Is Your Glass Half-full or Half-empty?

The morning after the night before then and am I the only one who feels somewhat hungover despite not even having the benefit of a few beers? As always, like most football fans, the excitement of the last day of the transfer window means alcohol isn't even needed to feel inebriated as the rumours, counter rumours and subsequent arguments rage. Who needs a pub when you have hundreds of people on a forum arguing the toss about who is coming and who isn't while Sky Sports News conducts this bizarre symphony? Then finally, when the window creaks shut and the realisation your greatest rivals have strengthened while we've signed no-one the online equivalent of a hangover kicks in.

So, do we reach for the tonic of a positive spin on the situation or, as is often easier, do we take our minds of the bad feeling by feeling sorry for ourselves? Is your glass half-full or half-empty? Allow me to help you decide!

First off, let's look at the downside of the last few days.

Celtic now have a better team than before January. There, I've said it and anyone who suggests otherwise is simply being churlish while hiding from the truth of the matter. Any team who buys seven new first team players to replace seven players who were hardly setting the heather alight in Scotland, is likely to improve. Add in the fact these players are internationalists and a few of them respected professionals from leagues betters than the SPL, then I wouldn't blame any Rangers supporter for being somewhat worried. The addition of Robbie Keane is also fascinating and while his recent form in England has hardly been worthy of his inflated fee/wage; his overall playing and goalscoring threat means Celtic will be confident of scoring the goals to win any match.

To sum up, these signings will reinvigorate the fans and players at Parkhead so the likelihood of Celtic dropping as many points in the closing stages of the season as they did in the first half, is low. As such, their chances of winning the league have increased - to deny this would be foolhardy.

Conversely, we've lost a key player, have allowed several fringe players to leave on loan and our squad has not improved as a result. Therefore, it would be easy for our fans and players to lose confidence and question their own chances of success. Undoubtedly, we're now going to enter a crucial period of the season and the mental games of the last few days way well influence the physical battles ahead.

All the more reason then to look at the positives.

Firstly, we still have the same core of players who have given us a seven point cushion (in real terms). The loss of Pedro Mendes and Jerome Rothen is disappointing from a creative point of view but neither player contributed all that much to this season so far. Their injury and poor form meant other players stepped up and developed the lead we have at the top of the SPL. Indeed, despite injuries and constant changes of personnel in January, that lead was extended so our current squad has shown it is good enough and deep enough to cope with the very worst that luck and circumstance can throw at us. It is extremely unlikely we'll lose as many key players over the rest of the season as we did over the last 4-6 weeks.

In that regard, it is important to outline that the advantage of having such a settled team of players who know each others styles should not be under-estimated. Not losing our key players such as McGregor, Bougherra, Davis, Miller and Boyd shouldn't be something to celebrate per se but it is a positive worth highlighting. These players will be as crucial as any at Celtic and all five are just as good (or better) then their immediate opponent in green. The same goes for the rest of our squad - all of whom have now been over the course of a championship battle before. Can we say the same about Celtic?

Another reason to be constructive is that our financial situation is improving while Celtic are certainly taking a gamble on their own future. We've managed to remove the burden of the wages of two of our highest paid players and bring in a decent fee which should decrease our debt further and allow some flexibility for those nearing the end of their contracts. The situation of Kris Boyd is somewhat different to that of Nacho Novo, Kirk Broadfoot, John Fleck and Danny Wilson but all five players can now surely be dealt with suitably to ensure we continue the settled theme into next season and beyond.

Meanwhile, Celtic - who did have a healthy balance sheet - have now spent millions of pounds to risk their financial future on winning the SPL. Sure, they've improved their chances, but those of their fans suggesting the title is now theirs because of a few signings mid-way through a season are being premature. Certainly if they don't catch Rangers and win the title the loan players that arrived yesterday will find their stay in Glasgow a short one. And they won't be replaced next season. Add in two seasons without the Champions' League Group Tage pot of gold, then they only rainbow they'll see is a red, white and blue one as the rain falls on their parade.

Of course, we're now looking into a future none of us know the content of. To that end, some say fate can't be avoided and that may be true. I say different though as we can all influence our own future. Yesterday, saw Celtic attempt to instigate a positive change on theirs and I doubt anyone will argue that their chances of success have improved. Unfortunately, our club didn't do the same so it is difficult to disagree when some suggest our chances have weakened.

However, I do disagree. We are still in front and we still have a fine group of players capable of delivering the championship to Ibrox for the 53rd time. For that reason, don't let the negatives dictate your thoughts over the coming days, weeks and months. Yes, be frustrated but channel that frustration in a positive manner by supporting the players and management team as we always do - loyally, in good voice and welcoming the chase.

I'd like to raise a glass then - a half-full one - to the 53rd!

Aye!

:spl:

Edited by Frankie

Got to admit and this may surprise a few folk but my glass is half full. I'll admit that I'm jealous that Celtic have managed to sign Keane, he's a fantastic player and I've always enjoyed watching him play but we're 10 points clear and can only fling the league away. Keane can score 50 goals in the 4/5 months he'll be here and Celtic can win all their games yet we'll still win the league.

It's going to be a bumpy ride but bring it on.

Frankie, don't we win our 53rd league title this season? :confused:

Got to admit and this may surprise a few folk but my glass is half full. I'll admit that I'm jealous that Celtic have managed to sign Keane, he's a fantastic player and I've always enjoyed watching him play but we're 10 points clear and can only fling the league away. Keane can score 50 goals in the 4/5 months he'll be here and Celtic can win all their games yet we'll still win the league.

It's going to be a bumpy ride but bring it on.

Frankie, don't we win our 53rd league title this season? :confused:

Exactly the frame of mind we need as fans. Don't buy into the hype!

Typo RE: 52 as you'd have noticed from the suffix I used. :o

I kinda thought there might be a nice surprise bit of news to wake up to today, but obviously not. Oh well! Not to worry! I too have a hangover, but mine is very booze related. :whistle:

Glass half full of course! ;)

Dont know bout the rest o you guys but we should just hand them The spl title now as they hav signed the Messiah as far as i can make out in the media the day,didnt know that you handed out the spl title in Febuary.W.A.T.P We welcolme the chase.:spl::spl:

Thought that but that is being rather negative... Boooo! :flipa:

It's being realistic. If anyone believes that we will drop no points, excluding OF games, between now and the end of the season they are living in cloud cuckoo land.