Tennent's New Shirt Sponsor of Rangers

http://www.gersnetonline.co.uk/2010/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=194:tennents-new-shirt-sponsor-of-rangers&catid=1:articles&Itemid=67

As most bears will be aware, the Carling shirt-sponsorship deal ends this summer and Coors (despite official comment to the contrary) have no plans to renew the deal with both sides of the Old Firm. This means several high profile companies have been in discussions with club representatives in recent months with a view to taking over the lucrative contract.

To that end, we can confirm Tennent's have agreed a deal with both Rangers and Celtic to become the new shirt sponsor as of next season. Their existing deal with the Scottish Football Association ends after the World Cup and with no Scotland participation there-in, the company have decided they can increase brand exposure via working with club teams who can offer global awareness via the Champions' League.

While the finances of the deal have not yet been confirmed, Rangers will be hoping to match the terms of the 2005 Carling monies and with the Umbro shirt manufacturer sponsorship also due to run out again this summer (but more complicated in terms of its association with JJB), this is one commercial positive for the financial battles ahead. This new deal is for two years with a 12 month option included.

:cool:

Cheers Frankie.

On Follow Follow, I get into the odd debate with people who suggest Adidas and Nike as potential new kit-makers.

Am I correct in saying that the JJB deal, as you hint at in your post, effectively prohibits us in that sense as there is no chance both of those brands would agree to JJB solely distributing their product?

I know Nike now on Umbro, but I've always doubted they'd use their top brand in such way.

Mate, I find the Umbro/JJB deal rather confusing. Like you say, JJB are responsible for distribution in the UK while Umbro responsible for the rest of the world. As such, there may well be conflicts for a global brand such as Adidas or Nike if they wanted to sponsor us once again.

The Umbro deal actually ran out last summer and there was no fanfare at all about it's renewal. That suggests to me it may be tied directly into the rest of the JJB deal and any new supplier would have to buy there way out of that. Can't say for sure though... ;)

I'm much the same.

The only thing I'd sy is that if it were possible to have Nike or Adidas on board, then I'd imagine ourselves, Wigan or Everton when they were under a similar deal would've been involved at some stage.