News & Reports on Rangers Youth Teams

Seven Rangers youth players have been called up to the Scotland U19s squad as Rangers boast the most members of the latest squad.

Defenders Jordan Houston, Matthew Shiels and Lewis Mayo make the team alongside youth prospect Stephen Kelly in midfield. Rangers youth players also add firepower up front with a further three included from positions in the final third.

Adedapo Mebude, Glenn Middleton and Zak Rudden complete the Rangers party who’ll travel with the squad. The squad journey to Wales for the UEFA Under-19 European Championship Qualifying round.

https://www.rangersnews.uk/news/seven-rangers-youth-players-called-up-for-scotland-u19s/

On 03/11/2018 at 22:08, craig said:

Couple of good results for the young Bears today.

Both the U15’s (3-1) and U13’s (5-2) beat their Celtic counterparts.  Not sure of the others

Didn't get to any of these games. I believe the U14's also won 3-1. The U16's game was cancelled.

2 hours ago, elfideldo said:

Didn't get to any of these games. I believe the U14's also won 3-1. The U16's game was cancelled.

Thanks elfideldo.

No doubt Celtic will be having a "crisis meeting" this week.....

And people like Alex Rae will probably still be lamenting the lack of youths that step up to the first team....

I know not everyone finds Mulholland to be their cup of tea - but those youth results are very encouraging.

Do you know if Mackenzie Carse played for Celtic in that U15 game against his former team-mates ?

4 minutes ago, craig said:

Thanks elfideldo.

No doubt Celtic will be having a "crisis meeting" this week.....

And people like Alex Rae will probably still be lamenting the lack of youths that step up to the first team....

I know not everyone finds Mulholland to be their cup of tea - but those youth results are very encouraging.

Do you know if Mackenzie Carse played for Celtic in that U15 game against his former team-mates ?

Saturday's game clashed with the first team game and I was at another game yesterday morning ( I was asked not to report on that game). So didn't get to any of these CAS fixtures.

Early days but I think the setup is a big improvement, havent seen any talented players released because of their size (interesting piece in Sunday Times about Greg Taylor). Players that are brought in is for their football ability and not because they are "athletes".

U15's game is very interesting and would like to know the  lineups, I believe this is the first time this group has beaten Celtic over a 90 minute game (They did beat them in short game at the Youdan tournament a couple of years ago).

Celtic have four U15's that regularly play up at 16's, three of whom are Rangers fans but when it came to a choice chose them, Mackenzie Carse isn't one of them. Three of the four are in Scotland's Victory Shield squad. It would be interesting to find out if they played on Saturday. I know Rangers fielded three players from Northern Ireland, they could also have played Leon King, but I don't think they would have.

Mackenzie Carse was trying to get out of Celtic not that long ago, Rangers opted not to take him back (pretty sure it wasn't down to his ability).  I would assume he was playing on Saturday.

Celtic requested four overage players in the U16's game, Rangers agreed to two, Celtic said they couldn't field a team.

I know the story on Mackenzie elfi and it definitely wasn't down to ability.  Yeah, I doubt Leon played in that age group as he seems to be consistently playing up now.

Thanks for the info, it also puts an interesting slant on things if Celtic were playing boys up and we weren't - the ones I know that we play up in that age group are Leon and Dire Mebude - not sure if Dire played 15's or 16's at the weekend.

Strange that Celtic couldn't field a 16's unless they used overage players.... sounds sinister to me in all honesty.

I personally like what Craig Mulholland is doing with the Academy structure - I believe the Boclair Academy partnership was one of his brainchilds and it seems to be working too.  I also know that he has far more interest in technical rather than athletic players, though both would be great :D

I also like the coaching that we have at the club now too - even though we have a number of ex-players there, they all have their coaching badges and, in most cases, A licenses.  Those players knew just how hard it was to play for Rangers so hopefully they will be able to instill a determination, work-rate and desire to succeed into the players.