After the thread on this promising young player a few weeks ago , does anyone think that after playing in his best position , just behind the striker ,that they might have jumped the gun a bit .

I certainly thought he had blown it after getting continually overlooked but yesterday I thought he was really composed , rarely wasted a ball and was very unlucky on a few occasions , thoughts !!

Regrettably disagree tbh.

I kept a close eye on Fleck yesterday and couldn't honestly work out what he was supposed to be doing. One minute up front, one minute very deep, not really doing much productive even when he had time on the ball.

I haven't written him off at all but I can't really see what the big deal is. For small players the step up from reserve to first team is massive when they don't have one prominent part to their game which makes them stand out. For example, Scott McDonald who's a good finisher gets away with being small. I still can't see what JF's particular strength is.

Having said all that, he's only 18 and I'm probablly judging him (in the analysis above) as a 21-22 year old because he came on the scene so young.

I would say give him more time, definitely. But he needs to show what he 'is' in my opinion because I honestly can't see much to get excited about yet.

It is by far his best position but implementing it regularly would require playing Boyd as lone striker and dropping Miller, two things that weaken our side

i would drop thompson and play him behind boyd and miller.

Jury remains out on Fleck for me as well. I think the lad suffers from being over-hyped and it is easy to forget he's very young and inexperienced. Like most of our players at the moment, he's suffering from being moved about the team and being inconsistent as a result. When he does get on the ball, he does look dangerous though so I'm excited to see more. However, he needs to be stronger physically and improve his decision-making. If he can do that, then he may do the business in the future!

PS: Wee Gregg Wylde also did well when he came on. Pacey, direct and confident - no reason why he shouldn't make the grade over the coming years along with the other lads we're seeing make the breakthrough. With all the hullabaloo of the financial problems and takeovers, it's easy to gloss over the fact we're seeing some impressive youngsters in the team this season. One positive to hold onto!

Fleck is a bit of a luxury. Can create things when on the ball, but doesn't contribute enough either as a midfielder or a forward to warrant a starting place.

I'm sure his contribution will improve with more experience though.

What exactly is it that is expected of this boy when he plays? does he have to turn in a 5 star performance to justify his selection? Score a hattrick every game?

How the jury is still out with some give the fact that the boy has spent 99% of his time with his arse planked on he bench is beyond me. FFs get off the boys back and give him a chance to find his feet. Hes certainly doing better than the likes of Thompson and whittaker who more than deserve any critisism aimed at them.

What exactly is it that is expected of this boy when he plays? does he have to turn in a 5 star performance to justify his selection? Score a hattrick every game?

How the jury is still out with some give the fact that the boy has spent 99% of his time with his arse planked on he bench is beyond me. FFs get off the boys back and give him a chance to find his feet. Hes certainly doing better than the likes of Thompson and whittaker who more than deserve any critisism aimed at them.

I hardly think anyone is on his back. He has to be assessed in the same way as any other first team member if he has to justify his place in the team.

Yes, Thomson has been rank, but I haven't seen enough from Fleck to say that he could play as a central midfielder and do the defensive job that is required in that position.

There is an argument for him playing on the left of midfield but Whittaker hasn't been that bad when he has played there and done a lot of work in that position that I don't think Fleck can do (yet). Personally I'd stick with Whittaker at the moment, although I could be persuaded to have Fleck on the left if Whittacker swapped wings and Davis moved into the middle.

Part of our problem is the limitations in other areas of the team, and we need all our players to do a lot of work, particuarly when Miller isn't in the team. A flair player like Fleck is therefore going to suffer.

This is the problem with discussing these things - an honest appraisal can be interpreted as being on someone's back. FWIW I never abuse Rangers players at the match because I think it's counter-productive. But chatting on the internet about strengths and weaknesses do no harm whatsoever.

I can only speak for myself but what I was saying is that I can't see what all the fuss is about regarding JF just yet. I accept it may be still to come and there's plenty of time and I'm cool with that. I'm not looking for hat-tricks or MOTM displays from him. I just want him to be as effective as possible. I would like to see him having more an end product, which I think he might be capable of. I accept he's only very young so I cut him more slack than with others. Just being honest about what I see.

Whittaker is hot and cold. I don't know why, but he is.

Thomson worries me. A hugely respected ex-player with excellent contacts at Ibrox recently told me that KT's "attitude is apparently not the best". When I hear that and look at his game I start to get concerned. I think he might deserve a bit of criticism tbh if he's not doing all he can to get in shape and contribute his best. People who aren't as fit as they could be or who don't try their best should not be in the team if at all possible.