Bernard Rejoins Newcastle

OLIVIER Bernard returned to Newcastle on Friday and admitted: "I wish I'd never left!

The French full-back spent four and a half years at Gallowgate after moving from Lens in 2000, and he returns to St. James' Park after being released by Scottish giants Glasgow Rangers.

Bernard told Newcastle World TV: "When you spend so many years with a club like Newcastle, I just wish I'd never left.

"That was probably the biggest mistake I've made since I've been in football.

"I'm here today and I hope I can be here for the next couple of years.

"It's Newcastle, it's a big club and maybe you only realise that when you leave it.

"I soon as I passed through the door I realised the mistake I had made.

"Today is payback time. I want to play for this club and show everyone I'm back for good.

"When the opportunity came to come back I just had to jump on it and I know the family are happy to come back here.

"Since I left I have been dreaming about wearing the shirt again, and today I have done that. Like I said, it is great to be back."

Normally, I would say this is madness. But all they had was Babayaro, so..