Time To Stand Up And Be Counted!

With the enforced absences of a number of key first picks; most notably Miller, Boyd, Bougherra and Mendes, it is time for some of Rangers less lauded players to make a telling contribution. Consistent performers like captain Davie Weir and Sasa Papac have helped Danny Wilson ease his way into the first team. When the more experienced players around you are performing well and talking you through games, it is easier for younger or more inexperienced players to make the transition into senior football. The occasional blip aside, this has been evidenced by the domestic form of the defence.

Unfortunately as we progress further up the field the players in midfield and attack are not softening the blow when first choice players are unavailable through injury or suspension. Steven Davis when played in his favoured central midfield role has commanded a place in midfield. Yet even in spite of crippling injuries and suspensions no other squad member is demanding a starting berth in midfield or attack.

With the vast number of unavailable players not be ably replaced by the support cast, it is inevitable that the more experienced players and more expensive imports who are bearing the brunt of the fans frustration. Sure, we are sitting handsomely at the top of the SPL, but performances since an exemplary December delivered by the weakened squad have been less than encouraging.

With the mud flying from out with and within the Rangers support it is inevitable that this article would lead to the main offender in most individuals eyes; Kyle Lafferty. The lanky forward is perhaps another signing unfortunate to suffer from an inflated transfer fee which he himself did not choose. �£4million is hardly an earth shattering sum in world football, but that does not take into account that Rangers have not made a signing (aside from Jerome Rothenâ��s ill-fated loan) for 18 months and 3 transfer windows. It is also a far greater some than many of the star performers in the current squad; Miller (�£2mil), Bougherra (�£2.5mil) and Davis (�£3mil). I will avoid the obvious comparison with the SPLâ��s greatest marksman as the financial markets were wildly different when Kris Boyd came to Rangers with only a short period remaining on his Kilmarnock contract.

New Scotland manager Craig Levein will be delighted by the form of Scotland�s most devastating strike pair. Whilst Miller (12 goals) sits in second in the goal scoring charts behind the prolific Boyd (19 goals), Kris (4 assists) is chasing hard behind Miller (6), McGeady (8) and Davis (9) as he has added a greater team ethic to his peerless goal scoring ability. With Boyd recovering from hernia surgery and Miller serving a ban, it is an unenviable task that awaits their replacements.

The impact of the reduced squad size at Ibrox will be no more keenly felt than this January. Lafferty, Novo and Fleck are the only fit strikers in the first team squad with utility player Andrew Little a potential pick for the upcoming fixtures. The two young Scots and the effervescent Spaniard will also be competing for the wide positions in midfield. Kyle Lafferty meanwhile is an almost certain starter upfront as the forward himself and his manager seeks to justify his price tag.

Lafferty has never been a prolific striker. Single-handed he will not replace the goals of Boyd nor the work rate of Miller. However, he has other attributes which he must learn to utilise more often. There have been signs of promise in his time at Rangers. He has on occasion shown a composure in finishing that comes closer to Boyd than any of our other forwards. His performance in the title winning victory at Tannadice at the end of last season was one of his best in light blue.

Lafferty himself as recognised that perhaps his own attitude has held back his Rangers career. He acknowledges that in signing for Rangers it went to his head a little and he thought he had made it. I will not chastise a 22-year old footballer for a bit of immaturity. I am a few years older than the Ulsterman and have been prone to the occasional bout of childish behaviour too. Footballers often lead sheltered lives where they are mollycoddled and do not mature quite as they should. Though, moving to the goldfish bowl of Glasgow soon wakes the players up to the dirty tricks of our media

Rumours were confirmed by Lafferty that his captain had to give him a wakeup call after a disappointing performance up at Pittodrie. Arguments between team mates are not unusual in football in the highly charged, testosterone filled dressing rooms of competitive sports men. We can only hope that Lafferty truly has paid heed to his captain�s stinging words.

Unfortunately I do not see a �£4million pound player in Kyle Lafferty. Nor a player that many regularly contend can flourish at a level not recently achieved by more celebrated Rangers forwards. I do however believe he is a better player than he has shown recently. His staunchest defence is that he has not been played in his favoured position. Miller and Boyd have been the first names down on the team sheet in recent months. With both unavailable and a run in the team in his preferred position open to Lafferty it is time for him to stand up and be counted!

Well he didn't make me eat my words today. :(

I guess the argument about a run in his preferred position still holds. Miller back for Tuesday night. Maybe a couple of games beside Miller will bring a player out of him?

Personally I think Novo has done more to start but Smith generally prefers to play Lafferty and perhaps a combination of height and strength (I know, I know) with pace is better than two pacy, hard working players?

None of the fringe players made a big impact today that said "I have to start next week" We knew we would miss Miller and Boyd but I also fel we missed Mcculloch in the middle too. Who would believe I actually mean that! I guess a lot of the same players will get another opportunity on Tues night to show what they can do. Today was all about getting a result and we did that...... just!