http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/r/rangers/8488667.stm

Rangers manager Walter Smith has criticised the club's decision to say that they did not need to sell during the January transfer window.

Confirming that Sporting Lisbon's bid for Pedro Mendes had been accepted, he spoke frankly about the wisdom, or lack of it, of such an announcement.

"I didn't think it was a good statement to make at the time," said Smith.

"I don't think that statement should have been made when it was made because it gives the wrong impression."

Earlier this season, Smith told BBC Scotland in a post-match radio interview that the bank (Lloyds) was running the club.

Rangers and Lloyds Bank quickly issued statements denying that was the case, though there can be little doubt Smith knew the effect his comments would have.

While Friday's utterances were not as powerful, they were nonetheless further evidence of a gulf between what might be termed the "football people" and the "financial people" within the club.

Smith went on: "Football is more complicated than that. It's not a matter of needing to sell, at times it's the player's wishes as well.

"If a player wants to go, that can happen. There are always going to be transfers and they are not all going to be financially-based decisions that are going to cause a player to leave the club."

Though his mood was light-hearted, his frustration at how complex the financial situation is was apparent as he was asked if money would be available to spend in light of Mendes' proposed move.

"I'll need to find that out as well. It used to be we could find out a lot quicker than we can now," he added.

"I would hope a little bit of money would be freed up but we will wait and see.

"I won't take anyone unless it's someone I really feel can come in and make a difference for us."

Asked whether he had identified any targets, Smith replied: "It's not quite as simple as that because we had to get rid of a few before we could look so it's not really been possible to do that.

"It's just one of those situations that we are in. We can now at least have a look and, if it doesn't come to anything, we just carry on in the situation that we're in."

I dont think Mendes leaving significantly hinders us anyway. So I am not too bothered to see him go. Good technical player but often left you thinking he somehow wasnt doing enough or stamping his authority on a game.

Finances appear to confuse WS greatly at times, in the meantime we are sailing in comparatively calm waters long may it continue, and nary a white knight in sight......looks like we will be riding to battle under the flag of the present black knight, onwards and upwards, we welcome the chase and confounding the harbingers of doom.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/spl/rangers/my-decision-to-sell-pedro-mendes-insists-rangers-manager-walter-smith-1.1002491

Edited by wabashcannonball