I have to disagree Danny. If we sign him up on a new 2 or 3 year contract, I believe he'd be worth more than �£4m. Burnley paid �£3m for Steven Fletcher 6 months ago & Boyd is certainly worth considerably more than Fletcher in striker terms.

I have to say Fletcher's stats this season (9 goals in all competitions) are absolutely excellent for a young player in his debut season in the biggest league in the world for a 'relatively' struggling side.

What makes you so sure he's clearly inferior to Boyd and therefore worth less? This is not me dissing Boyd, but Fletcher is proving himself, while Boyd is yet to. Let's compare absolute apples with applies here.

So because Boyd isn't playing in the EPL he isn't proving himself? You must be yanking my chain! Lets just have a wee look at some facts regarding the Boyd vs Fletcher subject. ;) ...They both played for top six quality SPL clubs for a few years up until the start of this season when Fletcher moved south, so how well did they fair comparatively? This should be fun! During a full 5 season spell at Hibs from 2004 till 2009, Fletcher scored a total of 52 goals in 184 appearances in all competitions, which FWIW averages out at him scoring approx' 10 goals per season for Hibs in all comp's. For the sake of fairness (if it's possible to be fair here), over exactly the same five seasons playing in the exact same league with Kilmarnock & Rangers, Kris Boyd scored a total of 138 goals in 207 appearances, which averages out at him scoring more than 27 goals per season in all competitions while playing in the same league over the five seasons against the same level of opposition as Fletcher.

Now! (and this is important!), you'd have to be certifiable & heading for the loony bin if you somehow managed to break it down any further than those simple stats & come to the conclusion that Fletcher is remotely near the same standard of striker as Boyd. Even while playing for Kilmarnock, a poorer quality side than Hibs, Kris Boyd was a better striker than Steven Fletcher, scoring 36 goals in 55 appearances for Killie in the season & a half before coming to Glasgow & joining the best football team in Scotland.

Just because the club accepted under �£4m for Boyd a year ago, doesn't mean they'd do so again & FWIW, had the Brum deal been completed, I think most managers in the EPL would have considered Eck's purchase as somewhat of a bargain.
Can't agree there - it's conjecture and you know it. You have no idea how Boyd is viewed by Premiership managers, and as much as we Rangers fans rate him, the fact that he's only been linked to one EPL team who wanted him while they were a championship side suggests you're speaking innaccurately on their behalves.

I'm not speaking on their behalves at all though, since I DID say 'I think most managers in the EPL' !! Not trying to be overly pedantic, but you started it... ;)

I stick by that belief as well because I'm almost certain that the opinion is accurate & that most managers in the EPL would indeed have considered Eck's purchase as somewhat of a bargain had he landed Boyd for under �£4m a year ago. We'll never know though, so it's certainly conjecture, no arguments on that! :)

Zappa, nice analysis.

Glad you included the Killie stats there because those are the ones which I think are most relevant and pertinent because Killie and Hibs are of a similar standard and standing within the SPL.

And even though it is always difficult to compare the two as they were at differing clubs with differing styles and they are different players I think the goals to games ratio between the two if you just consider Killie and Hibs shows Boyd to be a far more prolific goalscorer.

As to who is the better player I think an argument COULD have been made for Fletcher but I think that recently that would be far closer given the obvious improvements in Boyd's overall contribution. He gets a bad rap for they way he USED to play and the lack of his contribution at that time. His contribution and play have been much improved in the last 12-18 months and whilst some do give him credit for that there are still some who cant accept the lad has greatly improved.

For me though the acid test is which player I would rather have at Rangers - and I dont care that Fletcher plays in the EPL now - I would take Boyd over Fletcher 10 times out of 10 !

The different figures for his wage will probably depend on whether they include potential bonuses. Boyd's goal bonuses will obviously add greatly to his wage considering the number he scores.

I think the guardian are quoting his basic wage while the Sun are speculating on his potential earnings including bonuses.