What was Walter's message this time?

Starting with Little and Fleck up front. Boyd, Miller and Novo on the bench.

Not worrying about the Scottish Cup? - Why appeal the Thomson sending off if you want to concentrate on the league?

Our players need a rest? - Since the start of January Boyd has missed at least 8 games and Miller 7 games. Novo has hardly been an automatic first choice. I can't see why all 3 need a rest, but are fit enough to be on the bench, and Little requires to be picked in front of all of them. Why not rest the 40 year old who has played every minute of every league game if you think our players need a rest?

It does not make any sense to me and perhaps there were non-footballing reasons behind last night's team selection. Was this Walter sending a message that he thinks that the squad is not strong enough and he will not stay if that does not improve?

Whatever the reasons, the team selection is baffling and we are left out of the cup, and I'm left down in a morning that I should be feeling other emotions.

Angry and bemused loyal.

There may have been something beside the message of juggling players for 4 difficult games in 10 days as we attempt to win the league but I just think the CL bounty of the SPL title is the target and he can't afford to lose sight of that.

IF that was the case though, then perhaps he'd have been better resting players last Sunday which would have allowed a Miller or Novo to have started last night

Certainly, we lack depth but I felt there were too many changes last night which, although resting some players was agreeable, they could have been minimised to increase our chances of winning.

I'm as gutted as anyone else at getting beat but the CL pot of gold is making me as short-sighted as perhaps our management team could be accused of.

For example, even if you accept, the need to rest and rotate the following stood out for me:

Lafferty, who was reasonable at times, is not a wide player and was more effective through the middle. Little does not have the ability for the first team. Disappointed that Edu didn't do a lot more and hopefully we've seen the last of Naismith as a central midfielder.

Meanwhile, guys like Beasley and Fleck didn't do a great deal for their reputations either - although the latter was unlucky to be taken off.

The players that played definitely had the quality to win the game.

If we are that worried about the league then why are we not resting Weir? He can't have it both ways.

I think that everyone knew we faced an aerial threat last night so moving Papac inside and playing Smith at left back probably wasn't an option.

But everyone knew that Fleck and Little would get little change out of the Utd defence, so going with them wasn't an option. But he did.

He changed it when he realised it wasn't working though.

I think we could have started Boyd and Miller as well but that would still have left us short in midfield. I think 4-5-1 would have been a better option last night actually given the midfield players we had missing.

was it to show how weak and shallow our squad is?...

I think that's what BD is suggesting and it does have some merit...

Perhaps a shot across the bows of the board ahead of the CL income next season - as well as the delay on new contracts being offered?