News & Reports on Rangers Youth Teams

I see that the brothers are just on the bench. I presume that they aren't showing much?

They have been average at best, and on a significant wage for youth players, plus a house I believe. The other two imports from the EPL, Jack Werndley and Nicolaj Kohlert have gone.

Now going with younger players, four U17's played yesterday ( Stuart Urquhart, Darren Ramsay, Fraser Aird and Jamie Burrows, Luca Gaparrotto has also played but is injured). I said we should have done this from the start of the season.

Its imperative we keep the youths intact especially the U17's and the very young age groups, If not we will lose them to other clubs and will have to start from scratch someday.

I read somewhere else Jamie Burrows looked the part.

Jamie has done really well and has recently broke into the U19's, scoring in their last two games. Last night's game was a game of few chances so not much opportunity for strikers to shine. A great run along the byline from Jamie led to the penalty.

Despite the first impressions given to him by the club being not very professional ( he was asked to stay for a further week's trial as "Head of Youth" was still on holiday") he evetually signed and has looked the part and made great progress.

Now I don't know what is worse, the fact that the head of youth was still on holiday or that there was nobody else deemed competent enough to make a decision in his absence.

Jamie has done really well and has recently broke into the U19's, scoring in their last two games. Last night's game was a game of few chances so not much opportunity for strikers to shine. A great run along the byline from Jamie led to the penalty.

Despite the first impressions given to him by the club being not very professional ( he was asked to stay for a further week's trial as "Head of Youth" was still on holiday") he evetually signed and has looked the part and made great progress.

Now I don't know what is worse, the fact that the head of youth was still on holiday or that there was nobody else deemed competent enough to make a decision in his absence.

Looks like we are going to need these guys sooner rather than later mate. I don't get to see much of the youths if any in your opinion are there any that are ready to be chucked in the deep end?

Looks like we are going to need these guys sooner rather than later mate. I don't get to see much of the youths if any in your opinion are there any that are ready to be chucked in the deep end?

At the moment none from the current youths, a few good prospects but they are not at this stage ready to play for the first team in the SPL. The only current U19 that a thought could be called in an emergency is Kamil Wiktorski, but I have heard he has been told he is not getting another contract when his current one expires in the summer.

Perhaps I'm completely wrong here.

It seems to me that other teams in SPL, EPL and other countries, are able to bring in young lads, at 17/18 years of age.

Yet ours are never deemed good enough, and are 'not ready' at this age.

We can all remember those in the past, Henderson, DJ, Ferguson etc. Is there something lacking in the way we educate them football wise at Auchenhowie?

I don't expect you to give an answer, really just an observation.

We're all looking at the youth team as a source of hope for the immediate future so I'm sure this thread will see plenty of interest now. It's disappointing to read that there aren't any real prospects for the first team but I'm sure there is some talent in the U19's and U17's that we'll hear about over the coming weeks and months. I have my doubts about whether the current management team will be brave enough to blood some of these kids but they might not have much of a choice in the matter.

Not many 17/18 year olds play regularly in the SPL, can only think of Fraser Fyvie at the moment, he is an exception which you get now and again. The fact is at the moment our 17/18 year olds are nowhere near that standard, but as I said that is an exception. It is generally a year or two later before players get established.

We have a better standard at 15/16 year old and hopefully a few of this will progress. I don't think its a coincidence that DJ, Durrant and Derek Ferguson broke through when the club was going through a lean spell.