SECOND yellow rules skipper out of Buddies cup clash

More...

DAVID WEIR will miss Rangers' Scottish Cup trip to St Mirren next month after he was cautioned once more against Hamilton last night.

The Ibrox captain collected his second booking of this season's competition for dissent after a cynical foul on Nacho Novo by David Elebert.

Weir was furious with the challenge during the second half of the Light Blues' 2-0 win against Accies in their fourth round replay.

And in the melee that followed the tackle, the veteran stopper and Simon Mensing exchanged angry words.

The upshot of it all was that referee Charlie Richmond showed yellow cards to both Elebert and Weir for their parts in the incident.

Weir was also cautioned in the original tie with Hamilton at New Douglas Park 10 days ago.

He'll consequently sit out the game against the Buddies at their new stadium on either February 6 or 7 as he serves a one-match suspension.

Kirk Broadfoot, Lee McCulloch and Steven Whittaker are also just one yellow card from bans in the same tournament.

Edited by craig

The game off will do him good. Walter said pre-season that he'd be rested a lot more frequently this season yet he's only missed 2 games all season. I'm sure a lot of supporters would really love to see Wilson and Bougherra play together but i can't imagine Sir Davie will ever be dropped whilst he's here

He must be due a break anyway, poor old soul. Having served the odd ban myself, I'm confident he'll come storming back.

The anniversary of my Gersnet rehabilitation having just passed on Saturday, I can't believe I haven't managed an "infraction" for a whole year. Frankie must have needed those tenners.:whistle:

Weir is probably the least mature player in our squad at times, especially for his age, and his tendency to get involved in narky fisticuffs is one of his biggest weaknesses.

At times he is anything but dignified and professional.

And now it's got him suspended.

Weir is probably the least mature player in our squad at times, especially for his age, and his tendency to get involved in narky fisticuffs is one of his biggest weaknesses.

At times he is anything but dignified and professional.

And now it's got him suspended.

Bizarre post.

The other night's reaction was out of character for the most part from Weir. As a professional athlete his emotions and will to win occasionally get the better of him, but generally speaking Weir has an excellent temperament. :confused:

I agree with S_A. Strange post Danny. In his many games for us I can only really recall him losing it twice - once against the Tims and the other night - as for considering him undignified and/or unprofessional...... that just doesnt stack up.

If Davie Weir is either of those two derogatory terms then I shudder to think what the rest of our squad are....

I knew no one would agree, but I've seen it more than twice. Way more. It stands out every time because he's supposed to be the pillar of cool and calm. Where a lot of the time he is anything but.