KRIS BOYD walked. Others hid.

Shattered by George Burley's sickening snubs Boyd had sunk to an all-time low.

Deeply hurt, bitterly frustrated and seething with anger the Rangers No9 took the bombshell decision he knew could haunt him for the rest of his career.

A player who grew up dreaming of being Scotland's striker turned his back on his country with a heavy heart.

Now 14 months after entering his own personal international exile Boyd wants to come back into the fold.

Today in an exclusive interview with SunSport the Ibrox goal machine has revealed the Scotland squad was riddled with players who wanted to follow him out the door.

Truth is they didn't have the bottle.

Boyd said: "I made my decision and that was my choice.

"Yet there are players who pulled out of squads with injuries when the fact is they just didn't want to be there.

"Why not be a man about it and give the real reasons?

"I have taken the flak, but there are others who have hidden behind things and got away with it.

"I took the blame and had to handle it. That was my choice to make.

"But in that last campaign I wasn't the only player who wanted to do what I did.

"There were a whole load in there who felt the same way. Guys unhappy with the way things were going - that's certainly how I took it.

"That's every player's own problem. For me it was time to get out.

"I just know there were another five or six players wanting to do the same thing as me.

"I'm even talking about boys who were playing.

"It wasn't a happy environment but I was the only one who took the decision."

Boyd now wants back.

And new boss Craig Levein looks destined to grant him his wish when he names his first squad for the friendly clash with the Czech Republic in March.

His inclusion will bring an end to those long months of anguish for the prolific 26-year-old hitman who felt he had to quit Scotland to save his career.

Boyd added: "At the time when I made the decision I felt I was going nowhere.

"There was no fall-out with George Burley.

Advertisement

"I just reached the stage where I felt I needed to get back to basics because of the way things were going.

"I wasn't playing at club level and I definitely wasn't playing at international level.

"Something had to give. It was a tough decision to make. But from a selfish point of view it was one I had to make. I was going away with Scotland for 10 days at a time as the fifth choice striker.

"For me there wasn't much point in that. A Scotland fan could have sat on the bench and been as much use as I was.

"I was just making up the numbers in training or on the bench.

"That was killing me inside, but also not helping me when I was returning to Rangers.

"You don't do much training and virtually spend your time between games lying around the team hotel.

"That's no use to me. I'm not the type of player who can miss training and just turn it on when the match comes.

"I just can't do it. I was sitting on the bench for Scotland virtually rotting away.

"I was going back to Rangers feeling sluggish and there is no doubt not playing for Scotland was affecting my club career."

The final straw came when Boyd was left rooted to the bench for the crucial World Cup qualifier with Norway.

Chris Iwelumo was the man Burley turned to when we were in desperate need of a goal - with THAT miss entering football folklore within minutes.

Hours later Boyd quit Scotland in a late-night phone-call to SFA chief executive Gordon Smith.

It cut Boyd to the quick to do that and he said: "It's a privilege to play for your country. An honour.

"The times I've pulled on a Scotland shirt means the world to me.

"Those close to me know that.

"I know there will be people who will say I turned my back on the country by walking out.

"But I made the decision and I stand by it.

"It was doing no one any good me sitting on the bench.

"I needed to go back to basics and try and establish myself in the Rangers side.

"That's the only way I'd be able to move forward.

"But it was always my hope if I did that I'd be able to return to international football.

"I said that at the time when I quit. Now I feel better for it as a player and a person so there are no regrets. None.

"Maybe I could have handled it better, I accept that.

"There are people I should have maybe spoken to before contacting Gordon Smith and telling him I no longer wanted to be considered.

"But if I'd been talked out of it I would only have been delaying the inevitable.

"I could have said nothing and kept turning up but something had to give eventually.

"I couldn't keep going on the way things were.

"I reached the stage where I didn't think there was any point in turning up.

"The two games - against Northern Ireland and Norway - nailed that for me.

"We were in need of a goal in both games but he didn't turn to me. I was an unused sub twice and thought: 'If he doesn't pick me now he never will.'

"Burley didn't rate me. My reaction was maybe a selfish one but I stand by the choice I made."

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/2786538/A-bunch-of-players-were-desperate-to-walk-out-on-Burley.html

KRIS BOYD will never understand Bevvygate.

But it's not Barry Ferguson and Allan McGregor's late night drinking session which leaves him baffled.

Or their schoolyard V-sign antics which leaves him stunned.

It's the SFA's handling of the controversy which has him utterly SICKENED.

Boyd quit George Burley's set-up long before that Lock-in on the Loch scandal hit the headlines.

But he watched as his two close pals were hung out to dry.

Banned from international football, the pair's behaviour saw them cast into the football wilderness.

But Boyd insists the fact other players were allowed to survive following the behind-the-scenes misdemeanours is the biggest shame of all.

Boyd said: "Craig Levein said when he got the Scotland job he wants all his best players available.

"Without a shadow of a doubt Barry and Allan come into that category.

"When you look at what happened, they got punished when everyone knows there were other people involved. I can't understand why it was just those two who got punished.

"Was it a case that the manager just didn't want them in the squad, I don't know. But it's common knowledge they weren't the only ones involved that night.

"Listen, Barry and Allan know they were stupid with what they did sitting in the dug-out. But that came after they were the only two players told to go home.

"They've both said they let their families down with their actions but what else do people want? They haven't killed anybody. I think they should be allowed back in, without question."

Ferguson and McGregor were told by the SFA their international futures were over. Boyd told the SFA. His decision was his own with the striker seeing no reason to continue turning up to sit on the bench.

There was no fall-out. No raised voices or bust-up between two men who didn't see eye-to-eye.

Instead Boyd calmly took the decision to concentrate on his club career at Ibrox.

Advertisement

Quantcast

Now, 14 months on his game has improved beyond recognition. He's still scoring on a regular basis but his all-round game is better than ever before. That's why he now believes he's ready and able to do himself justice in a Scotland jersey.

It's not because of a change of manager.

In fact, Boyd insists he'd still be ready to return even if Burley was still in charge.

He added: "People ask if I was glad when he got sacked but I wasn't, no way.

"I wanted to get back into the Scotland set-up but I didn't sit watching the games hoping we were going to lose so he'd get sacked.

"That's just not me. The fact is if George Burley was still the manager I could have sat down with him now and spoke to him about sorting things out.

"I felt when the World Cup campaign ended it was maybe time to look at things again.

"It was hurting me not being involved and there was something inside me saying I wanted to get back playing for my country.

"I might not have been picked, or maybe the same thing would have happened again, but I just think I'm a better player now.

"I certainly didn't want him to be sacked. I'm sure he'll return to football soon and do well."

There will be some who insist there should be no way back for Ferguson, McGregor or Boyd.

The striker is ready to deal with that but hopes to win over his doubters the only way he knows how - by scoring goals.

He added: "I know there will be people who don't want me back. That's life. I just hope I can go back and get the chance to give it my best shot. I don't think anyone can say I didn't give my all whenever I played for Scotland.

"At the end of the day I was fifth-choice striker in a team which only played with one man up front. The people who don't think I made the right decision don't know what that's like.

"They weren't the ones leaving their families for ten days for nothing. They weren't the ones sitting on the bench know they weren't going to get on no matter what. They weren't the ones hurting inside.

"People are going to have a go at me - it's something I deal with all the time. But at that time I did what I felt was right.

"At the end of the day the Scotland fans give tremendous support to the team and they're entitled to their views.

"But they've been good to me in the past and I hope that they are again in the future."

Why is he bringing this to the press instead of talking to Craig Leveign. Sorry Kris you are a great goal scorer but off the field you are an Elephant in a porcelain shop.

How do you know he hasnt talked to levein? Hes also entitled to an opinion. Like ferguson and McGregor he was nailed to the wall by the self rightsiousness media and tartan army who had a field day with the three of them.

And he does raise a few questions about the boozegate affair. Who were the others involved? And why did the get away scot free? I can remember at the time than Celtic football club issuing a statement that Scot brown was Tee total and couldnt be involved only to see a picture of him at T in the park with a pint and a bottle of bicardi breezer in his hand. Time for the others to be found out i say.

Im satisfied with boyds reasons and would have done the same if i were in his shoes. Burley didnt rate a guy who had scored 1 in 2 games for his country and basicallt told the world so when he put on an untried player against norway ahead of him. That decision spoke volumes to me at the time.

Burley had plenty of pops at Boyd in the media afterwards and the big man did the right thing and kept his mouth shut.

Hes more than entitled to his opinion and the time is right to voice it.

IIRC Burley stated Boyd should concentrate on getting a regular game for Rangers,despite his scoring record both for Rangers & Scotland, before he could play regularly for Scotland,or words to that effect.So Boyd made the decision to concentrate on Rangers, which he did and has upped his game.

As for the Boozegate scenario the Rangers players were made the scape goats by the mhedia,TA,SFA as we all know the other players involved got off without so much as a warning, the whole thing was a shambles and exposed the SFA & Burley are all about. Let's be very clear on the fact that the majority of the moronic TA don't want any Rangers players in the Scotland team so good on Levein for saying he wants every player available for selection.

IMO Boyd did the right thing in stepping out of the Scotland squad and is quite right to make himself available for the new manager.

If Boyd or any of the others find their way back into the squad they'd better be prepared for a [very] large section of the Scotland fanbase giving them abuse.

They seem to have a real problem with Rangers players. :(

Correct mate, this has been the case for a long time now,boozgate just gave them the ammunition they were looking for to attack the Rangers players.

I've said it before and will stick by it,personally I would be happy if no Rangers players played for Scotland,it's done Boyd,BF & Greegs no harm.

I have no problem with the decision Boyd made, i can fully understand it. He should just stick to playing football and not be shouting his mouth off to the press. Fergie and shagger were not banned for boozegate they were banned for the v-sign. Explaining his decision to quit is okay but he should not get involved in things he had nothing to do with and he could only have heard the story from one side.

It is not his place to play advocate for Fergie and shagger they are big boys they can talk for themselves.

I have no problem with the decision Boyd made, i can fully understand it. He should just stick to playing football and not be shouting his mouth off to the press. Fergie and shagger were not banned for boozegate they were banned for the v-sign. Explaining his decision to quit is okay but he should not get involved in things he had nothing to do with and he could only have heard the story from one side.

It is not his place to play advocate for Fergie and shagger they are big boys they can talk for themselves.

Were they banned for the v-sign ? How do you know pete ? Or are you only taking that from one side of the story ? ;)

See, you know less than Boyd does about that situation yet you feel entitled to comment on it, yet by the same token you feel that Boyd shouldnt voice his opinion on it when he would have been much closer to the situation than any of us.

He would have been asked those questions and he is entitled to his opinion the same as the rest of us. It is very common knowledge that there were MORE players involved. All Boyd is saying is what MANY Gers fans are saying which is "why did the rest not also get punished" ? I think he is quite entitled to do so.

And as gisa said, you have no idea whether he has already spoken to Levein or not, yet you felt that you should comment on it despite not knowing. My point being, you dont think Boyd should talk about things which in your opinion he knows nothing about - yet you are doing the exact same thing.

He has been asked the question by the press and knew enough about the situation to comment. I see no harm in him doing so.

I remember at the Northern Ireland game, 0-0 one sub availible to make and he never came on. I was sickened that night, god knows how Boydy felt !

His decision possible won us the league last year and has made us 4 points clear this year. His overall play has improved, sky high in confidence and has got the best partner beside him. They are both Scottish, it only makes sense Craig !! Although i do rate Steven Fletcher & Iwelumo is always a handful.

Lets hope in March we will see Boyd pull on the new adidas Scotland Jersey, walk out at Hampden with his head held high and hopefully bang a goal in !

One thing i am dreading though, if/when Mcgregor & Ferguson come back, the boo's that could ring around Hampden. To be honest i don't think i could stay controled, i would lose it people around me if they boo'd !