Well maybe not.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/editor-s-picks-ignore/don-hutchison-skipper-davie-weir-is-walter-smith-s-boss-of-bosses-on-field-of-play-1.1010708

Diehard Rangers fan Don Hutchison today identified the driving force behind the cash-strapped Ibrox clubââ?¬â?¢s incredible bid for a domestic Treble ââ?¬â?? his old mate Davie Weir.

Hutchison played with Weir at former club Everton and with Scotland and has been delighted to see him enjoying great success in Glasgow in the twilight of his playing days.

The ex-striker, now carving out a career for himself as a television pundit with Sky Sports, reckons the centre-half has been the main man for Walter Smith�s side this term.

The 39-year-old defender helped the Gers keep a clean sheet once again in the Old Firm win over Celtic on Sunday and take a huge step towards retaining the Scottish title.

The experienced player, along with Allan McGregor, Madjid Bougherra, Sasa Papac and others, has ensured Rangers have the best defensive record in the whole of Britain this term.

In fact, Hutchison has been so impressed with his friend�s incredible evergreen displays he has half-considered dusting off his boots and coming out of retirement himself.

He laughed: ââ?¬Å?I have been texting Ally McCoist asking him for a game for Rangers. I am almost the same age as Davie. If he can do it then so can I! Ally texted me back the other day and said: ââ?¬Ë?Youââ?¬â?¢re not far away son!ââ?¬â?¢

ââ?¬Å?I played with Davie with Scotland and with Everton for a number of years. Davie has always played with his head.

ââ?¬Å?He has never, even at his peak, been blessed with great pace. But he is such an intelligent guy he has never let that hold him back.

ââ?¬Å?Playing at the back, he can see the whole picture in front of him, can envisage the runs an opposition centre forward or midfielder is going to make and take the necessary action.

ââ?¬Å?He has, too, always kept himself really fit. He is a very dedicated player.ââ?¬Â

He added: ââ?¬Å?Davie is the perfect man to have as a captain as well. I was captain at Everton under Walter Smith for a while and know how he operates. He wants to be as close to a dressing room as he can be without interfering.

ââ?¬Å?Davie will be a good go-between. He is the link between the manager and the dressing room. Davie will tell him how the lads are feeling, when they need a day off and when they need to train more.

ââ?¬Å?He isnââ?¬â?¢t a shouter and a bawler either. He is a calm, intelligent type who leads by example on the park. He is the sort of guy the youngsters will look up to as well. The job he does as skipper should not be underestimated.

ââ?¬Å?Both Davie and Walter deserve enormous praise for how Rangers have done this season, given the difficulties the club has off the park.ââ?¬Â

Hutchisonââ?¬â?¢s great strengths as a player were in putting the ball in the back of the net and carving out chances for others ââ?¬â??something he did with regularity for every club he represented in his stellar career.

Yet, he believes the uncanny knack Weir and the Rangers rearguard have at repelling opponents must have a positive knock-on affect on hit men Kris Boyd and Kenny Miller.

He added: ââ?¬Å?I read that Rangers have the best defensive record in Britain and was not surprised. Nobody has scored more than one goal against them in a league game. That is some record.

ââ?¬Å?It must be fantastic to be a striker in that side. If you know your back four, or back five if you include the goalkeeper, are not going to give away more than one goal it takes a lot of pressure off.

ââ?¬Å?If, though, your defence is conceding a lot of goals then, at the back of your mind, you are thinking you are going to need to score two or three times and that puts pressure on them.ââ?¬Â

The 26-times capped Gateshead-born player, who will be working for Sky when Scotland play the Czech Republic in a friendly at Hampden tonight, had a chance to play for his boyhood heroes and turned it down.

And he predicted Weir, who also grew up following the Light Blues, will not give up the chance to represent them lightly when his current contract expires in the summer.

He said: ââ?¬Å?I had the opportunity to play for Rangers when Dick Advocaat was manager and didnââ?¬â?¢t take it. That is something I have always regretted. My dad was a fan and I grew up supporting them.

ââ?¬Å?It must be an unbelievable feeling to play for a club you actually supported. Especially a club steeped in so much tradition and history like Rangers. A lot of footballers never get that chance. It must make you give that extra five per cent.

ââ?¬Å?Davie is no fool. He will know when it is time to call it a day. But he is still fit, is playing regularly, is enjoying his football and is doing well. I see no reason why he canââ?¬â?¢t keep going.ââ?¬Â

Whenever Davie Weir does call it a day I hope every Rangers supporter will acknowledge just how big a contribution he has made to this club. He might not have played for a Rangers blessed with money or superstars but he's given honest endeavour a good name again and reminded me of former times when Rangers players commanded respect because of what they did on the park and not in the tabloids.

Its a shame Weir hasn't moved up here as I'd like to see him offered some sort of coaching role (assuming he wants to go in to coaching) at the club when he finally retires. He's been a model pro throughout his career and his advice to young players both on and off the pitch would be invaluable.

He's been the cornerstone of our team since he arrived and I hope he gets a proper send-off from us.

David Weir, for me, is the finest individual to grace Ibrox since Richard Gough

The one thing that stands out about him for me is his presence, he has a real air of authority. Doesn't scream or shout, just leads by example.

I doubt you'll find a player who's is or has been more committed to the Rangers cause.

A wee side note about the Hutchison family. My old man played along side his dad at junior level before big Tommy went pro...............Okay, i know it's not very interesting.