I think the weird thing is that we always seem to play badly in the cups and yet out of six, we've won four, lost in the final to Celtic in another and are still in the quarter-finals of one more.

The weirder thing is that some fans will find that unacceptable...

I agree about the ref's inconsistency - if the sendings off were to the letter of the law, where were the free kicks prior to Thomson's red according to the letter of the law?

Both reds could easily have been yellows so why take the draconian route both times when you've been lenient on other foul play which also if punished would not have changed the balance of the game so dramatically.

I really think the ref has been affected by the Celtic crap and our team in exquisite poetic justice rose above the contrived adversity and stuck it to them.

Our team have had plenty of bad decisions - and the contrast with Celtic was incredibly stark last season, but instead of whinging and blaming and disparaging others, they just got on with it and did the job. It shows one of the huge differences between us and them. Every manager they have seems to get sucked into their mentality and I think it's great to have a manager like Smith who epitomises the Rangers way, portraying the deepest of dignity and speaking with wry humour and quiet wisdom.

And with an amazing winning mentality, he certainly seems to have more knowledge of the subtleties of the game than most give him credit for...

I like the fact that you've highlighted that we weren't playing for ET & penalties S_A. Walter made that clear when he took off our best penalty taker.

I must admit to being puzzled as to why Walter took off Boyd instead of Miller because I thought Miller had mostly been even worse than Boyd, but somehow it paid off and Walter looks like he got it right - again. :)

I DID like the Novo for Stevie Smith substitution. That was definitely a good choice.

I think the weird thing is that we always seem to play badly in the cups and yet out of six, we've won four, lost in the final to Celtic in another and are still in the quarter-finals of one more.

The weirder thing is that some fans will find that unacceptable...

I agree about the ref's inconsistency - if the sendings off were to the letter of the law, where were the free kicks prior to Thomson's red according to the letter of the law?

Both reds could easily have been yellows so why take the draconian route both times when you've been lenient on other foul play which also if punished would not have changed the balance of the game so dramatically.

I really think the ref has been affected by the Celtic crap and our team in exquisite poetic justice rose above the contrived adversity and stuck it to them.

Our team have had plenty of bad decisions - and the contrast with Celtic was incredibly stark last season, but instead of whinging and blaming and disparaging others, they just got on with it and did the job. It shows one of the huge differences between us and them. Every manager they have seems to get sucked into their mentality and I think it's great to have a manager like Smith who epitomises the Rangers way, portraying the deepest of dignity and speaking with wry humour and quiet wisdom.

And with an amazing winning mentality, he certainly seems to have more knowledge of the subtleties of the game than most give him credit for...

Which is exactly what the BHEASTS set out to do,then are not good enough to win the league so they will try and cheat their way to winning something by trying to influence the referees

This game conveyed much of my thoughts about the current Rangers team and Walter, much as the Scottish cup final against Falkirk last season.

The first half again showed to be a pretty damn limited football team and the standard of football on offer can be rather rotten at times. Our central midfield of Thomson and McCulloch are plodders with little great talent and again we have no natural width. Boyd and Miller will continue to do well in Scotland but will never cause any continental sides any problems. But we're still organised and strong for our domestic league.

We're far superior to any team in Scotland at the moment but there really is no half decent opposition. If Martin O'Neil had stayed at Celtic things would be rather different.

Which is exactly what the BHEASTS set out to do,then are not good enough to win the league so they will try and cheat their way to winning something by trying to influence the referees

Gus Mcpherson chipping his nonsensical oar in about David Weir not being sent off for a barely noticable foul on Higdon a couple of weeks ago, may have helped to influence Thomson's decision too. Which ref is going to fancy that amount of mhedia earache for a week?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/st_mirren/8553720.stm

I have to admit I did question Walters judgement when he took off Boyd, I mean not just for his penalty taking but just the fact that he could pop up with a goal at any time even when he is having an off day. However, once again I was proven wrong by the master and Naisy produced a quality cross for a goal that had similarities with Torres's goal against Man U but nowhere near as many superlatives.

I wonder if Naisy will earn a start at Tannadice now?

I have to admit I did question Walters judgement when he took off Boyd, I mean not just for his penalty taking but just the fact that he could pop up with a goal at any time even when he is having an off day. However, once again I was proven wrong by the master and Naisy produced a quality cross for a goal that had similarities with Torres's goal against Man U but nowhere near as many superlatives.

I wonder if Naisy will earn a start at Tannadice now?

Wouldn't surprise me if Naismith got a start on the right at Tannadice, especially if Beasley isn't 100%. Thomson and McCulloch are both suspended, so it'll more than likely be Davis & Edu in central midfield assuming that Davis is fit to play. That opens up the right wing position for one of Beasley, Novo, Naismith, Lafferty or Fleck. Whittaker could also play right wing if Broadfoot was fit, but I can't see Walter going down that route.

I must admit to being puzzled as to why Walter took off Boyd instead of Miller because I thought Miller had mostly been even worse than Boyd, but somehow it paid off and Walter looks like he got it right - again. :)

Seemed like a no-brainer to me. Miller is far more mobile than Boyd and unfortunately Boyd had to go.