News & Reports on Rangers Youth Teams

• 2 weeks later...

Espling is a strange one, he only ever played in Friendlies and usually against poor quality opposition. He always seemed to score but did little else. Disappeared off the radar and wasn't sure if he was injured or just out of favour. No great loss in my opinion.

Nicolaj Kohlert has also left, having see his games when he he was up on trial I was surprised we took him on from Liverpool. I said all this was doing was taking up a place that could see a younger player progress (Darren Ramsay for example). This was probably costing more in wages than most youth players so not surprised to see him go but shocked we took him on in the first place.

Norwegian twins have been no better than average and are on decent money plus the rental of a house I believe, they signed two year contracts so we are stuck with them for another year. I don't believe they would have got a second year on this season's displays.

One or two other we have "bought" have been told they can leave, I know producing players is not an exact science but I would expect any player we paid out a fee on would at least progress to the youth team. Fees were spent on Espling, Darren McGill and George Scott and none of them made it to the U19's, and a couple of others are set to follow. I think we have the right to expect Mr Sinclair to use his budget better, or bring in someone who will.

Elfideldo, are there any cracking goal scorers you'd say we could promote to the first team in an emergency?

The short answer is NO.

19's have been poor this season, main striker is Callum Gallagher who still has another year at U19's. A real hard working player, nothing is a lost cause and can never be faulted for effort, not a prolific goalscorer. The fact is, he was told he was being released last season, came on as a sub in Glasgow Cup Final and Sinclair changed his mind and gave him another year. That probably tells you more about Sinclair than it does about Callum, I would expect him to get a contract for next season but with Sinclair nothing would surprise me.

Support striker is Barrie McKay, who is proably more suited playing wide than as a main striker. He was released by Kilmarnock after something showed up in his medical when he was about to go pro. Rangers gave him a six month contract at the start of this season, he has subsequently been given a futher 18 months. Like Callum he has another year at 19's, I have been impressed with Barrie, skilful and can take players on, but nowhere near ready for 1st team and as I said not really a striker.

The others are under 17's players.

So Kane Hemmings (I like Kane but he has had 4 knee operations in a year), and Andy Little (who is supposed to be a defender these days) is it. Rhys McCabe played as an emergency striker for the youths in the past but is a midfielder.

• 2 weeks later...