Gersnet Analysis: A Surrender or a Victory?

Can't agree with that Calscot - Ibrox has hosted many an Orange Order and Church gatherings over the years. However, this is been diluted over the years as church membership has hit an all time low.

And I doubt the Kirk would want any connection with the singing and chanting at Ibrox these days.

Another culturial viewpoint is that Rangers did and to some degree still do have a Conservitive and Unionist heritage - this was backed up in the Rangers Monthly where historians found documents detailing the boards support of Conservitives and Unionists.

Considering that the board will be made up of wealthy people I'm not surprised they supported the conservative party. But then considering the working class background of most Rangers fans this support sounds like a bit of a betrayal. After the way the Tories shafted Scotland, I'd almost find it a sell out to our Scottish roots to support this party.

As for the signing policy this is also a myth started by our enemies. Rangers had many many Catholics playing for us over the years and in the very eraly years it was common for players to move from Craptic to Rangers and vice versa.

I know about this but it was before the two clubs adopted their strong religious stances. There was a very long period of time where we didn't sign a catholic but as we signed at least one Jew it can't have been anything to do with being a protestant only club.

Would you say Craptic had an Catholic heritage or any anti-protestant one? Until the 1990's Craptic had not one non-Catholic director and refused to promote Danny McGrain, Jock Stein etc due to their religion. In fact, one of the Lisbon Lions claimed that his nickname, when not playing to his best was simply Orange Bastard......

This is debatable but I don't think that they had any other religions on the board so your point falls down there.

However I don't see Celtic as a catholic club. I maybe see them as some icon for the chip on the shoulder of those Scots brought up us catholics even though most do not practice their faith.

It is fair to say that we once did have a Presbyterian heritage but would agree that this is no longer the case

I think that the evidence of the heritage suggests otherwise but agree it should not be the case today especially when most Rangers fans don't know the meaning of the word "Presbyterian" and think that Calvinism is an addiction to designer underwear, and that Martin Luther was a black civil rights activist...

Considering that the board will be made up of wealthy people I'm not surprised they supported the conservative party. But then considering the working class background of most Rangers fans this support sounds like a bit of a betrayal. After the way the Tories shafted Scotland, I'd almost find it a sell out to our Scottish roots to support this party.

Can't believe I read that - do you remember the reason why the Tories came to dominate British Politics in the late 70's early 80's? Do you remember the 3 day week, rubbish not being lifted from the streets, rats infesting our neighbourhoods, black-outs etc all brought about by the LABOUR party shafting the British and Scottish people.... Also, look back your history, it is not that long ago that the Tories were the popular party in Scotland who held the 'majority'.

You could also say that Labour 'sold out' the Scottish working class when they picked the IRA as bed-partners. It was Labour MP's who invited Gerry Adams to Glasgow and it was the Labour party who freed terrorist who had MURDERED Scottish soldiers under the Good Friday Agreement. It was also Labour who invited convicted terrorits into Downing Street, paid them expenses and gave them £100K for 'offices'.....

And I doubt the Kirk would want any connection with the singing and chanting at Ibrox these days.

Never said they would, just pointed out that there was a link between Rangers and the Church. As well as Church and OO conventions at Ibrox, the BB's used Ibrox on regular occassions.

I know about this but it was before the two clubs adopted their strong religious stances. There was a very long period of time where we didn't sign a catholic but as we signed at least one Jew it can't have been anything to do with being a protestant only club.

When in our history didn't we sign Catholics? If it was that long a period, you'll be able to tell me when this policy started and when it stopped. IIRC, John Spencer was signed before Bonny Ginzburg, our first Jewish player....

This is debatable but I don't think that they had any other religions on the board so your point falls down there.

What....????? Only having board members from the Catholic relgion isn't sectarian - then what is it? They decided that ONLY Catholics could become board members, if that ain't sectarian, I don't know whay is.

I think that the evidence of the heritage suggests otherwise.

How does it suggest otherwise? Rangers have records that the board took a Unionist viewpoint and Ibrox was regularly used by 'Presbyterian' groups.

Cammy F