BROADFOOT still in talks but hopes his future lies at Ibrox

More...

KIRK BROADFOOT has admitted today that he wants to stay at Ibrox and help the club win more trophies.

The defender's current contract expires in the summer but he has been offered an improved deal to stay with his boyhood club.

So far he has yet to put pen to paper but the 25-year-old has expressed a desire to remain a Rangers player ahead of tomorrow

He said: "We are still in talks.

"I would love to stay here but at the end of the day I have to look after my future. Hopefully we can reach an agreement.

"From my own point of view I want to stay at Rangers and hopefully we can win the league and get back in to Europe.

"There is not really a bigger club than this in my eyes but at the end of the day I still need to look after my own career.

"The offer I have right now I am thinking over."

Kirk has also urged John Fleck and Danny Wilson to reconsider their decisions to turn down new contracts at Rangers at such an early stage of their careers.

He added: "It's up to them what they do.

"There is no getting away from the fact that they are very good players with big futures in the game but I don't see any harm in them staying for a bit longer.

"To be honest if they stay here and are going to be playing every week for Rangers there is no bigger stage to play on.

"They have got so long left in their careers and I am sure they will go on to big, big things but for now I don't see why they should leave a club like this."

Edited by Frankie

I think we all know Broadfoot's limitations as a player but over the piece he's been a useful signing and I wouldn't be averse to giving him a new contract - depending on what he's asking for.

:)

At a time when people are being laid off and taking pay freezes or cuts (or a 0.5% increase like me), and at a time when Rangers finances are very tight, I'm sure if he's been offered a pay RISE, it's definitely enough.

I can't really see him getting much more elsewhere than he would at Rangers. To do so he certainly wouldn't be stepping forward in a "career" sense, even if his bank account was better off.

Personally, I don't get this attitude where you try to squeeze every penny you can out of your employer.

IMO Broadfoot should just sign the new contract with Rangers,he is a decent player and has done well since he signed for us,however Kirk you should realise who you are playing for and be grateful that you have the opportunity to play for the team you support and you WILL NOT get a better move.

With our financial limitations we cannot afford to lose utility men like Kirky regardless of his limitations

Agreed,and in our financial troubled times I would not like to think any of the current squad are trying to hold out for more than they are likely to get or can afford.

Agreed,and in our financial troubled times I would not like to think any of the current squad are trying to hold out for more than they are likely to get or can afford.

I can't imagine Kirk will be too hard to deal with. Of course he could probably get a move to a Championship outfit for more wages than we'll offer but it doesn't match the prestige of playing every week for Rangers. I like the big lad, so much more comfortable at right back than Whittaker

I can't imagine Kirk will be too hard to deal with. Of course he could probably get a move to a Championship outfit for more wages than we'll offer but it doesn't match the prestige of playing every week for Rangers. I like the big lad, so much more comfortable at right back than Whittaker

That's an understatement. Whittaker is a nightmare at RB.

In a nut shell - welcome to the forums mate! :)