Spiers: My Wellies Take Revenge

I have avoided buying the Times and Sunday Times since the oafish one was employed to wax pishical on sporting matters Calendonian (see how easy it is to write like Graham!), but on espying the snow continuing to cover my corner of Johnstone this afternoon, I redirected my portly gait toward the newsagent. 'Another day of soggy boots wasting my valued, 22 year old carpet,' I thought. 'Fresh newspaper required. What better,' I further ruminated, 'than the increasingly jowly visage of Scotland's leading exponent of The Sectarian Industry with which to wipe our shoes?'

It was with this pleasant prospect in mind, added to the always enjoyable experience of perusing the grudging praise/furious accusations of our appalling media, that I retired with a cup of tea and a biscuit to see what 'The Thunderer' had to offer.

First disappointment was that in his report, there was no picture of Captain Sectaria. A temporary blow - when I turned the page, there was an almost full page photo of our elegant scribe, casually attired and perfectly placed for a snowy welly. That page now adorns the space behind my front door - all callers welcome.

Second disappointment, and the point of this aimless farrago, is the comments he made in his match report. I shall spare you the cant of most of it, but this sentence bears repeating:

For some, this is what the Old Firm is reduced to: a pathetic, tit-for-tat game of 'whataboutery', in which competing factions motion toward each other shouting:"Look at them! What about them!" So what we had was a minutes silence in part ruined by both ends of the ground.

I wonder at this intelligent man, capable writer, Christian activist. Is he just 'at it' or does he really believe that which he writes? Either way, what he puts forward to the public must be taken at face value as his opinion; in that case, he's beyond satire now. On a weekend when Celtic's fans, and only Celtic's fans, showed disrespect for a man who did them no harm, and indeed represented the sort of pan-European positivity they are so keen to foster when it suits, and on a weekend when one of their supporters displayed his ignorance of Argentine history in a sad attempt to insult a man who suffered grieviously in a war - makes no odds if you agreed with the war or not, good manners dictate better behaviour - Graham Spiers chooses to criticise both halves of the Old Firm equally. One wonders if he will be so even handed next time we (as we assuredly will) let ourselves down.

Unsurprising but dispiriting, Graham Spiers is such a disappointment.

Is he just 'at it' or does he really believe that which he writes? Either way, what he puts forward to the public must be taken at face value as his opinion; in that case, he's beyond satire now. On a weekend when Celtic's fans, and only Celtic's fans, showed disrespect for a man who did them no harm, and indeed represented the sort of pan-European positivity they are so keen to foster when it suits,

Not quite sure about this one Andy. They were talking about it on Sportsound last night & apparently there was retaliatory noise from our own support after the scum broke the silence. If that's the case, then that's exactly what's got gimp-bhoy looking down his nose again.

I have avoided buying the Times and Sunday Times since the oafish one was employed to wax pishical on sporting matters Calendonian (see how easy it is to write like Graham!),

My enjoyment for the bracketed portion of this sentence constitutes some sort of undiluted reverie.

It's a very long time since I read anything written by Graham Spiers. Now I seldom bother reading about something he's written. It's all sooooo predictable and repetitive.

Agree totally he just puts the same words in a different order, The theme is always the same. How his editor puts up with him printing the same crap time and again is beyond belief. It is like a painter turning up for work and painting the same wall every day. I doubt if a painter would get away with it but Spiers seems to.

Agree totally he just puts the same words in a different order, The theme is always the same. How his editor puts up with him printing the same crap time and again is beyond belief. It is like a painter turning up for work and painting the same wall every day. I doubt if a painter would get away with it but Spiers seems to.

Yes, but Spiers hasn't written anything original in years. He writes to order from a very limited menu supplied by the few who will actually give him employment in return. He's a little whore, nothing less.

Not quite sure about this one Andy. They were talking about it on Sportsound last night & apparently there was retaliatory noise from our own support after the scum broke the silence. If that's the case, then that's exactly what's got gimp-bhoy looking down his nose again.

There were Rangers fans who broke the silence,I was disappointed at that,yes a few of the BHEASTS started shouting but the Rangers fans should have held their own silence and boo them after the silence, the Rangers fans who booed during the silence let themselves and Rangers down IMO.

Thursday evenings on Radio Snyde's SuperscoreboardXtra are addictive listening. Ra Objective Host of ra Show, Bitter Martin pairs up with ra Bhoy in Corduroy for one hour of garrulous indiscipline. It's increasingly obvious that Bitter feels most comfortable broadcasting in the company of Spiers and the resultant relaxation ensures he lets himself down, again, and again.

Spiers has always flashed his credentials ie a licenced peddler of mantras, and these Thursday on Snyde are no different. The last five Thursday has seen him state, repeat, and continually reinforce the following pysh : 'everyone accepts there was institutional bias against Celtic thirty, forty years past, but not now'. Bitter, as objective host of ra show, never interupts, never intercedes, never asks for proof, never demands qualification, never ......... because it's his preferred prejudice ans as already stated, he is extremely comfortable with Spiers spouting such pysh.

Interestingly, Bitter shares the same studio three or four times a week with a long term colleague, Derek Johnstone; who achieved the vast majority of his winners' medals 30-40 years past. Does the objective host of ra show realise that Spiers is continually trashing and devaluing DJ's achievements? I suspect he does but does not care, the sensitivities of Rangers, Rangers players(including former ones), and Rangers supporters do NOT count.

I will finish by relating a series of factual events of 40 years past. It's 1969, I was ten and looking forward to the upcoming old firm Scottish Cup final. The fly in the ointment was our star centre forward, Colin Stein, he had just been sent off for violent conduct. The cup final was five weeks away and Stein went in front of the three man SFA Disciplinary Committee at Park Gardens and received a six week suspension(in those days, any suspension was a period of time as opposed to today's number of games). Six weeks meant Colin, Colin Stein could not play in either the final, or any possible replay. The Chair of said Disciplinary Committee was Sir Robert Kelly ie ra Sellik's long term Chairman.

Integrity! Sellik had none then, it's the same today.