did give “chilledbear” a bit of advanced warning that it could happen. This is a Dundee United side that have lost 5-0, 4-0, 3-0 & 5-2 to Celtic, Aberdeen, Hibs & St.Mirren respectively.

I have followed youth football for long enough to realise that results to a certain extent don’t matter, but if you are consistently not winning games it is obvious the raw materials are unlikely to there.

When Jimmy Sinclair arrived there was an U13’s &U14’s squad just like there is today. These squads should have been the basis of yesterday’s team, only THREE of the starting 11 were at the club then. What happened to the development of these squads ?

He brought in four players released from EPL squads over the summer, at significant expense I’m sure. Yet only ONE of them was deemed good enough to start yesterday, none of them has shown to be better then players he released and now playing at other Scottish clubs.

A significant amount was spent bringing in players for U15’s who lost to Hearts yesterday (2-1), that makes it at least four losses already this season, Killie (3-0), Hibs (3-1) & Celtic (7-0).

The HOY at one of the clubs we recruited from told me when he heard Rangers were interested in a player from their side “I had six guesses before I got the right one”. This is the squad that should be the basis of the youth team in 3/4 years.

Only one player who has arrived at the club under his tenure has appeared in the first team, Kane Hemmings. Quite a few he “bought” have since left and look for a few more "purchases" leaving in January. The question is, could there be “other” departures before them ?

It is obvious something isn’t working.

Edited by elfideldo

Surely Sinclair isn't the one who determines what money the youth system has to spend bringing players in though elfideldo?

Sounds like the new lad Jamie Burrows is doing quite well.

The youth department has a budget, he is head of youth, he decides how that budget is spent.

Jamie has impressed when I have seen him, he was physically too strong for the Clyde defenders tonight. 2nd goal was special, great touch and turn, power to hold off the defender and a cool finish.